How do I get it out?!

PDA

ShaiVong
December 12, 2004, 04:53 PM
I'm trying to remove the front sight post from my AR15 and I can't drive the pins out! I've tried heating it with a propane torch (all I have) and they still wont come out.

Any special techniques I should try?

If you enjoyed reading about "How do I get it out?!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HEiST
December 12, 2004, 04:55 PM
Get a smaller cat.

simmonsguns
December 12, 2004, 07:11 PM
get a bigger hammer.good solid work bench,you don't need any flex or rebound when useing a hammer.get or make a good starter punch,one that will not bend or break(it's not fun removing pieces of the punch from your hand).also these pins are one way pins,make sure you are driving them out the correct way.don't do little hits,you won't get anywhere.one good solid hit with an 8 oz hammer will get them started,just don't miss.

yesterdaysyouth
December 12, 2004, 07:19 PM
make sure you're driving them the right way...

it really shouldn't be that hard ...

Harry Tuttle
December 12, 2004, 07:23 PM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=201469

NMshooter
December 15, 2004, 04:02 PM
Are you talking about the front sight post or the front sight base?

DnPRK
December 15, 2004, 06:18 PM
The pins holding some front sight bases are tapered (cone shaped) and the heads have been flattened like a rivet head. Take a dremel and carefully grind off the heads and you will likely see that the pin is larger diameter on one side than the other. You'll understand which side to whack with your punch & hammer once you figure out the pin's taper.

ShaiVong
December 16, 2004, 07:32 PM
I thought I tried both sides, but I'll revisit the whole procedure. Thanks for that procedure link.

It seemed like they were peened like a rivet, but I couldnt tell which side to drive from.

I actually started using a punch and brass hammer, but it quickly degenerated to me wailing on it with a claw hammer. :scrutiny: :D

If you enjoyed reading about "How do I get it out?!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!