If you are at all interested in the 1911...

PDA

garrettwc
December 14, 2004, 12:49 AM
...you need to check out the January issue of SWAT magazine.

There is an excellent article by Ned Christiansen about what makes the 1911 tick, and what to check when it doesn't.

Another great issue from Denny and the crew!

If you enjoyed reading about "If you are at all interested in the 1911..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911Tuner
December 14, 2004, 08:17 AM
In addition to being one of the most talented custom pistolsmiths around, Ned is a genuinely nice guy. He is completely devoid of arrogance and
always keeps an open mind to learning a new trick. He's been relatively unknown in most circles other than the forums and around his home turf, but I think that's gettin' ready to undergo a change. Keep an eye on this one,
folks. One day you can say that you used to exchange PMs and E-mails with him on some of the gun forums.

Cheers!

Tuner

garrettwc
December 14, 2004, 06:36 PM
BTDT Tuner.

I have exchanged a few questions with Ned now and then. The first of his work that I had ever seen was a 5" 1911 set up as a carry comp. It was the standard 1911 length more or less, but had the comp integrated into the slide.

The real kicker was that he made it in 10MM!

Kruzr
December 14, 2004, 07:06 PM
For those not familiar with Ned's work. Take a gander......be sure and click on the thumbnails to enlarge and see what Ned describes as "Imaginative Custom Metalwork." He is a true artist.
http://www.m-guns.com/gallery.php

Love this one:
http://www.m-guns.com/galimg/ade.jpg

1911Tuner
December 14, 2004, 07:17 PM
Ned's another mad scientist...He runs experiments with the guns just to see what they'll do. He showed that the recoil spring didn't have anything to do with containing pressure or controlling barrel unlock timing by firing a pistol repeatedly with the recoil spring missing. Nothing changed...not even the bullet point of impact on target...and the frame rails didn't get all beat to Helen Gone either neither.

The thing that I like best about him is that he seems to be almost embarrassed whenever somebody calls him a "Genius in Steel". The man is a class act.

Cheers!

Warren
December 14, 2004, 08:16 PM
So does that mean recoil springs are not needed? :confused:

gamachinist
December 14, 2004, 08:52 PM
Depends on if you want a self loader or a manual loader!

garrettwc
December 16, 2004, 02:09 PM
Kruzr, that's the very gun I was referring too!;)

If you enjoyed reading about "If you are at all interested in the 1911..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!