Picture thread: Show your .357 Redhawks!

PDA

slick6
December 12, 2004, 11:47 PM
1)How many members, would have the desire for a .357 Redhawk, if they could find one? Why or why not?

2)Redhawk .357 owners: Your likes and dislikes about this gun? History, about finding it? How many do you own? Did you buy NIB or, "Used"?

3)Let's see some pictures of your .357 Redhawks?

If you enjoyed reading about "Picture thread: Show your .357 Redhawks!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fiveshooter
December 13, 2004, 12:48 AM
Hi slick6,

:) I find it funny how just about anything that Ruger discontinues becomes suddenly desireable to someone. I guess since there was not that many made collectability must play a part in someone wanting a .357 Redhawk.

slick6 wrote:1)How many members, would have the desire for a .357 Redhawk, if they could find one? Why or why not?

I have 3 Redhawks now in .44 Mag.(Two 5.5" barrled and one 7.5")and would like to find a good deal on a use one in .45 Colt with a 5.5" barrel. Personally as a shooter I think the gun is way oversized for the .357 chambering. The GP 100 would be a much better choice. Also the gun is quite heavy in the .357 chambering. The gun buying public in general obviously felt the same way because if they were big sellers they would not have been discontinued. I hear that the Redhawk in .45 Colt is slated to be dropped next year as well.
In any case I dont think you would ever find a stronger double action chambered for the .357 than a Redhawk but all that strength is not needed. I am anxious to see how many pictures this thread produces of .357 Redhawks. I have seen a few for sell at local gun shows but have never considered buying one. Of course this is just my oppinion.

slick6
December 13, 2004, 01:22 AM
Hello again, Fiveshooter!

1)Like you, I wanted to not only hear about-but, to also see how many .357 Redhawks might show-up here, in this picture thread?

2)I just located(And, bought!)a 7.5" barreled .357 Redhawk(Gotta wait two weeks for it though-due to XMAS holidays!)! It's the only one I've ever seen here in **********! If I had a choice, I would have picked the 5.5" barrel size(But, then again, I have never fired any Redhawk before-nor have I ever owned one, to know for sure, which barrel length, would be the best?)! Just for looks, my eyes tell me that I would like the 5.5" barrel!

3)I knew when I bought my .357 Redhawk, that the gun was too heavy for the .357 caliber! Still, I knew that it had to be somewhat "Rare"? But, I like to own "Unique" things! And, this .357 Redhawk, fills the bill! If I do shoot it, I wouldn't want any bigger caliber, than .357(As I want the gun to be a real "Pussycat" to shoot!)!

4)I had hoped, that this picture thread, will bring out not only some pictures of these .357 Redhawk's but, to capture some "Enthusiastic" reports(And, knowledge about!)these guns, from their various owners?

5)I will post a picture of my .357 Redhawk ASAP(After the waiting period)?

Fiveshooter
December 13, 2004, 01:52 AM
:D slick6,
Unless the gun is perfectly NIB I would shoot it. You simply can't hurt such a strong gun by shooting it. Since its a Redhawk don't expect a very smooth trigger in either double or single action. The gun uses a single spring that functions both as a main spring and trigger return. With a little wirk mine have good single action pulls but leave a lot to be desired in double action mode. No guestion the gun will have light recoil. BTW is yours stainless or blue? If it is stainless all the more reason to not worry about shooting it as any marks on the cylinder can be removed.
I kinda like rare stuff to but in my case I think "oddball" fits me better than rare :o
I can see why you have not seen any before in CA. I understand your state has only certain "CA approved models" that they allow to be sold there. I guess I sometime forget how fortunate I am to live in a state that has few firearms restrictions. Congratulations on you new purchase. Although it would not be my choice since there are no more being made it will only go up in value.

P95Carry
December 13, 2004, 02:00 AM
Oh darn ... .357! Oh well ... will you forgive if I pretty up the page with my .44 mag and .454 SRH's???

Just seems like we need some color! :p I do LURV Redhawks! Not that anyone would have guessed LOL.

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/cb_gun2/srh_s.jpg

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/cb_gun2/srh_454_02_s.jpg

slick6
December 13, 2004, 03:50 AM
Fiveshooter:

1)My .357 Redhawk is stainless! In fact, this is the gun that I had posted about in my other posting, regarding removing the "Satin" finish(To give this gun a more polished look!)that you immediately, responded to!

2)Actually, here in **********, the list is for new guns that can be sold in **********(Mostly)as the only way that we can buy older guns(Less than 50 years old!)is either, guns put on "Consignment" or else to do a PPT(Private party transfer)! Guns 50 years(And older)are not put on the DOJ(Restricted) list(And, can be sold here as C&R's)! The gun situation here in CA, is very "Bleak" to say the least!

3)I can understand that a .357 Redhawk, in view of it's "Mass" and, the fact that it was designed to be for the .44 magnum caliber, that it would seem to be an improper caliber for this gun? Especially to you guys that are used to the "Big boomers"! However, for a "Greenhorn"(Like me!)except for having to hold up that heavy Redhawk, the idea that I could shoot .357 magnum's(Without even flinching!)looks pretty good to me!

4)I truly hope that more members, will keep responding to this thread? I mean, if an .357 Redhawk, was an S&W revolver(Instead of a Ruger!)there would be plenty of "Ranting" going on about it, on the S&W Forum!

slick6
December 13, 2004, 04:02 AM
P95Carry:

1)Yes, I forgive you, for bringing some color into this thread, by showing us your two "Beautiful" Super(Duper!)Redhawk's! In fact, it might even be good for any Redhawk owner to post their guns here on this thread? Maybe these big caliber, Redhawk(Or, Super Redhawk)owner's, might also own some .357 Redhawk's to report on here? Possibly, this will at least, "Enthuse" them enough to at least, comment about the .357 Redhawk, in some way?

2)Your "Stainless" Super Redhawk, is the first "Stainless" one of these that I have seen here in **********! I like both finishes-but, from your "Expert" pictures, I like the looks of the "Stainless" finish the best(On this particular style of Redhawk's!)! Which finish is your "Favorite" between them?

mec
December 13, 2004, 10:57 AM
http://www.gunpix.com/gallery/Handguns/Double_Action_Revolvers/redhawk357.jpg

slick6
December 13, 2004, 01:13 PM
MEC:

1)Thanks for posting your Redhawk(Which I assume, is a ".357"?)!

2)How do those Hogue grips feel(While shooting your Redhawk)?

3)Can you offer any of your "Impression's"(Pro or, Con?)regarding your Redhawk?

mec
December 13, 2004, 01:34 PM
It's a 357 but it ain't mine. A friend has it. He has used it to kill at least one whitetail - 35 yards or so with a head shot. The load was a fast moving Speer 146 grain 3/4" jacketed hollow point. The deer fell in its tracks on top of the remains of the bullet which consisted of the jacketed core. The nose had evaporated during its travels through the deer's head, neck and (broken)foreleg.
The above group was a bench effort at 25 yards and I consider it good even though he had those express sights mounted on it. The front beed of this sighting arragement is right on the edge of microscopic.

Recoil is just not even there. The weight and balance of the revolver damps it down to insignificance. I suspect some people think the thing is too huge for a .357 but I don't really think you can over-engineer a gun for that round- particularly with the full throttle loads that used to be listed.

tc300mag1
December 13, 2004, 07:28 PM
i wouldnt mind one if i run along on one for sale think it might follow me home

If you enjoyed reading about "Picture thread: Show your .357 Redhawks!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!