Gun Safes in you car

PDA

ccw007
December 16, 2004, 09:27 PM
Who make the best gun safe for a automobile? I need something so I can lock my gun in the truck. I would want to mount it to the truck so it could not be removed. If anyone has pictures and a description on how it is mounted that would be great.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Safes in you car" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
USP45usp
December 16, 2004, 09:59 PM
Mine really isn't a "for sale" type of safe. The person that had the truck before I got it had someone weld in a box behind the seat (it's an older truck, 1981). I don't have pictures but what you do is pull the seat fully forward and then lower the back. The way he (or she) had it set up is that you unlock the door and it comes down length wish and it has one of those plastic gun racks mounted inside.

Me, I'm just using it to store the oil, brake fluid, etc.. since I don't hunt much and I don't run around with a rifle in the back. I also carry on me when I drive it so I don't use.

My front seat also has a "holster" sewen in between where your legs would be. Again, it was put there by the previous owner.

Wayne

Marvin Gardens
December 16, 2004, 10:04 PM
I have a safe under the back seat of my pickup from R&D Enterprises (www.handgunsafe.com). It is well built and was delivered quickly after I placed my order. I ran round head bolts through large washers from underneath the truck and into the box. I then used locking nuts on the inside of the safe. I conceals nicely and in my situation, I can reach back between the front seats and access the safe. It is built like a tank, I like it much better than the Gun Vault I used to use.

Regards,

Marvin

Preacherman
December 16, 2004, 10:25 PM
Best selection I've seen is at www.truckvault.com - they have under-seat compartments, rear compartment stuff for SUV's and pickups, trunk storage for autos, etc.

joab
December 16, 2004, 10:26 PM
I found a cash box at a local thrift shop for $1.99.

It looks kinda like the new radio syatems, where you pull out the stereo.

The casing is mounted under the seat and bolted to the floor with up to nine screws or bolts.

The heavy steel lock closes the box itself and locks the box to the casing

Bobothebigdog
December 16, 2004, 10:55 PM
I have a safe under the back seat of my pickup from R&D Enterprises (www.handgunsafes.com). It is well built and was delivered quickly after I placed my order. I ran round head bolts through large washers from underneath the truck and into the box. I then used locking nuts on the inside of the safe. I conceals nicely and in my situation, I can reach back between the front seats and access the safe. It is built like a tank, I like it much better than the Gun Vault I used to use.

R&D Enterprises's website is www.handgunsafe.com

White Horseradish
December 17, 2004, 02:55 PM
I've thought of doing that, but a friend asked me what would stop someobody from stealng the whole truck and working on the box at leisure. How secure is your truck from theft?

mpthole
December 17, 2004, 03:39 PM
I have a "deluxe" model gunvault (http://www.gunvault.com) behind the passenger seat in my truck. Its secured with their cable lock system to the seat frame. Its done everything I've needed it to do. Plus, its got a motion sensor and alarm setting so that if it (or the vehicle) moves, the alarm will go off.

ccw007
December 17, 2004, 04:34 PM
I think the gunvault will fit what I want and were I can mount it. I just look quickly online and they look like they are sold out everywhere???? Who is a good source?

bubbygator
December 17, 2004, 08:17 PM
GunVault (& some others) are not doing good business since a guy illustrated how to open their circular lock with the plastic body of a ball point pen. There's been a few threads - here's one
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=116005&highlight=vault

You should be able to find some used ones pretty cheap.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Safes in you car" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!