Everyone should own an AK!!!

PDA

TheFederalistWeasel
November 28, 2004, 05:20 PM
Everyone should own an AK!!!

Well I finally, after all these years bought an AK, a sweet Romanian AK with nice wood furniture and a side folder stock.

You can view my new play pretty here on Greg Bells bump in the night thread

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=113403

1,000 rounds of non-corrosive ammo and five 30 rounds out the door for $600 tax, tag and title.

Mr. Bell and I left the shop and headed to the range where we proceeded to blast away, making Bill Clinton proud, close to 400 rounds w/o one single hiccup.

Accuracy is very nice.

Home we went where we cleaned it up and snapped some pics.

Everyone should own an AK, they are simple, cheap, cheap to shoot and reliable. Everyone should have one, a couple of spare mags and a brick of ammo in the closet just incase.

This gun will now take its place as my go to gun around my rural country house. Any interlopers or unsavory types who might find their way onto my property will be greeted with 30 good reasons to leave.

;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Everyone should own an AK!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PMDW
November 28, 2004, 05:21 PM
I agree. Are you buying for everyone? :)

wasrjoe
November 28, 2004, 05:45 PM
Here here! I love mine. And if you don't like AKs or can't own one, get an SKS! And if you can't get an SKS... may God have mercy on your soul.

BlkHawk73
November 28, 2004, 05:58 PM
You can have the one marked for me. I had ones yrs ago, before the AWB, and maybe 2 yrs later got rid of it. It was fun at first but that fun dwindled. Maybe it's because I just can't get off on full-auto rate fire at ...nothing or that I'm just not real big on these "evil" guns. Either way, I had one had fun for a bit and passed it along to another. I just enjoy putting a well placed single shot into a given specific target. To each thier own I guess. Justso long as YOU enjoy them - that's the impt thing. ;)

BigG
November 28, 2004, 06:06 PM
I agree, except the ergonomics suck (to me). A Colt SP1 is so far superior in my mind my AK sits in the rack. YMMV

standingbear
November 28, 2004, 06:12 PM
I agree. Are you buying for everyone? yeah..me too.After getting a close look at the wasr10 that my nephew has,I wish Ida had the money to buy one when he got his.everything is straight and the wood doesnt look bad at all.I had to file the mag catch alil for him at the top because the hicap mags werent coming out easily at all...now..they are a snap.he got a case of ammo too..we went through half that case that next day and the wood was a bit hot..it started to smoke so we put it down and alternated between the wasr and my bushmaster shortie.

Iagree too so when can you have the cash so I can get 1 too :D

Flinter
November 28, 2004, 06:16 PM
I've owned AK's for quite a few years now. I have an SA-M7 and an SA-93. Both Bulgarian.

Probably the most reliable, rugged semi auto ever designed.

I agree completely.

Mannlicher
November 28, 2004, 06:19 PM
I have owned several. Currently, I have just one, its a Bulgarian SA93. I have 'loaned it' to my son. God knows if I will ever see it again.
I do miss it, and may yet wind up with another. There are indeed, battlefield accurate, reliable, and fun .

Lone_Gunman
November 28, 2004, 07:53 PM
You might look really bad in a civil lawsuit if you shoot a guy up with an AK dont you think?

I would consider using something else for defense around the home, and save the AK for the range and a true SHTF situation.

TheFederalistWeasel
November 28, 2004, 07:58 PM
Judge: “Did you shoot him in self defense”?

FedWeasel: “Naw yer honor, I shot him in the @$$ when he jumped the fence”!

Actually I want to get the Chief to approve it as my patrol carbine…

PATH
November 28, 2004, 08:02 PM
Do you mean to say that there are gun owners who don't own an AK of one type or another? :D If you don't own one then you should! Get a Glock while you are at it! :D

Ky Larry
November 28, 2004, 08:54 PM
I love Commie guns. My AK has been a ball to shoot. It's simple, rugged, reliable, cheap to feed, and combat accurate. :D

benEzra
November 28, 2004, 10:00 PM
SAR-1 owner here. I agree, they're great all-around rifles. And look really cool, too. :cool:

You might look really bad in a civil lawsuit if you shoot a guy up with an AK dont you think?
I used to think that, but I have followed things pretty closely and have never actually heard of an incident in which the fact that the self-defense gun was nontraditional-looking made any difference.

If you shoot to stop, it shouldn't be a problem. If you keep shooting after he's down, you have big problems, regardless of the gun used.

Greg Bell
November 28, 2004, 10:06 PM

That is why I put pictures of unicorns and teddy bears all over mine!

mwv4
November 28, 2004, 10:09 PM
I've gotta agree, I love ak's. My SA-M7 has'nt give me a problem in the 3 yrs I've owned it.

JimJD
November 28, 2004, 10:30 PM
Yes and Yes.

I love mine! So easy to clean. Accurate enough. Takes a 'lickin and keeps on 'tickin! Like the 7.62x39 too.
A SA-M7 is on My list. Can't wait to get one of those. :D

kfranz
November 29, 2004, 11:31 AM
In addition to the above mentioned reasons, the satisfaction derived from bashing your own receiver into shape with a BFH is substantial..... :D

Simple tools, simple build.

ny32182
November 29, 2004, 12:17 PM
I love my VEPR K. It would be my go to self defense/shtf gun at this point.

MAUSER88
November 29, 2004, 05:59 PM
You got only one??? Get a few more as they are one fun gun to shoot.

Jon Coppenbarger
November 29, 2004, 06:43 PM
Have a SAR-1 and have had several over the years but kept the sar-1 as it does work. Having a amd-65 build done and went to the shop and it was complete enough to test fire and will pick it up later this week.
Plan on another one but trying to decide if I want a Krinov or another amd.

TheOtherOne
November 29, 2004, 07:57 PM
I can't get enough AKs. I have two SAR-1's, one Bulgarian AK-74, one Hungarian AMD-63 and an AMD-65 waiting to be built and I'm still plotting on how to get the funds for more! :)

What's not to like about them? Fairly inexpensive to buy and shoot, easy to hit what you aim at, easy to clean, easy to build, 100% reliable in my experience and best of all they are ugly enough that the average person thinks they are too evil to own.

Mk VII
November 29, 2004, 08:09 PM
stock is too short for me - bruises my cheek

Trumpet
November 29, 2004, 09:53 PM
Noooo...Everyone should own a Garand. :evil:

Rich

Ky Larry
November 29, 2004, 09:55 PM
MK VII, I had the same problem. (I'm 6'3") I added a 2" extension to the stock and solved the problem. IIRC, I got the extension from Center Fire Systems.

zougou
December 1, 2004, 02:15 PM
Everyone should own an AK74 -- a lot less muzzle flip and very comfortable to shoot.

Gewehr98
December 5, 2004, 08:42 PM
Romanian SAR-1. It's got pretty laminated wood furniture. Too bad I'm replacing it with K-Var U.S. black plastic stuff, a U.S. trigger group, and a sidefolder. :D

Gordon
December 5, 2004, 09:05 PM
I once had 10!! Sold 6 right before Kali ban. The idea was to pass out to neighbors (bought 10,000 rounds before Y2K) when SHTF for defense of "our" valley. I now have 4 (and a 7.62X51 RPK in Oregon); 2 Hunkies now dressed as AMD63's and 2 pre ban Yugo's one a factory under folder. still have 6000+ rounds left since 1999 and I have fired one Hunkie quite a bit and it still looks pretty new! :)

SteelyDan
December 6, 2004, 12:43 AM
My WASR-10 is one of the least expensive guns I own. If I could only keep one of my guns, however, it might be the WASR. Just a ton of fun, utterly reliable, and more accurate than I am.

Joe Demko
December 6, 2004, 11:39 AM
Somebody else can have the one you think I should own. I owned a Maadi and have shot Romanian, Chinese, and other AK's. Nothing about the experiences leads me to want another of Kalashnikov's children. Ergonomics and accuracy were middlin' to poor. Kind of a heavy beastie, too, for all it is. I'll take an SKS when it comes to 7.62X39 semiauto carbines. I'd prefer an AR-15 over either.

Greg Bell
December 6, 2004, 11:42 AM
Somebody else can have the one you think I should own. I owned a Maadi and have shot Romanian, Chinese, and other AK's. Nothing about the experiences leads me to want another of Kalashnikov's children. Ergonomics and accuracy were middlin' to poor. Kind of a heavy beastie, too, for all it is. I'll take an SKS when it comes to 7.62X39 semiauto carbines. I'd prefer an AR-15 over either.

I have always preferred the AKs because of my reliability fetish. In the end, I split the difference and bought an HK 93. Best of both. :evil:

jojo
December 6, 2004, 11:56 AM
I've got 2, and a handful of SKS's and I love em. If I could afford it I'd buy more AK's.

jojo

Gordon
December 6, 2004, 12:59 PM
HK93 vs AK 47 = guns for the classes versus guns for the masses! Seriously my HK93 weighs at least 2 pounds more than my Hunkie AMD ! The AMD throws a bigger bullet (not near as accurately though)1

confinedbythecurtain
December 6, 2004, 06:49 PM
Please tell that to my State Government. Please.

If you enjoyed reading about "Everyone should own an AK!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!