Just bought an old S&W Model 10-8. I have some questions.

PDA

ezypikns
November 27, 2004, 04:08 PM
I'd like to have the weapon re-blued. How much would I have to pay a gunsmith for that service? Also, here's a really dumb question: Will it hurt to dry fire it without a snap cap?

If you enjoyed reading about "Just bought an old S&W Model 10-8. I have some questions." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dienekes
November 27, 2004, 06:12 PM
Brownell's flat rate guide suggests $140-200 for standard refinish for handguns. I suppose that would vary...but when I picked up a 10-6 a few years ago S&W wanted around $200 for a refinish.

Ruger is still pretty reasonable on repairs/refinishing but otherwise it's easy to put more into the gun than the original purchase price these days.

In my case the gun was in otherwise nice shape and honest wear doesn't bother me. The worn finish doesn't affect the performance at all.

Dienekes
November 27, 2004, 06:17 PM
Neglected to answer the second part re dry firing. I doubt that a moderate amount of dry firing would ever hurt the gun; but in view of (again) the cost of repairs if the firing pin broke, the use of snap caps or at least fired cases to cushion the blow might be prudent. Up to you.

Personally I have never used snap caps in 40 plus years. The only guns I avoid dry firing are old style SAs and of course percussion revolvers. Haven't broken anything yet.

Standing Wolf
November 27, 2004, 07:52 PM
Most gunsmiths don't do their own rebluing, if only because the E.P.A. requirements are an enormous hassle, since most of the chemicals are toxic. I can't recommend a good bluing shop to send it to, but can recommend you not send your gun to Checkmate Custom in Florida.

Dummy rounds are a lot cheaper than replacement parts and gunsmithing services.

LeonCarr
November 27, 2004, 07:56 PM
Does S&W still blue guns at the factory, maybe through the performance center? If they do, I would go through them.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

nhhillbilly
November 27, 2004, 07:57 PM
Dry firing will not hurt. I do use snap caps are they are cheep. Dry firing is one of the best training aids you can do to be come better.

dinosaur
November 28, 2004, 05:10 AM
There was a batch of Model 10s in the 80s that had bad bluing. I don't know the - # but I think the serial #s started with 9D or 10D. We had to send them back to Smith for warrantee. Get ahold of the factory as they do reblue guns. Maybe you'll get lucky.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just bought an old S&W Model 10-8. I have some questions." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!