India to manufacture AK rifles?

PDA

Slater
November 28, 2004, 12:07 PM
http://www.russiajournal.com/news/cnews-article.shtml?nd=45964

Guess they aren't satisfied with their home-grown INSAS rifles.

If you enjoyed reading about "India to manufacture AK rifles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
George S.
November 28, 2004, 12:40 PM
Why not? The wages are about as cheap as in China, the workers are pretty much careful and dedicated to their jobs.

No different than US corporations outsourcing jobs to other countries. Dell Computers tech support phones go to India and AT&T Wireless Communications use India for their customer support.

DougCxx
November 28, 2004, 02:41 PM
I say that it's about time we had a high-quality precision AK variant.
And we'll get top-notch phone support as well, no doubt.
~

4v50 Gary
November 28, 2004, 02:56 PM
Do you think the Indians will be nice enough to sell us their surplus FNs?

Destructo6
November 28, 2004, 05:20 PM
No different than US corporations outsourcing jobs to other countries.
It's not being "outsourced." The AK is being licensed to India for domestic use only, just like the AK was licensed to Romania, Egypt, Bulgaria, etc.

Number 6
November 28, 2004, 06:06 PM
Does anyone know what caliber they are going to manufacture that AKs in?

Slater
November 28, 2004, 06:19 PM
This will be the standard 7.62x39mm flavor.

DaveH
November 28, 2004, 06:24 PM
Kind of off topic, but that is an interesting site.
I like this one: "Thailand offers chickens for Russian arms"

Jesse308
November 28, 2004, 06:27 PM

According to the article, "India is not entitled to exports the rifles to their countries." :(

Destructo6
November 28, 2004, 11:07 PM
According to the article, "India is not entitled to exports the rifles to their countries."
That was in reference to the license to produce AKs, meaning they can manufacture AKs for India's use, but cannot export them for international sales.

IIRC, India did not receive a license to produce FALs from FN, so I'd be a bit leery of them.

Redlg155
November 29, 2004, 01:21 AM

If their surplus 7.62 ammo is any indication of how good their weapons are...well, I'll pass!

Good Shooting
Red

Number 6
November 29, 2004, 03:39 AM
This will be the standard 7.62x39mm flavor.

I'm just curious, but where did you get this? I know the INSAS is in 5.56 so a change over would be a pretty significant leap. Its certainly possible that they would change over, but I have not heard anything about such a switch.

Slater
November 29, 2004, 09:08 AM
India's counterterrorism forces (and various other assorted units) already use the AK-47 heavily, and in fact periodically import batches. One of the stated advantages of using it is the ability, when in "enemy" territory, to uuse captured ammunition if necessary. Also, they seem to like the 7.62x39 cartridge for what they perceive is a somewhat greater terminal effect.

www.bharat-rakshak.com is a good source of Indian defense info.

MrMurphy
November 29, 2004, 10:59 AM
They already heavily use Soviet weaponry (tanks, planes, etc) so this isn't exactly a shocker. The design works, they know it works, it's easy to make/fix/use, and their troop's training levels are about right for the AK to be "good enough" for their use. I don't know if they're gonna make one of the newer AK103 types or the old AKM. The AK103 would make sense (polymer stocks, folding stocks, slightly better made, etc), these are similar to the Russian issue AK74M in 5.45 except for the caliber.

shoobe01
November 29, 2004, 01:15 PM
The INSAS has been made, in small quantities, for some years now. And in 5.56 as said above. I wonder if this is just a business deal; paperwork, with no actual production change. Like, instead of being sued over patent infringement or something, they agreed to license technology for the in-production INSAS rifles? Maybe.

The FALs I see in service over there are as used as any gun I have ever seen.Apparently they work, but I don't want one to build up into a kit.

Mk VII
November 29, 2004, 05:15 PM
not only AKs, but you can buy knock-off FALs, knock-off MAGs, knock-off Sterlings, knock-off Bren Guns and knock-off Browning HPs to name but a few.
http://www.ofbindia.com/defence_sector/weapons/small_arms.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "India to manufacture AK rifles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!