Marlin 336-44???

PDA

Fred Fuller
November 25, 2004, 10:49 PM
Can anyone tell me anything about Marlin's Model 336 chambered in .44 Magnum? I ran across one not long ago (saddle ring, straight grip) and had never seen or heard of such a thing before- and I thought I kept up... .

lpl/nc

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 336-44???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
November 25, 2004, 11:36 PM
Marlin made .44 Magnum 336s in the 1960s. (Obvious, you saw one.) Feeding of the revolver cartridge in the .30-30 action was not great so they brought back the 1894 type action for the shorter rounds.

disconect
November 26, 2004, 04:28 PM
I have a 1893s in 44 mag and like the feel of haven't had it long enough to shoot much

babyeagle40
April 6, 2005, 03:44 PM
HA HA. I've got a 336 in 44 magnum, and it is one of my favorties. Got it from my uncle, no idea where he got it. they only made it for about 4 years from '63-'67.
someone made mention of feeding probs. whatever? This baby works like a champ, heck I even shot some Speer gold dots through this thing and right into every thing I aimed at.
whoever owned it before put a set of Williams peep sights on it, which I like better anyway.
I'd like to find out what it's worth, but I'll never part with it--just plain fun to shoot. :neener:

George Hill
April 6, 2005, 06:06 PM
If you find another one, let me know!
I've used a borrowed one to take more than a few deer... and I've been looking for one ever since. Great rifle.

Malamute
April 6, 2005, 07:12 PM
I had one that didn't feed worth a whoop either, and know another guy that had similar problems, The later 1894 action seems to work best with the 44 mag round. The gun is lighter also.

Glad you guys had good luck with yours, but they did seem to have problems in general with that caliber and model.

George Hill
April 6, 2005, 07:17 PM
The problem was with the feed tray. Once adjusted they were just fine.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 336-44???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!