Saeco Lubri-Sizer? Good? Bad? ;) Ugly?

PDA

esheato
December 10, 2004, 11:47 PM
I'm not quite casting my own yet as I'm still an apartment dweller, but I'm starting to collect the required equipment. I figure a lubri-sizer would be a nice addition and something that I could do on my own. I have friends with pots and molds and permission to make as many bullets as I want, but casting and lube-sizing at their place takes up a lot of their time. If I could cast at their place and lube-size at my place: I could cast a lot more bullets in the same amount of time and I could use the lube and sizing die that I want to use.

So....long story short, who has used one of these? What do you think? I've played with the RCBS unit and I don't like it very much. To much handle cranking and a loose contruction (it just doesn't feel like a very solid unit).

Saeco says that their lube reservoir is pressurized so less lube-control handle manipulation and a longer operating handle which means more leverage/less physical effort on my part. Both of these features would be great to have when I'm doing 1000+ bullets.

Thanks in advance.

Ed

If you enjoyed reading about "Saeco Lubri-Sizer? Good? Bad? ;) Ugly?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
klw
December 11, 2004, 12:20 AM
The SAECO Lubricator/Sizer is the only SAECO product that I WOULD NOT recommend. The leverage system is a grief. Lubricating a lot of bullets is far more work than on any other machine. Also the main guts wear out. I'm sure about that. I just got my machine back from having them fix it. The problem is that the main gasket inverts just before it breaks so if you study it as you take it apart after it is broken you'll try to put it in backwards. Worse yet the parts kit they sell you to so this repair has a piece you don't need. That gets confusing. No picture of proper assembly doesn't help either. There is some suggestion that really old SAECO's had a different set of guts that probably worked better but I sure don't like the modern version.

Magma make the Star lubricator/sizer, a very very good machine.

There is nothing wrong with either the Lyman nor RCBS. The Lyman works best with sizing dies below 0.46 inches. The RCBS work best with sizing dies below about 0.51. For either you can get dies up to 0.577 but you don't want to.

Of all these, only RCBS comes with a lifetime guarantee. Anything breaks ever and you get the replacement parts free. Hard to beat that.

esheato
December 11, 2004, 10:17 AM
klw,

Thanks for the heads-up. I would have thought the Saeco unit to be top-notch and one of the better ones to own.

I have heard from several people that the Star unit is just amazing, but it definitely isn't cheap.

Ed

Paul "Fitz" Jones
December 30, 2004, 12:07 AM
The original Black Cast Iron Saeco luber is an excellent machine of the 1947-1979 California company. If you can get one from an old timer go for it particularly if you wish to attach gas checks to your bulllets.

The Original Star Cast Iron Luber that is blue is selling on e-bay used for more than the magma company is asking for their part aluminum silver color model.
If an old timer wants to let one go jump on it also for high speed mainly pistol bullet lubing.

Many old timers or their kids are selling these tools on e-bay and are getting excellent prices for them.
Fitz

Steve Smith
December 30, 2004, 12:39 AM
I have a Magma Star Lubrisizer and it is good but I wonder if the lube needed to be heated because it was very difficult to operate the one time that I tried to lube some bullets with it. Before that I was using a lee luber...it works better than you'd think but won't size.

Maybe when I get back I will set up a lube station and this time I'll heat that Magma unit.

If you enjoyed reading about "Saeco Lubri-Sizer? Good? Bad? ;) Ugly?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!