How much do you take to a gun show

PDA

bratch
November 25, 2004, 09:37 PM
For those still hitting shows (seems to be dwindling):

If you were just going to a show to kill a Sat/Sun morning with no guns in particular you wanted but with an eye always open how much money do you take? Do you not take any for fear of compulsive buying habits?

If you enjoyed reading about "How much do you take to a gun show" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hypnogator
November 25, 2004, 09:45 PM
Usually take $100 or less, just to keep out of trouble.

Of course, most gun shows now feature a convenient ATM. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

ny32182
November 25, 2004, 09:59 PM
Usually I only buy ammo at gun shows now (Georgia Arms), so I bring a couple hundred for that. Thats normally about it.

RaySendero
November 25, 2004, 10:36 PM
How much do you take to a gun show?

Depends on how much I can scrounge up - Usually between $50 and $500. But like ttbad... most of time just buy ammo and accessories. However I always take some to trade - Sometime you can trade at wholesale price but must but at retail!

Vitamin G
November 25, 2004, 10:37 PM
I took $150 and my glock (left in the car) to buy some wolf 7.62

Walked out with a Colt Delta Elite, no glock, and no 7.62

SCORE!!!

lee n. field
November 25, 2004, 10:43 PM
Whatever's in the "gun" jar.

Standing Wolf
November 25, 2004, 10:53 PM
I always carry a concealed check book.

psyopspec
November 25, 2004, 11:09 PM
Depends. A lot of times if I'm in the market for a particular gun I'll bring a trade and enough money to make up the difference. Generally about a hundred bucks will do it for some ammo and any knick-knacks. I find myself going to less and less shows lately because of all the neo-nazi crap booths that make me ashamed to be lumped in with the "gun show" crowd.

I always carry a concealed check book.

Don't forget your B.U.G. (Backup Green) just in case you're really tempted...

GreenFurniture
November 25, 2004, 11:10 PM
I take as much as I can, you never know when you're going to run into that one piece you've been looking for.

Monkeyleg
November 25, 2004, 11:14 PM
What I usually have: $20 to $100. The only time I take more is when I know I'm looking to buy, and I haven't been in the buying mode for a couple of years.

At a gun show last year, a friend and I went into an office to discuss some concealed carry issues. While we were talking, he pulled out a wad of bills from his pocket.

"Whoa, Jeff!," I said. "What are you looking to buy?"

His reply was very matter-of-fact: he always brings at least $5,000 to a show, just in case he finds something he either wants, or knows he can resell or trade for a tidy profit. ;)

scratchy wilson
November 25, 2004, 11:26 PM
Usually around $1000; sometimes more, sometimes less....

PlayTheAces
November 26, 2004, 01:00 AM
Generally a couple of hundred. I can usually carry about a hundred bucks worth of ammo as long as I don't park too far away. Another hundred just in case something catches my fancy. ;)

I gave up the idea of finding a decent, reasonably priced, actual "gun" at a gun show years ago. That just ain't gonna happen around here. Maybe in a different part of the country, or in a parallel universe................................

9mmepiphany
November 26, 2004, 01:19 AM
i like to go to the SGN show up in reno.

i usually hit the tables first for about an hour to see how much i take into the show (i start with $500). if i'm in a hurry, i'll shop first and try to win back what i've spent...usually stop at boomtown on the way back home for a comp meal. :p

Mark in California
November 26, 2004, 02:17 AM
I usally have between $500 and thousand. Most time I return with the same amount. Bought some ammo at my last gunshow.

Clean97GTI
November 26, 2004, 02:30 AM
I'll bring the average price for whatever I am looking for.

For example: Next show, I'll bring about $400 for a S&W 1076. If that won't cut it, I'll wait and find one that is priced a bit better.

I always try to have enough to buy some ammo or a new knife if I'm not shopping for a new gun. $100 usually covers it.

Highpower1
November 26, 2004, 02:35 AM
I usually have a few hundred bucks on me, but I do carry my cc with me there in case i run into something that I just can't live without.

Kenneth Lew
November 26, 2004, 04:02 AM
$1,000 - $3,000 depending on show.

Rembrandt
November 26, 2004, 06:47 AM
$1000 cash...credit cards & check book if needed.

Dealers will sometimes work a better deal if you talk cash

Ol' Badger
November 26, 2004, 07:44 AM
CHeck book here too. The Jerky guy from Jerky Hut gets some money off me too.

FPrice
November 26, 2004, 08:29 AM
I like to take at least $200 to be able to buy any ammo for which I have a need or to buy any supplies (books, parts, etc.) which may look good. I HATE to use my credit card there UNLESS I see a firearm I really want and it's a licensed dealer.

photo_guy
November 26, 2004, 10:00 AM
I depends on what I am looking for. If I'm just going for ammo and misc supplies I bring $100 - $200. If I am in the market for a specific gun I bring enough to cover the cost plus $100 or so.

oneshooter
November 26, 2004, 10:27 AM
I usually bring whatever the Loving Wife says WE can afford.

DWS1117
November 26, 2004, 12:03 PM
If I am looking for certin things then I will take what I have available for those items. If not I usually take nothing but entrance fee.

Kamicosmos
November 26, 2004, 12:10 PM
I usually only take whatever cash I have on me, so I voted 0-100. I usually only shop for reloading components or accessories at the shows. I usually don't shop for guns at them. But, I do have my ATM card and when I remember, I grab my check book, just in case.

bama1911
November 26, 2004, 12:34 PM
Usually take a couple hundred for ammo. Have not found many good deals on guns at the shows lately. When the Knob Creek shows come around I will take all I can afford + somemore $. But that is the one place that I can always find thing to buy,have to limit it to only one visit a year.

USMCsilver
November 26, 2004, 12:55 PM
If I go with something in mind, then I usually take the max amount that I've agreed to spend. This applies to actual firearms.

Now, if I am just going, then I usually only take $30-$40 in case I see some little doo-hicky that I might "need".

However, having said all that, I do have a debit card and a credit card. So, fast cash or a quick charge will cure whatever ails me. :D

BlkHawk73
November 26, 2004, 12:59 PM
Depends on what's in the gun fund. May be $100 and it may be $1000.

Ed Ely
November 26, 2004, 01:03 PM
I do like to shop and I do carry the cash. Never know
what may be lurking out there to grab me!

WhoKnowsWho
November 26, 2004, 01:15 PM
$500 just in case...

deputy tom
November 26, 2004, 01:41 PM
I take every dime I own and trading stock.You just never know what you're going to run into at the show.

Vitamin G,I think I saw your Delta at the Expo-mart prior to your buying it.If that is the one,it sure is a looker.Congrats.tom.

nhhillbilly
November 26, 2004, 04:17 PM
Gun show. I bring as much as I can. I from time to time find a person selling a gun (non dealer) that needs cash. Quick cash can save you a lot of money sometimes.

dukeofurl
November 26, 2004, 09:56 PM
Anything I have available to me.

Usually a minnimum of $1000, but I've been known to bring as much as $4k.

When someone is looking to sell, you've better be in a condition to buy. Saying "Let me call my wife and talk her into letting me buy this Delta Elite for $600" is an instant turn off for any potential seller.

Honestly: I think each spouse should have their own checkbooks. If I get married and I'm bringing home the bacon, as long as the bills are paid and everything is getting taken care of and I see something at the show that I want and have money for - I'M BUYING IT. No ifs ands or buts or pleading to the wife.

mcmoyer
November 26, 2004, 10:23 PM
No ifs ands or buts or pleading to the wife.

:evil:

We'll remember that !!

skich
November 28, 2004, 02:37 PM
Several hundred - more at the ATM if I need to....

Missouri Mule
November 29, 2004, 07:07 AM
I usually take $10. It costs between $4-$6 to get in and I usually grab something to drink.

I very, very, very rarely find anything I want at a typical gunshow that I am willing to fork over the dough for.

For me gunshows are mostly for entertainment purposes only.

Cacique500
November 29, 2004, 11:57 AM
Whatever's in the "gun" jar. And if the "gun" jar is empty, there are other jar stashes that can be hit. :D

I usually try to take around $300 to $400 - mainly for ammo & reloading supplies.

Remington788
November 29, 2004, 12:41 PM
Depends on how much moneyis in the gun fund.

FireStar_M40
November 29, 2004, 01:18 PM
I only take $100 in cash. Depending on the gun show I go to I may have to pay for parking ($5.00). Of course entrance fees are a couple of $$ and then there's food/drink. I try to eat before hand because of the high prices they charge. Who wants to pay $3.50 for a hotdog and $2.50 for a can of Coke/Pepsi..?.., not when you can get them both from the street side vendor for $2.25-$2.50

I'm like some of you in that I carry a credit card that has a few thousand available on it.. as well as two debit cards that have a couple of thou apiece. What's really nice though, the gunshows I go to have my bank literally around the corner.. or within a half mile of the show.

If I find something I want and am able to make a better deal on a cash transaction, I'll put $50 cash down then pull the cash from the bank via either one of my debits. About the only time I can't deal with a debit is when it's a individual who's selling.. or for something that's only a couple of bucks. Other than that, alot of dealers will sell for debit what they would for cash.

FireStar_M40

HankB
November 29, 2004, 01:29 PM
I usually carry around $2k in my "gun show" wallet, plus a couple of hundred in my everyday wallet.

I haven't tapped into my "gun show" wallet for a couple of years now . . . which can be regarded as either good or bad, depending on how you want to look at things.

JohnBT
November 29, 2004, 02:21 PM
More than $500 cash, a Visa card with a $20k limit, and my checkbook with $5-$10k more.

The most I've ever spent was almost $400 - $310 on a 442, some ammo and some snacks. Okay, I did order a safe once, but I could have gotten it at their shop for the same couple of grand and they had to deliver it one way or the other.

Am I discouraged after all these years? Nope. One day I'll find something at a gun show other than overpriced beaters, habanero jerky and salted cashews. There's a show this weekend.

Be prepared.

John

P.S. - The gun show deals, and most of the guns, are so bad that the gun store up the road puts on extra staff when there's a gun show in town.

CAS700850
November 29, 2004, 04:10 PM
Never more than around $100, because cash burns a hole in my pocket at a show. When I have seen something I want that runs more than that, I have used the cash as earnest money, and brought the rest back to complete the deal later. Most dealers have been willing to work with me. If not, thanks anyways.

ricedw
November 29, 2004, 04:26 PM
At the last show I went to I took $600 cash and the credit card. Unded up only spending about $100 on a small safe and a few accessories. I left pretty disapointed as far as the deals that I was hoping to find.

Smoke
November 29, 2004, 07:12 PM
I just carry normal walking around cash. Nothing extra.

Always walked out with the same amount I walked in....I have yet to buy a thing at a gunshow.

Smoke

Archie
November 29, 2004, 07:17 PM
I've been looking for a couple of guns for several years now. I've seen a couple of them, but for whatever reason, didn't have the readies. Even forgot my checkbook on one occasion.

Cosmic Law of the Universe: If I have enough money to buy the dadburn thing (whatever it may be) outright, no one will have one.

davera
December 1, 2004, 10:53 AM
I keep a envelope (the gunvelope) in a desk drawer and stock with spare funds as they are available ... $20 here, $10 there, sometimes $50 or so. What ever is in the gunvelope goes to the gun show. Sometimes the gunvelope can be enhanced by a trip to the ATM. Right now there is about $300 in the fund and a gun show on December 11th. This show probably warrants a boost of 100 or so before going because it seems there are more private sellers just before Christmas. It's how I got my Marlin 1894 last year.
I go in with a general list of what would interest me that might fit the amount of money available. The 1894 was tops on the list last year, this year a 336 in 30-30 would be snapped up if the price was right ... or an S&W 19 or 13 could also empty the gunvelope.

JohnBT
December 1, 2004, 12:13 PM
It just dawned on me that we aren't expected to buy guns at gun SHOWS. If they really wanted us to buy guns they'd call them gun SALES. But nope, they're shows and I'm just looking. ;) It's cheaper than taking in a movie and better exercise to boot.

If they just want to show the same overpriced guns time after time and try to win first prize in the Prettiest Table contest, well who am I to argue.

Now I don't feel guilty for just going and looking year after year.

John

Kramer Krazy
December 1, 2004, 12:42 PM
I usually take just enough to get into the show. If I see anything I like, I run down to a local ATM. I figure this will kill any impulse buying. If the item is more than I can take out of the ATM at one time, I have another account to draw off of with another bank. I always have my credit card on me, too, but prefer to not leave a paper trail, unless buying something needing registering. If those three don't do it for me, chances are, the guy will still have it after the show and I will call him first thing Monday monrning. If he sells it, it wasn't meant for me to own it.

Seafarer
December 1, 2004, 05:33 PM
I take whatever is in the "fun fund" and whatever I am willing to trade is in the trunk.

Old NFO
December 1, 2004, 11:33 PM
I've been looking for a couple of guns for several years now. I've seen a couple of them, but for whatever reason, didn't have the readies. Even forgot my checkbook on one occasion.

I have to agree with Archie, usually I carry a minimum of $500-1000. I did get a good buy last year at Tulsa, bought a DPMS Panther 20" bull barrel for $500 off a guy while waiting in line. I was in Dallas last weekend and ran across a 1913 Navy issue 382** 1911 restored by Doug Turnbull that was "only" $4000- Of course, I was on travel and just stopped through for the day, and didn't have that much on me and the guy wanted cash... Just my $%^* luck!!! Oh well, there will always be another time.

sm
December 1, 2004, 11:45 PM
When I attended gun shows, just my normal pocket money. I have not attended one in years. Last one I attended , I walked out with more cash than I entered.

That couple really really wanted what I had, I think his happy dance was for Case Knife Collection , the wife went nuts over the Shotgun. I didn't even pay for the ticket to get in, my ice cream cone or the Jerky. I was in and out in 30 minutes.

deputy tom
December 2, 2004, 12:57 AM
As I stated above "every dime I own" and the reason is I once had to drive around for quite a while with a Buddy whom "just had to have" a something or other and all of the AMT's in the area were wiped out due to the gunshow.He finally did get the money and subsequently did buy what ever it was but not without my complaining the entire time.tom. :scrutiny:

dsgrntldPW
December 2, 2004, 10:57 PM
I try to hit 2 or 3 shows a year. I normally try to have $500-700 a show. This weekend is our big show in Phoenix. For that I'll have about $2K and a couple guns I haven't been able to sell yet. I'll stick a price a little on the high side for each, hang a sign on my back, and do a little trolling. Maybe I'll get a nibble or two, or they may become trade bait. This show will probably be about leather, accessories and an inline muzzleloader for me. But if I see one of those new Ruger Alaskans....who knows? Are they available yet, or are they still in the tease stage?

Fbranjr
December 2, 2004, 11:26 PM
********** went to shiat on the weapons, we mise well make it bow/arrow shows.. ;( I remember the good old days when the shows were just insane. I went to a show last weekend in Orange County with $200 bux... I bought 250 9mm, 1 glock knife, 1 box 00 buck shot. 3 Beers, spent little more then $100 but before that oh god atleast $500 I would save for that 2 month span and get whatever... I miss the good days gotta move out of kali... Arizona? Texas? Kansas? Anyone?

If you enjoyed reading about "How much do you take to a gun show" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!