Carry Choice - Sig Sauer P226 vs. Browning Hi-Power

PDA

AirPower
December 4, 2004, 04:10 AM
I've decided to carry a 9mm semiauto. The BHP fits my hand well, and very slim for packing. Its 13rd should be plenty in most situations. But I shoot Sig P226 well, not that it fits my hand as well as BHP, but the gun just feels more accurate in range shooting, during the day of course. It is however bulkier with its 15rd mag.

If I could I would carry them both since they're utterly reliable guns, but I do feel more at ease with the Sig P226 DA 1st pull for an extra measure of safety over cocked'n locked BHP.

If you enjoyed reading about "Carry Choice - Sig Sauer P226 vs. Browning Hi-Power" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tlhelmer
December 4, 2004, 09:24 AM
They are both excellent firearms.

I am a big Sig fan, but I tend to go with the handgun that fits my hand the best. If you do some draw and fire drills with some reloading drills you will find which gun fits you the best. How it points from a draw is important. manipultion during reloading will also tell you which gun is best for you.

That being said I have also found that if you train with the gun enough you will adapt to it in time.

You wont go wrong either way with those choices.

PO2Hammer
December 4, 2004, 09:25 AM
Have you looked at a P228/P229?
Same great ergonomics, great accuracy, slim slides, slightly shorter butt.
I really like my P226 and got to shoot a P229 (8?) last week. My shooting was 90% of what I do with my own P226. If I had a chance to get used to it, it would have been 95%.

natedog
December 4, 2004, 12:06 PM
(This is in comparison to a P220, I'm not sure how much it varies from the 226 besides caliber).

I'd choose the Hi-Power simply because it's single action (I don't like having two trigger pulls), fits my hand better, and is a bit slimmer. Both are equal in areas of reliability, accuracy, etc. The Sig is about 6 oz. lighter.

Note: There are 15 round magazines for the Hi-Power that fit flush, and 17 round magazines that almost fit flush- the part that hangs out of the magazine is covered up by a rubber "slam pad".

Pilot
December 4, 2004, 12:18 PM
Greetings Airpower. We must have similar other interests.

Both are excellent pistols. I think it comes down to what you feel more comfortable with a DA/SA or SA only pistol. I chose the BHP, but I do have one with a positive safety for C&L. Some BHP's I've handled have safeties that aren't as positive and can wipe off easily. Still with a good holster, it should not be a problem. If you really like the BHP have a smith replace the safety with something that really locks into place more like a 1911's.

I agree with the other poster who recommended a Sig 228 instead of the 226. If your going to stay 9MM, I like the 228 over the 229 because it balances a little better. Good luck.

Guns_and_Labs
December 4, 2004, 12:22 PM
but I do feel more at ease with the Sig P226 DA 1st pull for an extra measure of safety over cocked'n locked BHP.
Personally, I'd find the "extra measure of safety" marginal at best, but the need to transition trigger pulls definitely a minus. A properly tuned and maintained BHP is a joy. I've carried cocked and locked (usually a 1911) for while and over quite strenuous conditions, and NEVER had a thumb safety go off-safe unintentionally.

Dr.Rob
December 4, 2004, 10:02 PM
Pretty much a tie.

If you like DA/SA go with the SIG.

If you prefer the S/A and slimmer profile the BHP is hard to beat.

Never liked Sigs until I fired a 226. Maybe the slickest production piece I've ever handled... but the then $600 tag kept me way away from the 226.

I picked up an HP clone instead... one of these days maybe I'll scrounge up and old FN model. The HP is one simple, robust and easy to use pistol.

B36
December 4, 2004, 11:21 PM
BHP

Best grip.

One trigger

10-Ring
December 4, 2004, 11:34 PM
Go w/ the Browning! :cool:

mamba
December 4, 2004, 11:38 PM
BHP, great feel and confidence in handling. Manual safety always a plus. :)

Longbow
December 5, 2004, 02:02 AM
Go BHP! Its slimmer and its trigger pull is easier to master. Hitting your target is always a number one priority, IMO.

ranburr
December 5, 2004, 03:34 AM
Cocked and locked is just as safe or even safer than a double action if you know what you are doing. I find a manual safety to be much safer than a DA without a safety.

ranburr

9mmepiphany
December 6, 2004, 04:29 AM
a great compromise might be the CZ 75. same feel as the hi-power but the DA/SA of the sig...and you still have a thumb safety if you'd like to use it. i also like the CZ 75's SA trigger better than the browning.

the 226's butt is too big for the way i CCW(funny because it can CCW a beretta 92/96), but the 228 is a great improvement. with mec-gar's new mags, it's capacity stays at 15 rounds.

Wildalaska
December 6, 2004, 04:36 AM
I have a BHP and a 228

I carry the BHP

its the ultimate carry gun....the SIG dont hold a candle to it...and I love SIGs

WildthakyoumrsaiveAlaska

Leadbutt
December 6, 2004, 05:23 AM
SIG's RULE

GrandmasterB
December 6, 2004, 12:48 PM
If it were MY choice, the BHP would win hands down. So much slimmer, great firepower, cocked & locked, -- Oh so many things to love about the Hi Power!

45R
December 6, 2004, 08:03 PM
My choice would be the Sig. :)

Johnny Guest
December 6, 2004, 08:12 PM
In a 9mm, I feel most comfortable with the High Power.

Best,
Johnny

threefeathers
December 6, 2004, 10:52 PM
I have several of both, and a Taurus 92 I love. I pack all of them from time to time. But if push came to shove I would pack the BHP with a Meg Car 15 round mag.

Normally I pack either a Colt Commander or a Sig 229 in 357 Sig.

MrMurphy
December 6, 2004, 11:19 PM
I'd be just as happy with a Hi-Power as a P228. Personally I'm a better shot with the Hi-Power.

I'd also be just fine with a CZ75 or CZ85, which is 15 shot 9mm, DA/SA, and I believe some variants even let you carry cocked and locked.

The H&K USP 9mm Compact model holds about 13 rounds, has a decent DA trigger, as well as allowing cocked and locked, fits most people well, and being polymer framed, is lighter than either.. and it has a light rail. :)

There's a lot of medium-sized 9mm's that are good to choose from. I like the Glock 19, or maybe the new HK P2000c better than the rest.

Of course, Agent Scully was a Sig 228 fan, so maybe Sig was doing something right.... :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Carry Choice - Sig Sauer P226 vs. Browning Hi-Power" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!