Info on making custom grips

PDA

NavajoNPaleFace
December 14, 2004, 08:54 AM
I've been pondering the idea of making (or, possibly in the end, only attempting to make :) ) custom grips for some of my pistols.

But, to be honest, I have few ideas of where to start and/or how to go about the process.

I've searched the internet for some ideas of sites or books on the "how to"s of making the grips but I've run into dead ends around every corner.

Does anyone out there have information on sites, books, tutorials, or otherwise on how to go about making the grips and do any of you have any suggestions on any tools and etc. that I might need?

Danke.

If you enjoyed reading about "Info on making custom grips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armoredman
December 14, 2004, 10:46 AM
Remember that Hakan guy who's grips you like? http://www.imageseek.com/hakan/ If you e-mail him, he will probably help you quite a bit!

Bill Z
December 14, 2004, 10:54 AM
Try this link, I belive it will be useful.

Bill

http://www.blindhogg.com/grip.html

NavajoNPaleFace
December 15, 2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Armoredman, I considered your suggestion but I'm not too sure if a person would help out another that might be competition. I know I'm not, and I know I never would be, but from his standpoint I might be.

Bill, I appreciate the link and it's helped me out tremendously.

I am still trying to figure out his reference to the jib....in how it might be made.

I nearly completed a set of experimental grips until I made a fatal error and took too much wood off of one angle. But, it'll be back to the practice table today.

I am trying the techniques out on one of the easiest, if not the easiest, grip design...the 1911.

Once again, guys, thanks for your help.

Bill Z
December 15, 2004, 10:56 AM
Alan, don't underestimate Haken, he's a true craftsman, you've got nothing to lose by contacting him, he will most likely surprise you.

If you enjoyed reading about "Info on making custom grips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!