Anyone use Machetes for...

PDA

Meow
February 28, 2003, 08:44 PM
...self defence, or bedside weapon or anything else? do you use any special brand or style? ty

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone use Machetes for..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
makdaddy03
February 28, 2003, 11:29 PM
I use to know a Mexican dude that owned a machete for that purpose. (Defense)

Schuey2002
February 28, 2003, 11:57 PM
No, but, I've been dreaming about purchasing a Predator Machette (by Jack W. Crain) for some time now...:evil:
http://www.crainknives.com/images/PredatorMachette.jpg

scotjute
March 3, 2003, 12:18 PM
I use machetes for whacking branches, bushes, & weeds.
Use 22" Ontario for heavier stuff, it has a thicker blade than some and seems to give best performance on heavier stuff.
Have 24" Legitus Collins that really shines on the thinner stuff. It's blade is thinner than the Ontario.
I think Ontario makes some with a sort-of pointed tip that might be more in-line with what you're probably looking for.

twoblink
March 4, 2003, 10:38 AM
Here in Taiwan, it's fairly common practice, as you can't own guns.. so a bedside machete is the alternative.

I have a self-defense bat right now, but as summer draws near, I will probably buy one... It doubles very well as a watermelon knife!!

Al Thompson
March 4, 2003, 09:23 PM
Byron has one of the finest machetes I've ever used. Forget the name of the thing, but it's not expensive and is very high quality.

Preacherman
March 11, 2003, 01:31 AM
I've seen them used for both defence and attack during our 18-year civil conflict in South Africa. They make ghastly wounds when properly used... we're talking disembowelment, amputation and decapitation here, folks! However, they're not nearly as useful as a good assegaai, which extends your range and keeps the machete-wielding opponent at a distance (unless he cuts through your spear shaft...).

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone use Machetes for..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!