California buyer at Reno gun show ??


February 28, 2003, 06:56 PM
Can a Californian buy a gun at the Reno show? Do they have CA transfer dealers there? Do the guns have to be CA "approved?"

If you enjoyed reading about "California buyer at Reno gun show ??" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
February 28, 2003, 07:24 PM
I don't KNOW the answer to any of your questions, but I can make some guesses.
In Las Vegas, a pretty fair number of the gunshow exhibitors are from **********. If you want to buy something, the gun has to be transfered to a Nevada dealer. There is one dealer there that does nothing but transfers and the paperwork on all guns sold at the show. That's right, every gun sold at the show by a dealer goes through him and you have to pick it up the following week at his shop.
Based on this I would imagine that there will be plenty of ********** dealers at a Reno show considering it's proximity to **********. I would imagine that if you wanted to buy a handgun, it would have to be transfered to a ********** dealer or if the dealer happens to be from ********** you would have to pick it up at their shop with all applicable laws enforced. By the same token I have no idea what the laws are regarding the purchase of guns by out of state residents. I am almost positive that you can not buy a handgun out of state although I imagine it could be transfered to a dealer in your state, and I am sure that all laws regarding a purchase in your state apply. I know it used to be that long guns were OK for purchase by a non-resident, but I recently ran into a problem trying to buy a shotgun in Ohio. I was told that they can only sell to a resident of a state bordering Ohio. I don't know if this is a federal law, a state law, or the guy didn't know what he was talking about.

February 28, 2003, 09:11 PM
normal long guns shouldn't be a problem.

The CA banned long rifle (AR's, AK's) stuff you will definitely have a problem. While not exactly illegal to sell it to you it's kinda a gray area similar to FAL parts kits.

Handguns is another story, you'll basically need to do an out of state transaction where you have them send it a FFL in CA and it needs to be CA approved.

I'm not a lawyer so I may very well be wrong.


Denton T. Young
March 1, 2003, 12:24 AM
When I bought a rifle at a Reno gun show, I didn't have to show any ID.

I know that you (Californian) can't bring home a handgun. The gun must be sent to a CA FFL.

six 4 sure
March 1, 2003, 01:50 AM
FWIW while making my last gun purchase in Nevada (Reno) before moving, I witnessed someone from CA purchase a Beretta 92. I could be wrong but it sounded like the gun was going to be sent to a local CA dealer where the proper paperwork had to be completed. I would assume the same laws apply for a gun show.


El Rojo
March 1, 2003, 04:18 PM
I tried to buy a K-31 from a Big 5 in Las Vegas. They said no sales to PRKers. I produced my C&R FFL. The guy said he would have to call the state hotline number. The stupid lady on the other line still said no! I am positive she didn't know what she was doing because there is no way the State of Nevada can stop me from using my Federal Firearms License to purchse C&R eligible guns. So I had my friend buy it and then I bought it from him. Idiots.

So based from my experience at Big 5, you might want to call the show promoter and try to get a better answer. It might just depend what idiot is manning the telephone up in Carson City that day.

March 1, 2003, 05:27 PM
So other than that, how did the K31 work out for you ?

El Rojo
March 2, 2003, 07:41 PM
Me? I love it. I ought to get a few more from AIM. If you boys and girls want a real surplus shooter, the K31 is it. Better than any of my other surplus guns. Heck if I put a scope on it I would think it would compete with the any of my firearms.

March 2, 2003, 09:14 PM
El Rojo,

I was under the impression that Big 5 doesn't sell C&R rifles directly to a Type 03 FFL holder.

El Rojo
March 3, 2003, 11:30 PM
Good point. I was told by one Big 5 clerk that they didn't He said everyone had to wait. I don't think he knew much about guns or gun laws. Went in another day and there were some younger guys in there. They seemed interested in guns. I re-asked the question and one of the guys seemed puzzled, the other guy said he thinks he remembers seeing "C&R" on the Big-5 Paperwork. So he looks, sees that having a C&R license is an exemption to the waiting period/backgroung check. He says it looks like you could use your license! Then he wanted to know more about the license, which I gladly told him about.

I think it depends on who is behind the counter and how much they know. If all else fails, talk to the manager. If that doesn't work, try a different Big 5.

March 4, 2003, 12:50 AM
I am almost positive you must be a resident in the respective state in which the sale is taking place. In this case, if you're at a Reno gun show, you must be a resident of Nevada.

For example, I can't go to Arizona, walk into a gun shop, pay $500 or so for a new 1911 and go home. If you could, everyone in California would be taking trips to Arizona just to get past the stupid 10-day waiting period.

Your best bet is if you know someone who lives in Nevada, have them buy it for you. Then they physically drive it over the state line to an FFL to transfer to you.

And yes, all guns must be CA approved. Bringing in a handgun (even through legal means) is still subject to the CA DoJ safety board for approval.

Is there any cost savings through purchasing out of state? I thought shipping a handgun involved quite a bit of cash.

March 4, 2003, 06:04 AM
How about if, you know, hypothetically, a Californian went to an out-of-state show or shop and purchased high (er, normal) capacity magazines and brought them back?

March 4, 2003, 10:37 AM

It's illegal to bring in hicap mags into California. Not illegal to buy them from say a Reno gun show. If you hypothetically brought them back, you need to turn them in to the proper authorities at some point in time. You may hypothetically of course, forget to do so. Thats why the standard capacity mag ban is ridiculous, hypothetically....

March 4, 2003, 12:54 PM
Forget 'hypotheses' - this thread is moving toward getting locked down. The HighRoad is not about breaking the laws - its about responsible ownership of firearms.

Any further discussions hinting at what are actually felonies will bring the old lock onto this thread.


I live in CA and was warned by those in the know to buy high capacity mags before 2000. Though I didn't know I would get _this_ into this hobby, I was lucky enough to get some in storage before the ban. Wish I'd bought more.

Is it worth a felony charge to have a few extra rounds? No way.

Does the law stink? Absolutely... but that's another thread.

March 4, 2003, 01:01 PM
Another question:

My dad has a few hicaps for his 4509; is it illegal for him to just give them to me?

March 4, 2003, 01:19 PM
He gave you those magazines in DEC 1999 right. No problem

March 4, 2003, 07:06 PM
Sven...sorry about that, no more hypotheticals you know that for a fact that the FFL in other states must wait the CA mandated 10 day waiting period?

If so, do you have a cite?

El Rojo
March 4, 2003, 10:34 PM
You aren't breaking the law on the magazine ban if you have the magazines. And everyone knows you bought the magazines in 1985 when you were 7. You had such forethought then that you knew someday you would want an M1A and you bought the magazines then so they would be cheap and they would be grandfathered in. No one broke the law. You have had them since 1985. :rolleyes:

March 4, 2003, 10:54 PM
There seems to be a lot of misinformation about the possession of high cap mags. My husband and I were shooting at the local range a while back, using one of his rifles with a high cap mag. The range safety officer told us to be careful with that, sometimes they have LE types lurking around the range, and he didn't want to see us lose our guns. :what:

'Course, that set me back on my heels, and we stashed the high caps. Later, we were told it was perfectly legal to own and use them, we just couldn't buy and sell them.

El Rojo
March 5, 2003, 07:36 PM
You are correct, you can have all the standard capacity magazines you want in the State of California, as long as you bought them prior to December 31, 1999 or 2000 (heck I forget when, was it 2000 or 2001?). You just can't sell them, loan them, trade them, or transfer them to anyone else in the state unless you render them incapable of holding more than 10 rounds. You can sell them out of state. You can take them out of the state with you. But they can't remain in state.

This just hit me. Just like the registration of assault weapons, they are now property of the state. When you die, you won't be able to leave them in your will to a relative in state. They must be transfered out of state or destroyed.

March 7, 2003, 12:09 AM
Seems like every time I come back from Arizona and clean out my trunk I find some hi-caps mags that I've had for several years and forgotten about... :p

March 7, 2003, 12:30 AM
As Sven said:
Any further discussions hinting at what are actually felonies will bring the old lock onto this thread.


A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high virtues of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. -- Thomas Jefferson

If you enjoyed reading about "California buyer at Reno gun show ??" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!