info on Le MAG carbine ?? (m-1 carbine conv.)

PDA

s&w 24
December 8, 2004, 01:53 PM
I've always had an interest in the Le Mag M-1 carbine conversion rifles but the info out there (net or print) is near non existant. Has anyone ever seen one or know anything about them ? If I could find the manufactures curent address or phone # that would go a long way in solving the mystery.

If you enjoyed reading about "info on Le MAG carbine ?? (m-1 carbine conv.)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Joe Demko
December 8, 2004, 02:03 PM
All I can tell you is that a gunsmith friend of mine didn't think they were safe.

carebear
December 8, 2004, 04:39 PM
My buddy Neils has one at his shop "Gunrunners". (907) 245-5486

Think it is about $800 bones but don't quote me. I have never heard of any safety problems, LeMag just went bankrupt I think. 11(?) rounds or .45WinMag out of an unmodified Carbine mag was and is a neat idea. Although you'd probably have to reload to make it worthwhile.

I thought at the time they came out they'd make a neat woods gun for up here. Also that they fit Cooper's "Thumper" concept pretty well.

Some day when I have free money, I'll probably track one down for the hell of it.

edited to add the phone # for Gunrunners.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
December 8, 2004, 06:21 PM
I haven't heard anything about Tim LeGendre for about 4 years. Last I read in a publication was the 2000 GUNS annual, where they featured the M1 carbine conversions in .45WinMag and .50AE, his .45 caliber AR15 45/70 workalike, and a scary Garand/BAR hybrid in .338WM.

I have never seen/found a contact number or address for him, but I suppose you could contact the archivist at Guns Magazine and see if they have anything. IIRC he's in the Flint, MI. area.

I do know he had stock breakage problems with the carbine; usually after about 7 shots the wrist would come apart. He used a Choate stock on all his later M1 carbines that fixed this problem. Also, the short-piston models of his carbines are much harder recoiling than his long-piston models.

Me, I'd rather have an AR in .50 Beowulf or .458 SOCOM.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Leadbutt
December 9, 2004, 12:56 AM
The last of the bunch he put out aregreat little carbines,, the early ones suffered from split breeches and stocks,, when he started making his own barrels that problem stopped, I still have mine and use it on hog hunts from time to time,the win-mag is about like a 454C lite

106rr
December 9, 2004, 04:57 AM
I understand that the specific reason for the safety warning was the lack of metal left around the bolt face after it is reamed out to a larger diameter for the magnum. The M1 has a limited margin of safety with the 30 M1 caliber. I doubt that you be happy with the Le Mag carbine, but wish you luck anyway.

If you enjoyed reading about "info on Le MAG carbine ?? (m-1 carbine conv.)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!