John Stossel nails Brooklyn DA for prosecuting man who shot intruder

PDA

CZ-75
February 28, 2003, 11:05 PM
John Dixon, the man who shot an intruder in his 2 year old son's bedroom with an unlicensed handgun is the subject on 20/20's "Give Me a Break" segment.

John Stossel comes out strongly in favor of RKBA and the inadequecy of licensing (by implication).

Should be good positive publicity for the gunowner and bad press for the DA, whom Stossel believes is in the wrong and using poor judgement, if not outright vindictiveness.

If you enjoyed reading about "John Stossel nails Brooklyn DA for prosecuting man who shot intruder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marko Kloos
February 28, 2003, 11:11 PM
The problem for the DA is that he can't allow the good guy to walk free. If he did, the DA would be setting legal precedent, and the corrupt NYC permit system would collapse. Every good guy would start carrying guns and blowing away miscreants, and they'd cite that same legal precedent and claim their "get out of jail free" card. It's imperative to the continued existence of the Sullivan Law that every good guy with an unregistered gun gets prosecuted.

Tyrants can't make exemptions to their rules, lest their authority crumbles in a hurry.

OF
February 28, 2003, 11:12 PM
Dixon and his lawyer were also on Hannity & Colmes the other day. This case is getting some major publicity.

- Gabe

Travis McGee
February 28, 2003, 11:40 PM
Our new tyrants only want unarmed peasants and well armed JBTs, and nothing in between.

Slotback
February 28, 2003, 11:42 PM
I'm glad to hear that a media type is saying something positive about this case. It's about time.

JimP
March 1, 2003, 12:28 AM
It's not precedent if the guy chooses NOT to prosecute; mat become POLICY, but not precedent. Precedent only occurs when the case goes to trial and the legal theory becomes habitualized. Not applicable in this instance.

DA's should - and do - have great flexibility in who/what they charge. IN most jurisdictions they are only accountable to the people who voted them in. That is the safeguard. Hence, In a liberal place like NY, you get a liberal DA.

BB93YJ
March 1, 2003, 12:33 AM
It might be a good idea to contact the network the piece appeared on and thank them for producing and airing the piece when most gun related stories shown are anti-gun. Might encourage more coverage of the good that firearms, and handguns especially, do in our society. I am going to write, and email them thanking them.

swampgator
March 1, 2003, 01:48 AM
posted by BB93YJ
It might be a good idea to contact the network the piece appeared on and thank them for producing and airing the piece when most gun related stories shown are anti-gun.

That would be ABC, that I believe is still owned by an Anti-group.

Intune
March 1, 2003, 02:52 AM
Still worth the effort.

XLMiguel
March 1, 2003, 11:06 AM
FWIW, I believe ABC is owned by Disney.

John Stossel seems to have a fair degree of common sense as TV 'journalists' go, he's been on the right side of RKBA/self-defense stories in the past, IIRC. I think it's great that idiots like that DA get all the expsoure the media can muster. Cases like this boggle the mind, and even the sheople can relate to protecting their own kids. Perhaps some will even make the leap beyond "where were the police? Why weren't they there to protect us . . .baaaaaa?" And why is the 'legal system' bothering this guy?

Hope springs eternal:rolleyes:

Hkmp5sd
March 1, 2003, 12:16 PM
ABC is just jumping on the bandwagon with this story. Hannity and O'Reilly have been talking about it for over a month.

Correia
March 1, 2003, 12:25 PM
Just so you guys are aware, John Stossel is a Libertarian. His stories are almost always pro-freedom, and about minimizing Govt. interference. He has had great shows on guns, law, OSHA, EPA, BATF, taxes & the IRS, welfare, immigration, etc.

Only reporter I actually like. :)

Chipperman
March 1, 2003, 12:33 PM
Amazing he hasn't been blacklisted by now. :rolleyes:

Gusgus
March 1, 2003, 12:45 PM
Here's the really encouraging part. After the segment, even Baaa Baaa Walters stated that John Dixon was a "hero", and shouldn't have been prosecuted. I almost fell out of my chair.

Justin
March 1, 2003, 01:47 PM
The above poster is correct, ABC is owned by Disney.
John Stossel is also one of the best reporters I've ever seen. As far as I'm concerned, he's the saving grace for 20/20.

(I liked the part where he opined that you don't have to get a permit in 30 some-odd states, and then stated that NYC should be the same way.)

citizen
March 1, 2003, 02:54 PM
:what:

Standing Wolf
March 1, 2003, 08:26 PM
Sarah Brady weeps.

Billll
March 1, 2003, 09:06 PM
Good!:D

ahadams
March 1, 2003, 09:18 PM
you can email the DA and tell him what you think yourself!

follow the instructions here:

thread in another area pointing to email for DA (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11505)

Jeff OTMG
March 2, 2003, 01:53 AM
If the cops, DA, and courts did their job the crook would have been in prison. Too bad they all get paid for doing nothing. They should give Dixon a medal for doing their jobs for them.

Blackhawk
March 2, 2003, 02:55 AM
The problem for the DA is that he can't allow the good guy to walk free. If he did, the DA would be setting legal precedent, and the corrupt NYC permit system would collapse. Every good guy would start carrying guns and blowing away miscreants, and they'd cite that same legal precedent and claim their "get out of jail free" card. It's imperative to the continued existence of the Sullivan Law that every good guy with an unregistered gun gets prosecuted.Wrong concerning a legal precedent. They're only set as a result of a reported trial, and usually only after an appeal. All the DA had to do is reduce the charges to jaywalking or something equally innocuous in exchange for a plea.

However, the publicity genie is now out of the bottle so the DA is between a rock and a hard place. He needs to find another job.

mete
March 2, 2003, 10:36 AM
Somehow my posting got lost so I'll do it again. Before you praise John Stossel you should be aware that he has been involved with a number of fraudulent tv programs, this has all been documented . He is hardly ' one of the best tv reporters '. AS for NYC I was born and raised there so I know all about the "right" to protect your family.

CZ-75
March 2, 2003, 02:41 PM
Stossel was involved in one fraudulent program that I'm aware of. He apologized and his reputations seems to be intact.

mete
March 2, 2003, 04:43 PM
CZ-75, there are others though offhand I can only remember two, do some research on the internet. There was one about allergies which was fraudulent in a number of ways and abou t a year ago there was one involving children , the parents brought suit to prevent airing of the program.

Tempest
March 2, 2003, 06:34 PM
My disdain for this sanctimonious piece of crap (Charles Hynes) knows no end. You know what this is about - it's not about a righteous prosecution. It's about beefing up his numbers for prosecuting "gun crimes." At the end of the day, it's the numbers that matter, and it doesn't matter that he's ruining an innocent man's life in the process. GAWD, I hate that bastard!:fire: :fire: :fire: :cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "John Stossel nails Brooklyn DA for prosecuting man who shot intruder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!