72 Hour Kit

PDA

STW
February 28, 2003, 05:46 PM
My wife keeps a 72 hour emergency kit on hand and is busy updating it. For some reason all my clothes in it seem to have shrunk and she's tossing in a pair of reading glasses for me. I'm considering adding some type of firearm. Understand this is buried and forgotten unless there's a need. I'm considering either the Henry AR-7, Springfield M6 Scout, or the Savage 24F.
I like the AR-7 because it stores so compactly, the Springfield because it's dual use with minimal cost, and the Savage because of the dual use (but it costs a lot to just bury). I'm looking for pro and con for any and all.

FYI (AR-7 = .22LR semi; M6 Scout = .410 & .22LR or .22 Hornet all single shot; 24F-20 = 20GA & .22LR, .22 Hornet, or .223; 24F-12 = 12GA & .22 Hornet or .223 all single shot)

If you enjoyed reading about "72 Hour Kit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chipperman
February 28, 2003, 05:50 PM
Why not an SKS?
Semi-auto, cheap, very reliable, and in a larger caliber.

Pheonix
February 28, 2003, 05:58 PM
Why would you bury the kit?

Derek Zeanah
February 28, 2003, 05:59 PM
This is just a 72 hour kit, right? Might be more of a risk of meeting up with unfriendly people, than of needing to hunt for food....

Any chance you could just throw in your ccw piece at the last minute? Maybe something like a 30-30 instead?

I just don't see much use for a .22 in most "gotta leave town on short notice, but don't plan on being gone long" situations. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "72 Hour Kit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!