need a semi auto rifle...Help

PDA

Ed
February 28, 2003, 06:59 PM
I have decided that I need some sort of fun gun, semi auto type. I applied for a C&R premit last week so I'll wait and get the SKS when that comes in and I don't want an AK at the moment...but will probably get one later. Here are my questions, and please pardon the ignorance. I picked up a copy of the Shotgun news and they have FAL's L1A1's some HK parts in an american reciever gun and I know absolutly nothing about them. Starting at $299. Can someone enlighten me? I will be looking in the $400 range. I also have considered a Mini-14, used, for under that price. What should I do?

If you enjoyed reading about "need a semi auto rifle...Help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
standingbear
February 28, 2003, 08:39 PM
fals never had hk parts that i know of. most fals though have various receivers in them-depending on the receiver,imbel is a good made receiver as are dsa receivers for the fal, some of the others seem to have quality issues.the hk parts gun probably was the cetmes that are out for around that price.the cetme is a spanish version of the hk91.ive heard good and bad about them,seems a headspace issue with them.have it checked beforehand by a competant smith before buying it.i would also recommend getting a good source for .308 ammo for the cetme.this way youll know what kinda money youll be spending on ammo.the romainian sar1s really arent a bad ak for the price right now.seen them in a flier for 275 bucks.they arent the most attractive ak but alittle rough.they seem to work fine and accuracy is good.look for a cant in either the gas block or the front sights(a cant is where it wasnt installed true to the barrel/receiver.crooked)some minis are good guns,have read somewhere about accuracy issues.hicap mags(the good ones) will be expensive.the ones i had did ok with 55 grain fmj ammo and no rapid firing.any other questions,email me,ill help you if i can.

gun-fucious
February 28, 2003, 09:18 PM
this is a good entry level FAL:
http://www.falparts.com/firearms.asp
These are original IMBEL factory rifles that have been assembled with IMBEL factory receivers, precision machined from forged steel; this rifle complies with 922(r) US Mfg. Pistol grip with cleaning kit, sear, hammer, trigger, floorplate, magazine follower and a Zero Climb muzzle break.
$675.00

spend any less
and yer gonna spend more

DMK
February 28, 2003, 09:54 PM
I know absolutly nothing about them. Can someone enlighten me? FAL Central: http://www.falfiles.com/forums/

Don't forget to use the search engine! :D

Those $299 jobs are probably built by Century. They have a pretty bad rep even though some do get the occasional excellent rifle from them. Do a search at FAL files for "Century" or "Drunken Monkees" and you'll be enlightened! ;)

A good FAL is likely going to cost a bit more than $400. However, with careful shopping for parts you could probably have a nice one built for $500 +/- a bit. Again, search "the Files".

cheygriz
February 28, 2003, 11:07 PM
If you're looking for a fun gun, and don't feel that you need mile long range capability, get a .223.

The ammo and components are far cheaper than .308, and recoil is almost non-existent.

you should be able to get a used AR-15 type for around $600-$700. They're well worth it.

After having owned three different mini-14s, I couldn't in good conscious recommend them for anything other than a boat anchor.

Save your money until you can afford an AR-15. You won't regret it.

Intune
March 1, 2003, 12:40 AM
Romanian SAR 1, 1ea: 10,30,40 rnd mags $289.00 1,000 rnds 7.62 Wolf hollowpoint $85.00 Lock, load, pull, BANG! Repeat as needed! Can't beat it.

telewinz
March 1, 2003, 09:42 AM
Hand inspect any of the rifles redone by Century Arms. I would NEVER buy sight unseen a product from Century. That being said I purchased an IMBEL receiver FAL redone by Century Arms and would put up against any FAL out there and not walk away ashamed. The deals are there you just have to be careful.

Chipperman
March 1, 2003, 01:30 PM
Standingbear is right. The L1A1/FAL are one type or rifle and the HK91/G3/CETME are another species entirely.

Gas vs Roller lock

HK parts will not fit on a FAL unless you use a big hammer. ;)

Bainx
March 1, 2003, 06:11 PM
Intune has it right!

If you enjoyed reading about "need a semi auto rifle...Help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!