K-31: Feasible to convert to .308?

PDA

natedog
November 25, 2004, 06:37 AM
Would it at all be possible to conert a Swiss K-31 to .308 or .30-06? I love my K-31, but not the $3/10 cost of ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "K-31: Feasible to convert to .308?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
canucksvt
November 25, 2004, 06:45 AM
Natedog, I too am very interested in this conversion. If someone knows the answer please, please help us out!!!

Preacherman
November 25, 2004, 08:11 AM
It's been done - there is one gunsmith, somewhere in (I believe) Pennsylvania, who does this. Locally, in Louisiana, I've seen one such conversion. It's complicated, given that it involves trimming the rear of the barrel, re-chambering, and setting back the shorter barrel in the action: but it's not unusual, as far as I know.

Here's one source: http://www.lprgunsmith.com/K31_rifles.htm

Ian
November 25, 2004, 09:49 AM
I know it is possible, I saw one in ,308 at a gun shop in Denver a year or two ago. Don't know where it came from, though.

rust collector
November 25, 2004, 10:43 AM
But I suspect someone would be doing a big business in conversions if it were. I have 3 K-31s and reload for them (fortunately, they use a .308 diameter bullet). I have read that the machining of the breach of these rifles is relatively complex and doesn't lend itself to setting the barrel back. This could be a myth propagated by gunsmiths so they can charge more, but is in keeping with my perception of Swiss machinists tending to make things a bit more complicated "because they can".

I hope I'm wrong, but I'll bet there wouldn't be many in the original caliber left if rechambering was simple.

WhoKnowsWho
November 25, 2004, 11:23 AM
I saw one of these marked as being .308 at a local pawn shop. It was a bit overpriced with the "RARE!" tags and all that though.

swingset
November 25, 2004, 01:14 PM
For the cost of the conversion, or probably less, you can buy a simple single-stage reloading setup (Lee), dies and some brass and just churn your own out. I know, that's the course I took.

.284 win brass can be easily reformed to 7.5 swiss, and Graf's has 7.5 brass too. The bullets are std. .308 pills, so reloading is not only cheap but will inevitably yield more accurate rounds than a re-chambered .308 shooting milsurp or factory loads.

Dave R
November 25, 2004, 06:47 PM
What swingset said.

I took the same path he did (different rare caliber, though.) Reloading is not hard, nor time consuming (unless you get the bug bad...) and it'll allow you to shoot your K-31 for less than buying normal .308 ammo.

valkyrie0002
November 26, 2004, 09:42 PM
Get the dies and load your own. Grafs has the correct brass at a good price and use common .308 bullets.

I am loading many of my own rifle calibers because it is usually much cheaper.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
November 26, 2004, 10:27 PM
I saw a half-dozen K31's converted to .308 about 20 years ago when they were still pretty rare in the US...and when 7.5 Swiss was priced higher than if it were made of solid gold. If you do a search for k31 and .308 here and on TFL you may see another thread from a long time ago on this subject.

It's an expensive proposition from a time of labor expenditure, hence it'll be questionable in terms of return for your money. 7.5 is every bit as effective as .308. Pick up some good reloadable brass and roll your own. You'll end up being a better shooter for it, and be richer for the experience.

Regards,
Rabbit.

If you enjoyed reading about "K-31: Feasible to convert to .308?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!