info on SXS muzzleloader

PDA

COHIBA
March 2, 2003, 09:25 AM
J West Paul elite 12 ga. SXS. all wood is intact and weapon is in working order w/ most finish remaing. hand engraved pheasant on one side and fox on the other. steel butplate.
ANY info would help.

If you enjoyed reading about "info on SXS muzzleloader" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
March 2, 2003, 10:37 PM
I can't find that name in any of my references. It may be the maker or retailer (or even the original owner). My first recommendation is to take the barrels out of the stock and look for proof marks. Unless the gun is a modern reproduction, the barrels are made of welded together steel and/or iron, either twisted strips or simply plates wound around a mandrel. In other words, I stongly recommend against shooting it, even with black powder.

Also, please check and make sure it is not loaded. Run a wood dowel into the barrels, mark it at the muzzle, then hold it against the top or side of the barrel. If there is an inch or more difference, the gun is probably loaded, and get back to us for advice or take it to a reputable gunsmith.

A picture, if possible, might help in identification.

Jim

COHIBA
March 3, 2003, 10:35 AM
shotgun in hand.
L Westphal is the name on the shotgun. ga. appears to be 20. double trigger. marks are as such.
"22478" under right BBL
"FR" inverted but beside above #'s
"16.6" under right BBL to rear
"LG" w/ "*" underneath on underside of left BBL at rear
"L WESTPHAL IN PEINE" between BBLs and inlaid w/ possibly silver.

Jim K
March 5, 2003, 12:31 AM
Peine is a city in Germany, in Braunschweig Kreis, about halfway between Hannover and Braunschweig (Brunswick). L. Westphal was probably the name of the maker, though it could be the retailer.

Those marks don't seem to be German proof marks. If the LG and * is E/LG/* in an oval, that is a Belgian (Liege) proof mark. It is possible that the gun is Belgian and Herr Westphal was the retailer.

Sorry I can't provide better info.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "info on SXS muzzleloader" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!