Oh no... a possible SF gungrab!?

PDA

reagansquad
December 15, 2004, 10:35 PM
OH GOD... :( A SF gun grab!?
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...&cid=519&nci...

City residents will vote next year on a proposed weapons ban that would deny handguns to everyone except law enforcement officers, members of the military and security guards.

If passed next November, residents would have 90 days to give up firearms they keep in their homes or businesses. The proposal was immediately dismissed as illegal by a gun owners group.

The measure — submitted Tuesday to the Department of Elections by some city supervisors — would also prohibit the sale, manufacturing or distribution of handguns, and the transfer of gun licenses, according to Bill Barnes, an aide to Supervisor Chris Daly.

...I found this over @ DU. They aren't much happier about it than we are. One of them commented that they may (suprise suprise) be using the registration lists to confiscate any handguns in the city.

If you enjoyed reading about "Oh no... a possible SF gungrab!?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pilgrim
December 15, 2004, 10:47 PM
San Francisco tried this back when Senator Diane was Mayor Diane. The city ordinance was invalidated by state preemption. Of course, the state didn't have Comrade Attorney General Lockyer back then.

Pilgrim

CGofMP
December 15, 2004, 10:54 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but did't they try this in Sunyvalle or los Altos in the early 80s as well?

They tried a similar thing by referendum (prop 15) years ago and it was defeated by the voters.. but the landscape has changed. I will BET that this thing passes popular vote.

Insanity

Pilgrim
December 15, 2004, 11:14 PM
This ordinance can be defeated by some clever videos of the 1992 Los Angeles riot showing Reginald Denny getting his head bashed in at Normandie and Figueroa streets, and the LAPD busy protecting their headquarters at the same time.

Pilgrim

4v50 Gary
December 15, 2004, 11:21 PM
Amazing. I keep hearing about a deficit of $85 million and they want to pass a "feel good" law that will cost $1 million to defend. They're throwing away $$$$ and I'd wish they'd throw some my way.

BTW, is there a Pink Pistol that can go before the Bored of Supervisors and pitch a stink?

jefnvk
December 15, 2004, 11:22 PM
One thing I have noticed DU IS split on is gun rights. Many, if not most, of the members do believe that the Dems should drop any further gun control schemes, as they realize that it is an invasion of rights.

I wouldn't think this has much hope to be defeated. I am told that SF is one of the most liberal places in America, if not the world.

R.H. Lee
December 15, 2004, 11:26 PM
How about the Pink Pistols step up to the plate on this one? 'Splain how disarming them will subject them to hate crimes. Liberals hate hate crimes.

USP45usp
December 15, 2004, 11:29 PM
Geez,

For all of those that say that we are "paranoid":

DC - Register handguns, now handguns outlawed

NY - Register handguns/Rifles, use lists to "grab" up "guns that you shouldn't own since we now made them illegal"

to....

SF - Ban handguns and use the lists to "grab" up "guns that you shouldn't own since we now made them illegal".

Maybe the pro-gun groups have a point, Registration = Restrictions = Give them all up or else.

:barf:

And to add insult to injury, SF has the highest gay population in the US that I know of and I am ashamed to even be a gay man right now.

Wayne

QuarterBoreGunner
December 15, 2004, 11:37 PM
Oh great...

Here I go back to the phone and letter campaign... I doubt they ever listen but I *really* dislike stuff like this, no matter that it doesn't have the weight of law behind it and is purely symbolic.

Oh and Daly is a straight up nut job. Even for San Francisco.

Stand_Watie
December 15, 2004, 11:45 PM
And to add insult to injury, SF has the highest gay population in the US that I know of and I am ashamed to even be a gay man right now.

Don't let it get to you. Probably most of the members of this board are straight white males but we (ok me anyway) don't feel ashamed of that whenever we hear about a klan or neo-nazi rally.

madkiwi
December 15, 2004, 11:53 PM
If it does pass, we won't see a Democrat in the Whitehouse for another generation.

Always look on the bright side, as my mum used to say...

madkiwi

Standing Wolf
December 16, 2004, 12:30 AM
http://www.yellowtruck.com

CGofMP
December 16, 2004, 12:33 AM
Droll wolfman.. VERY DROLL!

:neener:

Shanghai McCoy
December 16, 2004, 12:45 AM
That Standing Wolf is a very funny guy... :D I hear that he misses the nice climate and sunny beaches too.

TheFederalistWeasel
December 16, 2004, 01:12 AM
When the last American leaves ********** please honor your solemn duty and bring the flag with you.

:mad:

12 Volt Man
December 16, 2004, 01:20 AM
I know that every year in San Francisco, they have a Gay Pride parade.

It might be cool if they could stage a "Gun Pride Parade" Thousands of people carrying rifles on their shoulders and open carrying pistols. That would be a beautiful thing.

oh wait.......

The sheeple would be too scared and it would never go over good. Somebody would get carried away and start firing rounds into the air like they do in Arab nations to celebrate. It would all go very bad.

twoblink
December 16, 2004, 01:23 AM
Jim March in... 3.... 2.... 1... :banghead:

SF, it needs to sink into the ocean..

SnakeEater
December 16, 2004, 02:18 AM
What if SIG, HK, Beretta, Glock, S&W, etc,etc,etc stopped selling firearms to the cities Police Department? In this months American Rifleman is a re-print of a letter written by Ronnie Barrett, owner of Barrett Firearms, addressed to Chief Bratton of the LAPD. LA is attempting to ban all civilian ownership of .50 rifles except for LEO's of course. It is a lengthy letter but here is a quote that should open some eyes. Apparantly Mr. Barrett returned from his lobbying in LA to his office only to discover LAPD had sent in one of it's Barrett rifles for service. Here's his words.

"Please excuse my slow response on the repair service of the rifle. I am battling to what service I am repairing the rifle for. I will not sell, nor service, my rifles to those seeking to infringe upon the Constitution and the crystal clear rights it affords individuals to own firearms."

Mr. Barrett just picked up a new customer. I'll do my small part in offsetting the revenue he's gonna lose.

Telperion
December 16, 2004, 03:02 AM
I just watched a local TV news segment on this. Supervisor Charles Daly is quoted as saying the goal is keep guns "out of the hands of regular people" (emphasis mine). :barf:

stv
December 16, 2004, 03:16 AM
This is so not happening. Letter writing campaign in 3...2...1...

DigMe
December 16, 2004, 10:21 AM
Paging Jim March....Paging Jim March...

brad cook

c_yeager
December 17, 2004, 03:14 AM
It might be cool if they could stage a "Gun Pride Parade" Thousands of people carrying rifles on their shoulders and open carrying pistols. That would be a beautiful thing.

The last people to try this in Cali were the Black Panthers. IIRC it scared people enough to become the catalyst for many of the wonderful California gun laws that we have today.

mr hanky
December 17, 2004, 03:52 AM
Quote:

"If it does pass, we won't see a Democrat in the Whitehouse for another generation.

Always look on the bright side, as my mum used to say..."

Don't you think that the liberals could find a way to "statistaclly" prove this ban lowered crime, made pigs fly or whatever else they invent.?

How would it keep a lib out of the white house?

Sindawe
December 17, 2004, 04:09 AM
I just watched a local TV news segment on this. Supervisor Charles Daly is quoted as saying the goal is keep guns "out of the hands of regular people"

That sounds to me like Supv. Daly is looking toward a position as Feudal Lord in the principality of San Francisco. Can't let the serfs have means to resist the edicts of their betters after all. :barf:
What if SIG, HK, Beretta, Glock, S&W, etc,etc,etc stopped selling firearms to the cities Police Department?
Would that there was a way to bring this to pass. Surely the non-LEO gun buying market far outnumbers the LEO gun buying market.

Tag
December 17, 2004, 04:15 AM
SF, it needs to sink into the ocean..

I was just thinking the same thing :D

Charles Daly is quoted as saying the goal is keep guns "out of the hands of regular people"

Well if he said it... :scrutiny:

I was reading something on GT in which one of the given reasons for the proposed ban was to decrease suicide :banghead:

DaVinci42
December 17, 2004, 05:00 AM
Don't you think that the liberals could find a way to "statistaclly" prove this ban lowered crime, made pigs fly or whatever else they invent.?

How would it keep a lib out of the white house?

1. They've statistically proven it hundreds of times, just like the right-wing whack-jobs have proven it false. Right-wingers believe the statistics that prove gun laws are useless, and left-wingers believe the statistics that prove guns cause crime by their mere existence. It's exactly the same with Fox News vs. the NY Times; the Fox News faithful won't believe anything the NYTimes says (whether they've read it or not), and the Times readers swear that Fox News is actually proof positive that Orwell was on to something.

2. It won't keep a liberal out of the white house. Trust me, the only people outside of SF who pay attention to SF politics are gays looking for marriage, and conservatives looking for things to be upset about. We liberals don't particularly care much about the goings on in SF. Just like NYC and Texas, it has its own reality bubble, and goings-on in that bubble rarely pertain to our lives. We leave them alone, and they help deliver a huge bucket of electoral votes every four years. It's a fairly happy arrangement for all sides. If you really want to keep a liberal out of the white house, stick to marketing. So far it's working out quite well for you. ;) :D :neener:

mr hanky
December 17, 2004, 05:33 AM
thanks for the insight da vinci, I agree that people have their own reality bubble.

I assume as well that the "right wing whack jobs" disproving anti gun stats are all on this board as well? Is that why you joined it? Im confused.

DaVinci42
December 17, 2004, 06:07 AM
Sorry for the confusion; that whack-jobs remark was meant to be tongue in cheek, but I botched the delivery. I joined this board because I own several firearms and hold a CCW license, and THR is an excellent resource for just about anything I might want to know about them. I actually joined closer to a year ago and had several posts, but I lost my password and the student email address I was registered under expired. The email they sent with my password went into some data void in the dusty catacombs of the internet. So I had to start over.

But I am a staunch progressive liberal and make no apologies for that. I'd like to hope that there's room here for a non-conforming perspective.

As far as the statistics go, I was definitely serious about both sides using the statistics that tell them they're right. I make it a point not to pay attention to anyone's stats unless they can show me all their data and how they collected it...and usually that's just way too big a hassle for me and them. Left-wingers and right-wingers alike are going to accept the facts they want to accept and reject the facts they don't. Lefties will read the Times, and Righties will watch Fox, and there's nothing I can do about it, except try not to buy into either perspective too strongly.

In the long term, I'll be less alarmed if SF voters pass a firearms ban than if it actually survives judicial review outside of California. I know there are some crazy left-wing whack-jobs who can't figure out that trying to keep guns out of the US just isn't the same as keeping them off of the British Isles, and even if it were, who wants to be British? But there aren't enough of them to cause me concern. My alarm is set to go off if gun-bans start making headway beyond the leftest of the left.

mr hanky
December 17, 2004, 06:38 AM
Davinci - there is definitely room for a non conforming view (at least with me),
I was just a little quick to judge :) - like a lot of people I know.

Whenever I hear people talk about others proving guns cause crime I don't think about other pro gun stats, I think about logic and personal experience, I don't need someone else's stats necessarily.

Again, I think you have a very accurate view of people's interpretation of fact, I would like to here more of your views as well.

saltydog
December 17, 2004, 08:47 AM
Your papers "please"

QuarterBoreGunner
December 17, 2004, 10:49 PM
Tag- I was reading something on GT in which one of the given reasons for the proposed ban was to decrease suicide Yeah that'll work just fine... guess we'll have to stop people from walking across that freakin' BIG GOLD BRIDGE WE HAVE TOO! you never know, someone might jump. *sigh* This is nothing but a fuzzy feel good attempt by the board o' supes to appear like they're doing something about the ongoing turf wars here in Hunters Point/Bayview/Visitacion Valley... and no quick fix is going to solve those problems.

stv
December 18, 2004, 02:20 AM
They recovered a body from the water under the GG Bridge this week. Someone should do something. Think of the children!

Re: the gang battle, a man (21 years old) whom they believe was the leader of Big Block got shot to death. One more down - uncountable retaliatory hits to come.

Oh, and my letter got printed in the Chron today, and was one of 3 condemning the ban attempt. Woohoo! :D

QuarterBoreGunner
December 18, 2004, 02:54 AM
Oh, and my letter got printed in the Chron today, and was one of 3 condemning the ban attempt. Woohoo!

Steve? Ron? Colin?

I'm guessing Steve. See? I could have made detective!

Re: the gang battle, a man (21 years old) whom they believe was the leader of Big Block got shot to death. One more down - uncountable retaliatory hits to come. and as long as the bangers keep offing themselves, I'm ok with it. I'm in Little Hollywood, square middle in the combat zone; sort of like Switzerland in WWII. Quiet and placid amid the sound and fury.

I tell my friends that live downtown (Noe, Fillmore and SOMA) that as long as you're not buying drugs/selling drugs/or flying the wrong flags, you're pretty much a non-combatant...'cept for those pesky stray round.

I keed! I am a keeder!

stv
December 18, 2004, 03:04 AM
Steve? Ron? Colin?

I'm guessing Steve. See? I could have made detective!

Correct! (Hey, SFPD was just hiring...)

and as long as the bangers keep offing themselves, I'm ok with it. I'm in Little Hollywood, square middle in the combat zone; sort of like Switzerland in WWII. Quiet and placid amid the sound and fury.

Yeah, my closest guess was that you weren't in the Marina as they're currently all without power. Wonder if Newsom has any power right now (insert mayor joke here ;) )

I'm in the outer Richmond two blocks from Sutro Heights and the VA. Nice quiet neighborhood - the only crime is the occasional shoplifting at Walgreens.

gunsmith
December 18, 2004, 04:09 AM
And told him this would increase the amount of black people thrown in jail.
He couldn't understand that CA ccw laws are discretionary and that rich white men from CoCo County and Orange County would carry guns and black folks would go to jail for it...
I didn't want to go the race route but it the only thing some folks would listen to.
This is really a "send more poor black folks to jail law"

If you enjoyed reading about "Oh no... a possible SF gungrab!?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!