Just got off the phone with Pizza Hut

PDA

CentralTexas
December 10, 2004, 06:50 PM
and let them know their attitude lost them a 25 year+ customer. Lady took a detailed statement and said she was sorry. My Problem? This USA Today article-
http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2004-12-09-guns-cover_x.htm
With this statement-

"Do you want your mail guy or delivery guy carrying a loaded gun when he comes to the door?" asks Patty Sullivan, a Pizza Hut spokeswoman. "What if he's not happy with his tip?"

Yeah actually I'd prefer it.
Does she imply her drivers are so whacked we should be glad they don't carry?
- So much for their hiring policies or does she imply "Well you know gunowners, they will just kill you for the slightest thing like not getting a tip!"
PLEASE call them and let them know you are sick of the stereotypes....
Customer Service: 1-800-948-8488 (U.S.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Just got off the phone with Pizza Hut" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jnojr
December 10, 2004, 06:54 PM
http://www.pizzahut.com/contact/feedback_type.asp

tyme
December 10, 2004, 07:04 PM
"Are we promoting open firefights in the parking lot?" says Paul Viollis, president of Risk Control Strategies in New York. "For legislation to permit employees and contractors to bring loaded firearms to work in vehicles is blatantly irresponsible."
Wheeee...

I guess selling vehicles with airbags means the industry is promoting irresponsible driving?
(out of myriad other possible analogies)

ARperson
December 10, 2004, 07:23 PM
I remember the Carmel, IN event. Funny thing. I don't think the picture is really that of the Pizza Hut employee. The man I remember (forgive the phrasing) came across as much more red-neckish in the television interviews. (And he kept using the word "clip" instead of magazines :rolleyes: ). I remember him as being much thinner in the face too.

Combat-wombat
December 10, 2004, 07:52 PM
Just called. If everyone pitches in and lets Pizza Hut know we don't appreciate their position, it may very well change. Remember Applebees?

psyopspec
December 10, 2004, 07:54 PM
The comments I forwarded via the link above (thanks jnojr!!) :

To whom it may concern:
I was shocked and saddened to read the following comment in USA Today by a Pizza Hut spokesperson.

"Do you want your mail guy or delivery guy carrying a loaded gun when he comes to the door?" asks Patty Sullivan, a Pizza Hut spokeswoman. "What if he's not happy with his tip?"

Over the last two decades I've enjoyed your pizza several times, in fact it was a great comfort to have a Pizza Hut delivery person show up at my camp while I was an activated reservist serving in Iraq. From this moment forward, however, I will not be ordering from Pizza Hut any longer, and will tell my friends and family to do the same. It's one thing to ban employees from carrying lawfully concealed weapons of defense, and entirely another to make an uneducated and bigoted comment with negative inferences about all gun owners.

I thank you for your time; feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the comments I have offered.

Regretfully,
[Psyopspec]

why_me
December 10, 2004, 07:59 PM
I dont think it is right though him taking pictures with his gun. He should sort of lay low and not brag on it. Said he shot the guy 15 times and his last words were " i just wanted a pizza ..man"

CarlS
December 10, 2004, 08:18 PM
I have been a Pizza Hut customer for many years; your pizzas are, by far, the best of any the chain pizza stores. However, after reading the article in USA today, "Companies that ban guns put on defensive
By Stephanie Armour, USA TODAY, Ronald Honeycutt didn't hesitate. The Pizza Hut driver had just finished dropping off a delivery when a man holding a gun approached him...", I will no longer do business with Pizza Hut.

I especially resent this statement: "Do you want your mail guy or delivery guy carrying a loaded gun when he comes to the door?" asks Patty Sullivan, a Pizza Hut spokeswoman. "What if he's not happy with his tip?". I resent this spokepersons attitude toward gun owners and those with concealed carry permits.

I hope that if one of your delivery people gets robbed and hurt, or worse, killed, that a lawsuit is filed against Pizza Hut for endangering an employee's life by depriving him/her of his/her right to defend his or her life.

I have carried concealed for years and I am not a right wing fanatic. My gun saved my life once without me having to fire a shot. Pizza Hut has lost my business which is two lunches and one carry out per week.

Sincerely,

Michigander
December 10, 2004, 08:18 PM
I sent off a nice little message.

big poppa
December 10, 2004, 08:27 PM
yea just ask all those D.C. area delivery pizza guys that have been killed or robbed doing their job if they like to carry a gun?up there its open season on those guys.it just kills me when a companys image is more imporant than someones safety,here ya go buddy, you get minimum wage maybe some tips{if yer lucky}, your area is northwest DC,get in get the money and dont hang around long or you,ll get robbed maybe killed,and as you guys know DC has some of the strongest anti-guns laws in the country,and one of the highest crime rates :mad:

AZRickD
December 10, 2004, 08:40 PM
It's about time...
Gun owners are also fighting back, boycotting companies that ban guns or fire workers for having them.

Zundfolge
December 10, 2004, 09:26 PM
"Do you want your mail guy or delivery guy carrying a loaded gun when he comes to the door?"
Well considering the fact that I'LL come to the door carrying a loaded gun, it seems only fair to me :neener:

"What if he's not happy with his tip?"
:cuss: :banghead: or :rolleyes: ... I can't make up my mind.
I would explain to her what is required to get a concealed carry permit and that on average CCW holders are more law abiding then the police ... I'd ask her if she has a problem with a police officer carrying a loaded gun coming up to HER door.

There's ignorant and then theres stupid ... this lady is really teetering on that line.

BryanP
December 10, 2004, 10:11 PM
Based on the comments of friends of mine who have delivered pizza for a living I suspect more of them carry than most would believe. Legally or otherwise.

Standing Wolf
December 10, 2004, 10:33 PM
I don't ever do business with shameless anti-Second Amendment bigots.

psyopspec
December 10, 2004, 10:53 PM
Standing Wolf, when you use that phrase (which occurs quite often and in a justifiable manner), do you follow up with a phone call/note?

admar2
December 10, 2004, 11:20 PM
sent a comment myself.

damn, I like pizza hut pizza though. ;)

just kidding.

no mo pizza hut for me. wonder what papajohns stance is on this.

:)

Hazwaste
December 10, 2004, 11:41 PM
I read about your spokesperson's comments concerning gun owners. It's in USA Today at http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2004-12-09-guns-cover_x.htm

So Pizza Hut believes that gun owners are a bunch of whackos that are just waiting for the slightest slight such as a low tip as an excuse to commit murder???

Well, there are over 240 million guns owned by over 80 million gun owners in this country. I'm talking about law-abiding, tax-paying citizens. We are not criminals or potential murderers, and to say such a thing is slanderous and ridiculous. Some of them are drivers for Pizza Hut too. Does Pizza Hut really believe that their drivers are potential murderers?

There is a psychological affliction called "projection" which causes sufferers to project their fears of their own weaknesses and evil desires onto other persons or groups of persons. Perhaps your spokesperson believes that she would shoot somebody for a low tip if she owned a gun. Perhaps she and her managers should seek psychological counciling. Don't forget also that Freud said that fear of firearms is a sign of arrested psycho-sexual development. They may need a team of shrinks to take care of their problems.

I and my gun-owning friends and family will no longer do business with Pizza Hut. Too bad too, because I loved your buffet.

Moparmike
December 10, 2004, 11:52 PM
"What if he's not happy with his tip?" Why does your company hire mentally unstable delivery drivers? Moron. :fire:

moby clarke
December 11, 2004, 01:38 AM
I am very disappointed that you have forced me to discontinue buying your product. With your views regarding your driver’s ability to defend themselves, or in your case, inability, I will stop ordering from you. Further, your spokespersons remarks, as quoted in a USA Today story from 12/10/04, speaks volumes about your attitudes toward guns and the people who own them. Thank you for clarifying your views and allowing me to know who I should support and whom I should not.

JPM70535
December 11, 2004, 02:01 AM
I have been aware of Pizza Huts ban on their drivers carrying weapons while working. I sent them the requisite letter and have not ordered so much as a bread stick from them.

Multiply my action by the number of Law abiding gun owners and our economic clout should be awe inspiring. All we have to do is use our boycott option and we can bring any company to its knees.

JPM

enfield
December 11, 2004, 10:54 AM
Well considering the fact that I'LL come to the door carrying a loaded gun, it seems only fair to me

That's essentially what I told them in an email.

Delivering pizza is a high-risk job in the Detroit area. So is answering the door after dark.

dakotasin
December 11, 2004, 11:24 AM
i fired off an email. i sure wish that everybody else on this board will, too...

Newguy1
December 11, 2004, 11:29 AM
I also sent a polite but firm message.

standingbear
December 11, 2004, 11:41 AM
I guess selling vehicles with airbags means the industry is promoting irresponsible driving? thats a very good analogy I think.

comments like those that the P.h. rep gave..uneducated and foolish.Another customer lost here too...matter of factly,I never liked them anyhow but my wife did(used to that is).I'd rather they start defending themselves legally by carrying than end up shot by a robbery suspect.I'd prolly tip the delivery person more knowing they were exercising their legal carry options,afterall,its not like one can just hop in a car and get the lisc without any kind of training and checks.

its not going to be dodge city or the ok corral like these folks are making it out to be.saying crap like this needs correcting.

Moondoggie
December 11, 2004, 12:10 PM
If Pizza Hut would extract their head out of their you-know-where and simply adopt a cash control method like Domino's they'd have almost no problems.

I delivered Domino's for 3 yrs in the San Diego area as a second job while I was stationed away from my family with the Marines.

Domino's STRICTLY enforces a policy of drivers carry ONLY $20, a wedding ring, and a driver's license (no billfold/credit cards). Each driver had their own drop box for cash, and store managers were always watching to ensure that we used them, also asking frequently if we were making our required "drops". Area managers would stop drivers heading out the door to a delivery and have them empty their pockets. If said driver had more than the allowed items, they were fired on the spot (another driver got to deliver those orders). So, if you happened to get robbed after a 3rd delivery on a particular trip the bad guy was only gonna get about $60 and maybe a pizza or two. Most pizza delivery robberies are set-up with a phone call so that the robber is waiting outside the phony address for their victim. Hardly worth the effort for $20 bucks or so. Domino's also had a strict policy of calling back new customers...hint: your phone # is also your "customer #" to Domino's computer system. If the situation didn't "sound" right, we'd simply gaff 'em off, then wait to see if they'd call back to complain about no delivery. If they DID call back 1/2 hr later asking after their order, then they were probably legit, and we sent their order out for free. Safety AND customer loyalty enhanced.

In our area some guys were robbing pizza drivers at one time. They robbed a pizza hut guy for $260, robbed a Domino's girl for $20, then robbed 3 more pizza hut folks for a bunch of $ before the cops got 'em. Domino's policy was to give up the money and the product to any robber...they didn't want anybody getting hurt. One store I worked at had "zones" that we didn't deliver to at all and some that we only delivered to during daylight hours. They also didn't want to start any retaliation crap if the Domino's folks came out on top in an encounter with gangbangers.

I'm a staunch advocate of RKBA, but I can also see these companies' point of view....anything their employees do becomes their responsibility. Who are the lawyers coming after post-shooting, Jow Blow pizza delivery guy who still lives at home, or mega bucks nationwide corporation? What if pizza guy's bullet kills an innocent bystander even if the shooting was completely justified? Pizza store owners (many of them individual franchisees) really don't want to have to manage a firearms safety/use of deadly force program in addition to running their business. What do you think would happen to the cost of their liability insurance, if they could even GET coverage? It's simply a business decision. It's really the only viable option available to them.

Pizza Hut's spokesperson could have done a better job of expressing their point of view.

OF
December 11, 2004, 12:48 PM
They got one from me.

- Gabe

jamz
December 11, 2004, 01:29 PM
Sent an email.

-James

Boats
December 11, 2004, 02:19 PM
Here is my submission to corporate headquarters:

Hello:

Thanks to this comment in USA Today: "Do you want your mail guy or delivery guy carrying a loaded gun when he comes to the door?" asks Patty Sullivan, a Pizza Hut spokeswoman. "What if he's not happy with his tip?" I will not be ordering any more Pizza Hut products.

I would not mind it were my delivery driver armed on the job. If he or she is carrying in accord with local law I have nothing to fear from them and would not even likely be aware that he or she had a gun.

Therefore, I shall miss your pizzas, but not nearly as much as I won't miss supporting the salaries of such immature corporate executives who spout such inane and ill-informed comments.

No one should be injured or killed over a pizza or some limited cash, but if anyone should befall that fate it should be the robbers your delivery drivers face, not your employees.

I think I shall press my state representative to lift the workers' compensation lawsuit bar and open the way for wrongful injury/death lawsuits against those employers which treat their employees as so much expendable fodder for the criminal element in our society.

Sincerely,

(Name Omitted)
Salem, OR

P.S. You can look me up on the North Lancaster Avenue Pizza Hut's computer here in Salem and see for yourself that my boycott will be no idle action.

wdlsguy
December 11, 2004, 03:10 PM
I just read an article in USA Today, where your spokeswoman, Patty Sullivan, is quoted as saying, "Do you want your mail guy or delivery guy carrying a loaded gun when he comes to the door? What if he's not happy with his tip?"

As a person who is licensed by Texas to carry a concealed handgun, I have no problem with a Pizza Hut delivery guy (or gal) legally carrying a handgun.

I do have a problem with companies run by anti-second amendment bigots however. Goodbye, Pizza Hut. Hello, Dominos and Little Caesars!

taliv
December 11, 2004, 07:23 PM
my note to them:

USAToday: "Do you want your mail guy or delivery guy carrying a loaded gun when he comes to the door?" asks Patty Sullivan, a Pizza Hut spokeswoman. "What if he's not happy with his tip?"

What a shame. I have been enjoying Pizza Hut pizza for decades, but no longer. It's bad enough to deny the basic right to self-defense to your employees who are robbed often enough that they're only allowed to carry $20, but to insult the hundreds of thousands of United States citizens who exercise their lawful right to carry a firearm is unacceptable.

Do you honestly believe your employees would shoot someone over a tip? I must say, that if that is enough of a concern that you would print it in the USAToday, then I certainly do not want any of them showing up on my doorstep, as that type of person will not be deterred from carrying a firearm by your corporate policy.

Love your pizza,

71Commander
December 11, 2004, 08:17 PM
The company that owns Pizza Hut also owns Kentucky Fried Chicken and Taco Bell.

goon
December 12, 2004, 01:06 AM
My response ...

I just wanted to let you guys know that I read the article from USA Today about the pizza delivery guy who used a gun to defend himself and was then fired for doing so.
What was the guy supposed to do? Did your company expect him to give his life for a pizza or a small amount of money?
I work at a gun shop and I sometimes carry a firearm. Most of the people I know also carry firearms and I don't think that I know anyone who doesn't at least own one. I have yet to hear about any of them killing anyone.
Any person, including a pizza delivery guy, would have to go through a pretty strict background check to be able to legally carry a firearm. Keeping that in mind, the people with CCW permits are probably about the safest and most responsible people that you could possibly hire, and I have no problem with them carrying a defensive weapon while they are performing their jobs.
BTW - in response to your spokesperson's comment about what would happen if a delivery person were carrying a gun and he didn't like his tip, I would say nothing would happen. An armed society is a polite society.
Contrary to the anti-gun myths that your spokesperson is helping to spread, gun owners are not just a bunch of ignorant, barefoot, trigger-happy nutjobs who drive around on Saturday nights looking for stop signs to shoot up.

Atticus
December 12, 2004, 01:28 AM
So.... employees who may kill over a bad tip are trusted to drive thousands of miles in cars while representing Pizza Hut? :uhoh: :uhoh:

zahc
December 12, 2004, 02:59 AM
did my part to flood thier inbox.

IANALY
December 12, 2004, 05:31 AM
I just shot one off through their website:

I suppose that today, Pizza Hut learned a great deal about not talking to the press about hot-button political issues. For my part at least, I think it’s an incredibly stupid policy for Pizza Hut to forbid drivers with permits to carry their self-defense weapons on pizza runs; if merely because the next time a permit holder gets mugged, Pizza Hut might just be subject to a lawsuit. However, I have a more personalized motive for writing today.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2004-12-09-guns-cover_x.htm

One of your spokespeople, Patty Sullivan, made an inspiringly doltish remark implying that licensed gun carry permit holders are the type to slaughter citizens in their homes for having received a poor tip. Or, alternatively, she made the equally ignorant implication that Pizza Hut hires delivery people who are likely to commit mass murder if slighted on the tip line. Either way, I don’t feel that economic consequences for such statements are entirely out of line.

I am a strong believer in non-regulation. I would not seek to have the government tell you whether you should allow or ban firearms on your premises, or for your employees. But I am also a strong believer in capitalism, which means I put my dollar where most people put their vote. You won’t be delivering any more pies to my place unless every other pizza place that delivers to me pops off in an equally ignorant manner.

Which begs the question, why, OH WHY, would your public relations spokeswoman sign on to be quoted in an article entitled “Companies who ban guns put on defensive”? It seems like a time when a well placed “no comment” would have earned you a whole lot more revenue.

I own a gun, but I’m not a nutcase – if I saw a pizza delivery person being mugged, I would come to his aid rather than close my blinds and pretend it didn’t happen. People who go through the trouble to be licensed are people who want to do _good_ and _help_. People who plunk down hundreds of dollars and go through tens of hours of training to get carry permits don’t shoot others in the face for giving them a bad tip! The thought is preposterous, and the fact that Pizza Hut believes it to be true is, transitively, preposterous as well.

Done

Powderman
December 12, 2004, 06:39 AM
Another thing to consider:

If it were not for the attempted armed robbery and attempted murder of a pizza delivery driver, hundreds (if not thousands) of law enforcement personnel, servicemembers and others would probably have died, instead of surviving their encounters because they were protected by some of the best lightweight body armor in existence.

Look up the story of Richard Davis--the founder of Second Chance--and you'll see what I mean.

Vitamin G
December 12, 2004, 12:01 PM
I wanted to share my dismay at not only the lack of support given to Mr. Honeycutt, who was placed in horrible circumstance, yet had the foresight to take measures that ensured his own safety and his life.

In addition, due to the stereotype perpetuated by your representatives that gun owners are irrational madmen (Evidenced by the idea that a gun owner who happens to be a pizza delivery driver would kill indescriminately over a small tip), I can no longer in good conscience purchase Pizza Hut pizza. Stuffed crust is good, but the second amendment is better...

- (me)

spartacus2002
December 12, 2004, 12:28 PM
Sent.

scromp
December 12, 2004, 11:02 PM
<aol>

What if I'm crossing the street in front of his car and he's annoyed at the wait? Is he going to run me down? Is this the kind of psycho you employ?

If the answer is no, which I suspect is the case, then I have no problems whatsoever with my delivery person carrying a weapon for their own protection. In fact, it would comfort me to know that they're not risking their life to bring me a pizza, or making my front porch a momentary target simply by being an easy mark.

This kind of mindless reflexive comment on the part of your spokeswoman does your company a great disservice. While I prefer your pizzas to those of your competitors, as a responsible gun owner who is trained and licensed by the state of Kentucky to carry a concealed weapon, I feel that I and my family must now look elsewhere for our almost weekly Thursday night pizzas, at least until I hear that Pizza Hut has developed a more enlightened policy towards its employees (and America's 80 million gun owners, as well.)

Thanks for your time.

schromf
December 12, 2004, 11:12 PM
Well I would like to be on this bandwagon, but it would be pure BS cause I already boycott Pizza Hut. They don't do anchoives and their pizza's suck in my opinion. Pizza isn't high on my foodgroups anyway.

beerslurpy
December 12, 2004, 11:58 PM
Call me captain concise- I wrote:

"Heard you guys were firing employees who carry firearms while delivering despite having valid CCW permits. I am hereby suspending patronage of your company. I no longer intend to use your franchises personally or for company events involving the ordering of pizza. "

I switched to Papa John's years ago, but they dont know that. Now I am boycotting their pizza on political grounds isntead of just because it sucks.

Zundfolge
December 13, 2004, 01:05 AM
I switched to Papa John's years ago
Papa John's has the same policies as Pizza Hut when it comes to the lives of their delivery people ... same thing with Domino's and any other large chain.

Find a local mom & pop Pizza place and patronize them ... they are the least likely to prevent lawful carry by their delivery drivers, and chances are you'll get better pizza anyway (or, go to Papa Murphy's and you'll get better pizza for less money ... you just have to bake it yourself)

carpettbaggerr
December 13, 2004, 05:26 PM
"What if he's not happy with his tip?"So they'll just punch me in the mouth if they aren't packing a gun?

Peet
December 13, 2004, 05:29 PM
schromf said:

> Well I would like to be on this bandwagon, but it would be pure BS cause
> I already boycott Pizza Hut. They don't do anchoives and their pizza's
> suck in my opinion. Pizza isn't high on my foodgroups anyway.

I gotta agree with that. One of the RARE upsides of living in the Peoples'
Socialist Republic is GOOD pizza even for folks like us who don't really
like it.

All the chains (Hut, papa gino, etc. etc.) are around the (commie) Univ
of M???????s, a real blue zone. Oddly, the red zone starts < 10 miles
away from there...just like the good and cheap food...

peet

spacemanspiff
December 13, 2004, 05:52 PM
yeah, i havent been able to bring myself to order a cardboard-tasting-pizza from pizza hut, dominos or any other major chain. theres lots of local piza joints that have far better pizza (Todays, sicilys) also if i had a choice it would be chinese over pizza, unless i got a 'buy one get one free' coupon.

SLCDave
December 13, 2004, 07:31 PM
I sent them my letter. No more Pizza Hut for me.

Powderman wrote:
Another thing to consider:

If it were not for the attempted armed robbery and attempted murder of a pizza delivery driver, hundreds (if not thousands) of law enforcement personnel, servicemembers and others would probably have died, instead of surviving their encounters because they were protected by some of the best lightweight body armor in existence.

Look up the story of Richard Davis--the founder of Second Chance--and you'll see what I mean.

And then Second Chance knowingly sold Zylon vests which proved not to be effective, and they resulted in the deaths of several law enforcement officers. The company knew about the issue, and in an internal memo directed their employees by stating:

"We continue operating as though nothing is wrong until one of our customers is killed or wounded,”.

This is one of the reasons they were forced into bankruptcy.

Utah got a settlement out of them by filing papers stating that because the product was faulty, that services weren't rendered, and they demanded a refund.

<see http://kutv.com/gephardt/local_story_260144143.html for the local story.>

hutch24
December 13, 2004, 07:33 PM
I've been boycotting Pizza Hut for a long time now because it take an hour and a half for them to deliver a pizza and if it does make it, the pizza sucks anyway. My advice, go to the local smaller pizza joints, better pizza better service. :cool:

P.S. Spiff you ever go to Guido's for pizza?

dustind
December 13, 2004, 09:05 PM
i fired off an email. i sure wish that everybody else on this board will, too... We are, we just do not have anything to add to the conversation. Well, actually I had a friend that managed a Dominos in a bad neighborhood. He had a few stories of attempted robberies. Some against one of his employees that used to live in a bad part of Russia that did not go so well for the criminals. :eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "Just got off the phone with Pizza Hut" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!