Export license for >$100 of gun parts?

PDA

Nathaniel Firethorn
December 1, 2004, 10:42 PM
I was buying some doodads from Brownell's this afternoon when I noticed a little "Gun Part" link next to some mags in my shopping cart. Clicking on the link, I got the following: Gun Part:

If gun parts exceed $100.00 or an Action, Receiver, Frame, Cylinder or Barrel is ordered a State Department Export License is required. If your order requires an export license you will be contacted by our Export Department. Where did all those rules come from? I have no intention of going into the mag-exporting business!

- pdmoderator

If you enjoyed reading about "Export license for >$100 of gun parts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Wildalaska
December 2, 2004, 02:02 AM
Those rules have been in place for a while..

Our policy is we ship NOTHING outside the US without using an exporter...I wont even sell on ebay to a foreign country including Canada

WildrulesrulesrulesAlaska

SLCDave
December 2, 2004, 12:48 PM
Time to call Art Vandelay... ;)

rritter
December 2, 2004, 02:33 PM
I don't think it's the case any more, but back in the 1980s - 90s, high-level encryption was regulated as a weapon. I remember reading a newsgroup post once about a guy who needed to take a secure phone to Europe to demo at a trade show. He decided, just for the hell of it, to comply with the existing regulations.

He filled out the forms for exporting a weapon, and then had to explain to all of the police/security/customs officers involved that yes, in fact, this telephone was legally a weapon that needed to go through all the rigmarole. It took him, as I recall, two or three hours to clear outbound customs/security for the flight (not counting the usual airline checking process).

Nathaniel Firethorn
December 4, 2004, 05:00 AM
Wildalaska, last time I checked, PRNJ was still being allowed to send Congressmafiosi to the United States House and Senate, and I don't need a passport to cross the river to Free Pennsylvania. So we haven't, technically, been kicked out of the USA, yet. :rolleyes:

So the question is, why in the name of John Moses Browning do I need an export license when I don't intend to export anything?

- pdmoderator

Chipperman
December 4, 2004, 11:33 AM
The note was prolly attached to the items automatically. It has nothing to do with you specifically. Since you are in the US, it is moot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Export license for >$100 of gun parts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!