Where is the danger?

PDA

Quartus
February 28, 2003, 07:06 PM
I have a low opinion of the phenomenon known as 'blogging', but I did find some excellent comments (http://www.diablogger.com/archives/000031.html#000031) in one this evening.

Folks, these educated idiots are teaching at our universities. They are living off the public coffers while spewing their ignorant hatred at the very people who pay their salaries, and in the case of this professor--at the very people who made not only his job but his freedom possible. They are more dangerous than any impotent neo-Nazi skinhead desperately seeking something to believe in. They are aristocrats undergirding a fascism of the "educated", a despotism of the experts. They want a world in which you and I have no political power because we don't speak a certain language, don't posses a certain vocabulary, don't have an advanced degree or don't subscribe to a certain "logic," which is nothing less than a camouflaged tyranny that would render us free on paper and slaves in practice.

(emphasis mine)

The schools are the battle ground every bit as much as the courts and the Congress. Are you watching your local school board?

If you enjoyed reading about "Where is the danger?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
February 28, 2003, 10:07 PM
There's nothing like a shortage of academic self-appointed "aristocrats."

Obvious solution? Cut their funding.

Jedi_7.62
March 1, 2003, 01:37 AM
NEVER cut funding for education!!!!

You only hurt the students.

Give better education!!!

It's well documented that Universities in general tend do be liberable and are breeding grounds for liberal views.

They depict advocates of freedom and 2nd amendment rights as backwood ignorant hillbillys.

I think we need to educate them with the truth starting with the principles and realities in which this country was founded. I'm sorry but our founding fathers wrote the second ammendment to protect themselves from armies to give the power to the people not so Jo Blow can go duck hunting on the weekend (nothing against hunting)

My point is to educate !!!!!
Inform our young at home as well as at school it is our responsibility as parents. It is our responsibilities to teach our children what our schools won't. And I have debated more than 1 profesor in a classroom. Speak up don't be intimidated by the liberals and the social trends speak what you believe and by all means pass it along to your children.

(moment to brag) my daughter is in third grade and just told me yesterday she learns more from me at home than at school.

You may mock me but you can not silence me!!!!!

Minute_Of_Torso
March 1, 2003, 03:54 AM
Eliminate the Department of Education. Eliminate federal involvement in the educational process. Leave public education up to the states and the states alone. With federal funding comes federal controls, federal regulations, federal requirements, etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum. Yeah, it may happen that Virginia may have better schools than Arkansas . . . so what? Move!

Hey, it's a little thing called the Constitution! You know, that thing I took an oath to when I was young, dumb, and newly enlisted? The fed isn't authorized to teach (read: indoctrinate and dumb down) my kid, so I don't let 'em.

Better yet, homeschool. I choose the curriculum because if anyone's going to indoctrinate my kid it's going to be me. Maybe she'll turn out to be a truly conservative, thought-enabled, Christian patriot like myself . . . but at least she'll be able to read, write, do math, and explain why our nation began the way it did.

Quartus
March 1, 2003, 08:43 AM

In my home state, education is OVERfunded, and now they want 90 million more. Over funded? Yep. When they can afford to tear down (perfectly good) old schools and build new ones on very expensive land, when they can afford to replace books every two years or so (so they can get more revisionistic and dumbed down every two years or so) when they can afford to build shcools that rival the Taj Mahal, they are seriously overfunded.

Oh, no, I don't suppose the teachers are overpaid. And I have heard complaints about teachers having to buy classroom supplies out of personal money. But that has nothing to do with being well funded. That is an administration problem. More money won't fix it. In fact, it will only make it worse.

(Hmmm. I was talking about Utah, but it's true of California, too, and probably most other states.)

The answer is as Minute said. Abolish the unConstitutional DoEd, and homeshcool.

And watch your local school board anyway!

pax
March 1, 2003, 12:41 PM
I won't do your homework for you, but if you were interested, you could look up the correlation between student test scores and education spending per-student in each state.

The results are counter intuitive, but not really surprising.

Quartus' last post was right on target. The money never gets to where the voters want it to go. Teachers may be underfunded, but the schools are not.

pax

A lot of people can cover their mistakes, but not teachers. Their mistakes grow up to be school board members. -- John Leo

Jedi_7.62
March 1, 2003, 02:16 PM
No school is over funded. It is just missmanaged! No, schools shouldn't be building elaborate facilities on the most expensive land but better teachers could be better paid with those same funds. Check out your school libraries what do you find anything published since 1950?

We have very few teachers that I believe are good because nobody wants the job. Pay sucks and it can be dangerous. Not to mention there is no discipline in schools anymore.

I do believe education should be controlled in a local arena not on a federal scale. But I think schools can get better funding from federal levels. I don't think state and local government could effectively fund the needs alone, However I could be mistaken since I haven't done the research.

Standing Wolf
March 1, 2003, 08:31 PM

Squandering our hard-earned tax dollars on leftist-oriented so-called "education" is morally wrong, not to mention self-defeating. We, the people need to take back every aspect of public education from pre-school through graduate programs. It's our money. It's our nation. It's our responsibility to future generations of Americans to define and uphold high educational standards—and we don't do that by continuing to pour billions of dollars into leftist extremist propaganda organizations.

It's time and long past time to pull the financial plug on publicly funded educational institutions that don't live up to American standards.

ahadams
March 1, 2003, 08:40 PM
Here in MO we've managed to stop all new tax increases for the last several years, and look to do so for the forseeable future. There is no way, as the current system exists to provide good education in most of the public sector. There are, of course, exceptions, but generally speaking until the power of the NEA and the AFT are totally broken and nullified, there will be no such thing as traditional education in the vast majority of our public schools. For conservatives, especially conservative Christians, homeschooling as part of a cooperative homeschooling group is almost always the better way to go.

Arlin H. Adams M.Ed.

Peetmoss
March 1, 2003, 08:42 PM
Plus cutting education funding could cost me my job:mad: And the would put a serious drain on my gun fund:mad: Speaking as a pro gun member of the Teachers Union. On a side note I am not a member of there union by choice.

Billll
March 1, 2003, 09:01 PM
When I become dictator, the dept of Education will be reduced to a small committe that decides what standards students must come up to to get their diplomas.:D
Meanwhile, the problem at the state level is not underfunding, but misallocation. Teachers seem to make enough, but if they have to spring for their own supplies, then the bureacracy is getting too big a cut.
Beck v CWA is the law of the land. Ask your legislator why it's not the law of the state, too.

synoptic
March 2, 2003, 12:24 AM
First off, Teachers do not get paid nearly enough. It just seems wrong when teacher's kids qualify for free lunch because their single mother doesn't make enough as a teacher, and that is in a district that pays better than most (like $34k for first year teachers).
Secondly--Maybe I am just one of the lucky ones, but I have never had an issue with teachers spouting off anti-gun crap in class. I have had liberal teachers in college, some more vocal than others, but they seem to be more pre-occupied bi***ing about Bush than anything else. I did get a dirty look from my English prof the other day when I wore a pro gun shirt. Oh well, maybe I'll wear it a little more often to her class, just for fun. (If y'all know of any places to get more pro gun shirts please let me know)

mack
March 2, 2003, 09:47 AM
I am so tired of the poor underpaid teacher lament - or the, we can't get good teachers because we pay them so poorly. Public school teachers - at least in the state of Illinois get paid more than most people in this state - they also get summers off which they can use to go to school to further upgrade their credentials and thus their pay or they can work another job to pull in additional money (I know a teacher who roofs and paints houses in the summer) - but then he really does need the money since he really is an underpaid teacher cause he works for a private Catholic school. Some teachers, in Chicago can make upwards of 80 to 90 thousand dollars a year - we all know how good the Chicago schools are - my experience is that just because someone graduated HS in Chicago, it is no guarantee that they can read or write.

Funny how some of the best schools are private religious schools where the teachers get paid only a fraction of the salary of the public school teachers. If teacher pay is the key to getting good teachers why do schools that pay less end up with better results when they must have inferior teachers. Of course we are told so the story goes that the reason for that disparity in performance is that the public schools get all the hard to teach kids and the religious schools get the cream of the crop. There are a couple of problems with this story, one a lot of so called problem kids end up in private schools because they failed in the public school system, and two even if this were partially true - doesn't it point out a serious problem when concerned parents and kids are fleeing the public schools and choosing private schools because they want their kids to get a good education?

The largest part of the problem with public education is a lack of academic performance oriented standards (holding kids to tough and high academic standards and testing them) a lack of effective school discipline (flexible, proportional, and effective – not this zero tolerance crap) and the destruction of smaller schools, (not a class size issue but a school size issue) the huge consolidated schools allow kids to slip through the cracks in the system, in smaller schools kids can’t get lost as easily.

The public schools are a disgrace, but then that is what happens when we allow professional politicians, lawyers. labor unions, bureaucrats, and do-gooders with political agendas to run our schools. Get rid of them, support teachers, with tough academic standards and discipline, and then let them teach.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where is the danger?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!