Ammo review: IMI 9mm 158gr Subsonic SUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKSSS!!!!

PDA

cpileri
November 26, 2004, 07:32 PM
I was kinda excited about trying this stuff. So I loaded up a magazine of 15rds in a 9mm auto, a CZ some guy had.

BLUF: totally inconsistent.

Some went off with a chort, muffled bang- cool that's what I wanted. It didnt cycle the slide but that's OK.

About 50% though went off with a regular loud BANG and did cycle the action. It was just like regular ammo.

I checked the loud ones for pressure signs. none. But still, I have a couple hundered left that i may or may not find a use for. Maybe I'll pull it for components, try to find the powder charge differences if any, and reassemble them all to the subsonic specs. I dunno.

Anyway, i was disappointed.

Maybe its because they were designed for supressed subguns, but i cant imagine it would be any better consistency-wise in a different platform that the one i used.

C-

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo review: IMI 9mm 158gr Subsonic SUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKSSS!!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Matt G
November 26, 2004, 07:42 PM
I would try it through a variety of weapons before out of hand declaring it bad ammo. That's kind of specialty stuff, with special needs. I shot a submachinegun match the other day where a guy was using that stuff in his UZI (in an attempt to knock over the heavy steel plates we had on the rack.). Only problem was, he had feeding problems that day with all ammo. We never got to see how much better the 158 9mm did over the other guys' 115 and 124g stuff. (FWIW, with heavy steel plates that won't knock over even with a 12 o'clock solid hit from your SMG, you just can't beat a stream of 230g FMJ .45 out of a 1928 Thompson, as I proved. ;) )

Double Naught Spy
November 26, 2004, 07:58 PM
Regardless of the weapon, it should have a consistent report and consistent cycling action if it is consistently loaded. From the sounds of it, it isn't.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo review: IMI 9mm 158gr Subsonic SUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKSSS!!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!