Allergic to gunpowder?

PDA

nomadboi
December 14, 2004, 05:27 PM
Ever heard of anyone having an allergic reaction to gunpowder? Took a buddy shooting (he's gone before, but not much) and shortly thereafter he noticed an itching on his right wrist- which then turned into an all-over skin rash, with some coughing and sneezing too... of course, we'd just done Chinese dim sum at a resteraunt he hadn't been to before prior to going shooting, but he's never had any food allergies before.

Just thought I'd ask around. He got better pretty quickly, took some antihistamines and whatnot. No way of knowing if it was something in the food or the gunpowder, but the rest of us were fine with both.

Shooting a Luger .22 and a Steyr M40 (Remington and S&B ammo), not that it should matter... indoor range, but with decent ventilation.

Me, I'm just allergic to bullets travelling at high velocity, but I'm generally fine as long as they don't touch me.
;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Allergic to gunpowder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fletcher
December 14, 2004, 06:32 PM
I think there's sulfur in the powder - is it possible he was allergic to that?

jefnvk
December 14, 2004, 07:35 PM
Man, that would suck.

Gifted
December 14, 2004, 07:38 PM
THere's sulphur in the powder, though I don't think it would affect the skin. I suppose it's possible. Take him shooting after some good American food, or eat the Chinese without taking him shooting, and see if it happens again.

Jonathan
December 14, 2004, 08:00 PM
You can't be allergic to just sulfur: it would have to be the sulfur-containing compounds in the powder residue.

Although modern powder is very low in sulfur, isn't it? I thought it was mostly nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin.

PinnedAndRecessed
December 14, 2004, 08:04 PM
Only if it's in the process of igniting right behind a bullet and headed my way.

Tom Servo
December 14, 2004, 08:12 PM
And I thought it sucked being allergic to chocolate. Man, that's far, far worse.

There's a guy at my range who can only shoot for a few minutes at a time because his eyes start getting really irritated. Apparently, he's allergic, too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Allergic to gunpowder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!