help with rifle purchase

PDA

billykaldrich
November 29, 2004, 11:18 AM
hey guys i would like some feedback on rifles for my first purchase of 30-06. I am looking to buy either savage weather warrior 116fss or ruger m77 II all weather both are 10 bucks diferrence in price so really your expirence with either gun or manufacter.savage is a sentimental favorite because my dad worked ther when i was a kid, but i want the best made gun now.

If you enjoyed reading about "help with rifle purchase" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
critter
November 29, 2004, 11:58 AM
JUST MY OPINION! I think the Ruger is WAY more than $10 a better gun than the Savage. I also think the Ruger will hold resale value far better.

Either will serve you well so you can't mess up either way. Good luck-hope you enjoy whichever one you get and it comes with a good dose of 'hunters luck' to go with it!

Art Eatman
November 29, 2004, 05:41 PM
Savage's Accu-Trigger is getting good comments. Without the Accu-Trigger, gunsmithing is needed to make the triggers truly acceptable. Dunno how that affects the cost of your proposed purchase.

In today's world, few rifles WON'T shoot close to one or 1-1/2 MOA; plenty good for hunting.

To me, a key point is which rifle fits you best? That is, when you fairly quickly mount the rifle to your shoulder with your eyes closed and then open your eyes, you should be looking right down the axis of the sights. Not high or low, not off to one side or the other. (Same deal for shotguns) A good fit not only makes hunting-shooting better, it reduces perceived recoil.

Included in "fit" is the length of pull, but that's easily made just right by either adding some spacer to the buttpad, or shortening the stock--whatever's necessary.

Generally, More Money = a little better final finish on a rifle. Nicer wood or better-quality synthetic stock. It doesn't generally mean better accuracy.

And I'm gonna move this to the Rifle forum...

:), Art

agunsmith
November 29, 2004, 05:56 PM
in my opinion the remington would be hard to beat. the trigger can be ajusted by a gunsmith,if later u wanted to change cal. u can get a short chambered barrell from midway or other mail order company's I have built many a gun's on these actions and have not had a complaint.

MrMurphy
November 29, 2004, 07:50 PM
Remington, Savage, Ruger in that order of preference.

bosshoff
December 1, 2004, 11:49 AM
Remington? I thought the question was Ruger or Savage? I would opt for the Ruger. Now if we were including Remington in this consideration, I would opt for the Remington. Just my $0.02, either will be fine, go with the one that YOU like when you handle them.

ocabj
December 1, 2004, 12:39 PM
Everyone keeps talking about how Savages don't have good resale value. If that's true, I don't why I can't find people trying to unload a Savage long action for a value price so I can build a 6.5x55.

billykaldrich
December 2, 2004, 12:32 AM
well thanks for the help guys you and the gun dealer helped me buy a Remington 700 CDL 30-06 now its scope time for deer and pigs. ;)

DigMe
December 2, 2004, 12:35 AM
Congrats! I just pulled the trigger on a 700 BDL in stainless. Hasn't shipped yet though. Can't wait!

brad cook

If you enjoyed reading about "help with rifle purchase" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!