Romanian SAR-2 case stuck in chamber problems.

PDA

WhoKnowsWho
December 12, 2004, 09:48 PM
Okay, I have taken my SAR-2 out 4 times recently, and three times, it has been cut short now because of a new Wolf case getting stuck in the chamber. But all it needs is some light tapping with a plastic hammer on the charging handle, and the case comes right out. They don't look deformed in any way, caliper measurements show no differences from other cases. I cleaned the chamber with a brass brush and solvent after the first time it happend too. Any guesses?

If you enjoyed reading about "Romanian SAR-2 case stuck in chamber problems." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Badger Arms
December 12, 2004, 10:15 PM
If you want to shoot Wolf (and I don't know why you would), you should expect such failures. I hear people say that their guns are reliable, blah, blah blah, with wolf, blah, blah, blah. You can try a chamber brush and/or a little light polishing but otherwise don't expect reliability.

MartinS
December 12, 2004, 11:31 PM
I'm not a gunsmith but my first move would be to blacken a fired case and an unfired case with marker, safely chamber and extract them and look for signs of a burr or such in the chamber. I have fired many Wolfs in 5.45 and 7.62, never any function problems. Does your SAR 2 function with other ammo types?

Dave R
December 13, 2004, 12:27 AM
There are many reports of Wolf ammo sticking in chambers (like the 9mm in my BHP) but I have not heard many reports of Wolf sticking in Eastern-Bloc weapons.

Hmmm--is there any brass-cased 5.45X39 ammo available? If so, I would try it.

You might also try polishing the chamber a bit...

MAKOwner
December 13, 2004, 12:28 AM
If you've cleaned up the chamber and it doesn't appear to have any burrs, it's probably a weak extractor spring/bad extractor I would think. I've heard of a few people with this problem and that was the cause if I recall correctly. I'm assuming the extractor slipped off the round in the chamber, tried to chamber another round thus jamming, and you had to manually get the stuck round out.

If the round was stuck in the chamber particularly well due to some lacquer or polymer or whatever they're using now buildup or there was a burr in the chamber I'd think the case rim should be deformed from the extractor ripping it up when it wouldn't give way and extract. Since it sounds like the case was just fine (correct me if there was indeed some deforming/tearing on the case from the extractor) and like it wasn't particularly hard to remove immediatly after I'm thinking the extractor didn't hold well enough and slipped off...

For now try taking the bolt apart and cleaning up the extractor and it's spring, may be gunked up and not getting a firm grip on the rounds, or it could just be a weak spring. Obviously inspect the extractor for signs of wear if the rifle has a few rounds through it, I'm betting it's fine though. I'm not sure where to get a extractor spring currently, but if you search around on gunsnet.net for a source it should be a cheap thing to try... (Check that, http://www.globaltrades.com/ has them for $4.99 under receiver parts...)

I fired just shy of 1000 rounds of Wolf through my old SAR2 and never had a hiccup...

WhoKnowsWho
December 13, 2004, 09:49 AM
If you want to shoot Wolf (and I don't know why you would), you should expect such failures.

Wolf is the only US source of 5.45 x 39 I know of. I have never seen anything else. Gun Broker has one listing for another 5.45 which is the same styled metal case with laquer.

I'd think the case rim should be deformed from the extractor ripping it up when it wouldn't give way and extract

Yes, it is slightly deformed, but it was still intact enough that I could push the block forward to latch onto the rim again, and then use the plastic hammer on the handle to bump it out.

Well, I'll try the extractor spring, I'll order one while I double check the chamber for burrs again. Thanks for the help!

Feanaro
December 13, 2004, 02:27 PM
If the rim was still on the round I would suspect the extractor. I've had a few stuck rounds(the extraction system of the G3/CETME does not like thin commercial brass) and in every case the rim was ripped right off. Were the cases a grey color? If so I highly doubt there is a laquer problem since those are polymer coated.

petrel800
December 13, 2004, 03:05 PM
"If you want to shoot Wolf (and I don't know why you would), you should expect such failures. I hear people say that their guns are reliable, blah, blah blah, with wolf, blah, blah, blah. You can try a chamber brush and/or a little light polishing but otherwise don't expect reliability."

Ummm . . . its a russian designed weapon, so it was designed to fire a russian designed steel cased cartridge. Just like wolf. Sorry my friend, but your wolf bashing isn't helping the problem. I'm glad you have the money and the time to go looking for brass cased 5.45x39 ammo. When you find some, let us know.

Its probably your extractor.

Badger Arms
December 13, 2004, 03:37 PM
its a russian designed weapon, so it was designed to fire a russian designed steel cased cartridge.Um, it's a commercial manufacturer that happens to SUCK. By you logic, the Raven pistol should be reliable with CCI Blaser ammo because both are American designed? Your logic eludes me. If you like Wolf, fine, use it. I'll stick with my .02 more expensive brass cased ammo.

WhoKnowsWho
December 13, 2004, 03:37 PM
Were the cases a grey color? If so I highly doubt there is a laquer problem since those are polymer coated.

Yeah, they are the new ones, funny thing is, I went through 200 of the old red laquer stuff without a problem, now, I am having the problems with the gray ones. Oh well. Maybe I will order a new claw along with the spring. Too bad K-var doesn't have them in stock, or I would order the folding stock too.

Feanaro
December 13, 2004, 04:46 PM
Yeah, they are the new ones, funny thing is, I went through 200 of the old red laquer stuff without a problem, now, I am having the problems with the gray ones.

I've heard some people say the same. The supposedly evil laquer didn't do anything to their firearm and the new casings did.

I'll stick with my .02 more expensive brass cased ammo.

Show me where I can find 20 rounds of brass cased 7.62x39 for $1.60 and I'll buy it up right quick. I don't think Who has a choice of what he uses, Barnaul or Wolf are the only companies that make 5.45 so far as I know.

petrel800
December 13, 2004, 05:27 PM
"By you logic, the Raven pistol should be reliable with CCI Blaser ammo because both are American designed?"

Ummm . . . the last time I checked, the Raven Pistol and CCI Blaser Ammo had nothing in common. However, in communist countries (like russia used to be) the government owns both the ammo factory and the arms factory. So the two (gun and ammo) were developed together for use with each other.

WhoKnowsWho
December 13, 2004, 09:18 PM
If you like Wolf, fine, use it. I'll stick with my .02 more expensive brass cased ammo.

Yeah, where is this magic brass cased ammo that is only .02 more expensive for my SAR-2? :scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "Romanian SAR-2 case stuck in chamber problems." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!