I hate cities! (Venting)

PDA

dev_null
March 2, 2003, 04:36 PM
{Rant Mode = ON}

Gods, how I hate cities! Those zones set up to give predators and duppies free rein. Those places where the laws are deliberately set up to give two-legged hyenas and such the protection that the rest of us are debarred.

Went into DC yesterday with my g/f to go to the Renwick (to see the Catlin paintings) and meet a friend for lunch and conversation. Had to leave the guns behind, of course, and go with just a folder. In the space of a single afternoon, we were accosted by 4 beggars, a loud and persistent drunk who made suggestive comments about not leaving the two women alone, and several extremely shady-looking gangbanger types on the subway -- you know the kind: two or three travelling together who immediately split up, one at each door and the other somewhere in the middle, each keeping one hand in the baggy sweatshirt or jacket pocket and managing to look both stoned and jumpy at the same time.

No, nothing major happened... this time. But I've lived in the city before (Chicago: both Woodlawn and Near North), been robbed at gunpoint before, and had friends (and a previous g/f) mugged, and the whole idea of those smug three-piece millionaire illigitemi in our so-called government passing laws that protect the criminals and work to strip us more and more of our natural rights of self-defense, just makes me want to spit blood.

Grrr..... :fire:

{/}

-0-

If you enjoyed reading about "I hate cities! (Venting)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cheygriz
March 2, 2003, 04:48 PM
That's why I live "high up in the Rockies."

Schuey2002
March 2, 2003, 06:37 PM
...and is why I live on the Oregon coast.;)

dev_null
March 2, 2003, 06:46 PM
And it's why I live in Virginia as opposed to Maryland or DC. But sometimes I like to go to the museums or galleries or to Chinatown or Georgetown. And every time I do, I grit my teeth in frustration, as well as being extra careful.

Wonder what the limit on fixed blades is in DC?

-0-

Baba Louie
March 2, 2003, 06:52 PM
Question dev_null...

Was there a metal detector at the Renwick?

Or at any other place you visited?

Cause if there was that's one thing. If no... Hmmmm... to become a criminal (even part time) or no? To feel safe or no?

sigh

I hate (some) cities too.

Adios

fallingblock
March 2, 2003, 06:59 PM
dev_null!

D.C. is where the government meets to pass all those laws to 'protect' us.:rolleyes:

As urban cesspools go, D.C. is in the running!:(

You have to wonder if the 'gangbanger-types' know something the lawmakers don't:scrutiny:

sonny
March 2, 2003, 07:28 PM
In the space of a single afternoon, we were accosted by 4 beggars, a loud and persistent drunk who made suggestive comments about not leaving the two women alone, and several extremely shady-looking gangbanger types on the subway

It doesn't bother me until someone makes a physical attempt at aquiring "spare change"......when they become intimidating to the weak or elderly that's where I step in.
I guess growing up in the city you learn to ignore this sort of crap.
What upsets me most is when one of these pleasant fellows starts to feel comfortable and makes a perminant home on my corner.....they get friendly with one or more of the NEW local tenants (who find them charming for one reason or another) and then harass everybody who doesn't buy their line of bs or sob story.What amazes me is the fact that most of these guys have extensive criminal records but get treated with priority status when there is a dispute or confrotation.......who gives them the priority status? .....the guilt ridden liberals that protect these people like it is a pet project....whenever trouble erupts they jump to defend the (poor homeless guy) over a hard working tax payer....truly frustating :fire:

P.S. I would like to exempt the mentally ill from my complaint ...these people need help and the city does not provide the proper resources to help them or keep the rest of us safe from their actions......let me add that mentally ill or not I do not hessitate to protect myself from them ...obviously

Peetmoss
March 2, 2003, 07:40 PM
No need to worry firearms are illegal in DC. Therefore the only people who could possibly have them are LEO's. You are safe there NOT.:mad:

carp killer
March 2, 2003, 07:53 PM
The reason you see beggers and criminal scum in the cities is because it is natures law. That is where predators find their prey. Safe enviroment (guilt ridden liberals, welfare and gun laws) and prey (unarmed populace). And that will never change. That is why I never go to cities, I refuse to become a prey animal.

12.7x99mm
March 2, 2003, 07:59 PM
Cities are fun to visit if you have to, I wont live in them anymore. I like my trees and mountains and small towns.

JMLV
March 2, 2003, 08:35 PM
and spend as little time there as possible.
I moved to PA about 7 months ago and our biggest problem where I live is "travlers" from across the bridge stealing. :banghead:

dev_null
March 2, 2003, 10:34 PM
baba louie:

I know what you're saying (and in fact they do a bag search but not a pat down when you go into any of the Smithsonian buildings), and it's an argument I've had with myself on numerous occasions. My decision to not carry in DC is based on adding the following together:

1. With increased security these days comes increased chance of being found out. Being found out in this context most likely it means arrest and prosecution, possibly -- depending how gung ho a judge you get -- even jail time, certainly fines and loss of my Va. CCW (here called a CHP, or Concealed Handgun Permit).

2. If I'm ever in a situation where I actually have to use it, prosecution etc. are sure to follow, despite the fact that I would only do so in the most dire circumstances. OK, I and my g/f would be alive, but I'd spending time in Lorton saying hello to Bubba every night.

So I added 1 and 2 and came up with 86. :rolleyes:

-0-

Hmm... Maybe an aluminum cane, in tactical anodized black, of course. ;)

SodaPop
March 2, 2003, 11:25 PM
JMLV- I coulda swore I warned you about that over a year ago. The majority of the crime in Morrisville, PA, comes from the small foot bridge that connect Trenton, NJ, to PA.:rolleyes:

Maybe you should ask your mayor to put a draw-bridge up. Atleast you can raise the bridge at night.

I've been dating a girl from NJ for the last 9months. I have to drive threw Philadelphia every time I go to see her WITHOUT my ccw. :cuss:

Minute_Of_Torso
March 2, 2003, 11:48 PM
I have to go to Seattle every Saturday for a talk radio show on which I am the co-host. Because it's on a "family day" I always take my wife and daughter with me.

If you've ever been to Seattle, you are guaranteed to get accosted by several "street people" when you step off the ferry. In the past I've had some close calls with gangbangers and wannabees that seem to gravitate towards that part of town or just a few blocks inland. They usually use the two or three person approach and get your attention with some street slang mumble while the others circle around and in behind you. If I'm alone I'm into the de-escalation mode, getting away and out of harm's way. When my family is with me, I don't have the option of running due to some physical issues and the age of my daughter.

Fortunately WA State has a shall issue CCW law. When I hit Seattle I am either carrying a 92FS with 15+1 and another 15 on the belt (usually Hydra-Shoks), or a SA MilSpec 1911 with 7+1 and another 7 on the belt (FMJ). My sound guy also carries a 92FS with the same number and same load.

For others than the usual members of this site, I would sound like a paranoid gunslinger wannabe. But I think most of you would agree with me that when my family's safety is in question, "Lethal force is always authorized."

2nd Amendment
March 2, 2003, 11:49 PM
Hives. Full of hive dwellers.

What chaps me the most is the superior attitude so many hive-dwellers take. Because they live in some cramped burg they are so worldly and experienced. I'd love to see a study done on just how much travel the average hive-dweller does outside of their burg. I'd love to see a comparison study on just who is more inbred, too. The "hick family in Tennessee or the families in some sandwich packed neighborhood who've been there for 60 years.

They all seem to forget that without them we in the sticks would still get by. Without those of us in fly-over country they'd be dead in a month...or heading for the sticks.

OK, I'll shut up now.

roscoe
March 3, 2003, 02:07 AM
Man, I just couldn't resist rising to the bait. I have lived in the city, suburbs, and the true sticks (no one within 15 miles, just Utah desert). I loved the sticks and the city, adjusted just barely to the suburbs.

I think that you have to like people, and take them as they come, to live in the city. Or, at least not fear them. And I mean people who might not look or think exactly the way you do. If you can't fend off some old homeless panhandler without feeling violated, I don't know what to say. Sure, they can be bothersome, but the majority have some form of mental illness, and are harmless. I think getting upset over it is more of a reflection on the person getting bent. And the reason they live in the cities is, yes, because there are more homeless shelters and mental health services there.

Living in the city is an adventure, no doubt, but cities are vibrant, fun places once you get the hang of them. There is a reason the majority of great art and literature comes from the city, and always has.

And keep in mind that the vast majority of crime victims in the city are the poor living up the block from the criminal. I reckon few on this forum would fit that profile.

Sure, some country people feel threatened in the city, just like a lot of city people feel threatened when walking through the wilderness. I say, go heavy when you feel the need, but go in and have fun.

What chaps me the most is the superior attitude

. . . and speaking of superior attitudes

Drjones
March 3, 2003, 02:49 AM
Which is why I respect what is right, rather than the law.

The law in and of itself doesn't deserve any respect, least of all unjust and immoral laws.

Here's something you'll like:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~lendringser/declaration.htm

Live it.

BTW, I like cities, just as I like the country...

S_O_Laban
March 3, 2003, 05:35 AM
Drjones, nice link and if you click the " back" link at the bottom there's more, nice pic of a "cool" hat.

dev_null
March 3, 2003, 09:27 AM
Roscoe, I can deal with the panhandlers, I've lived in the city as I mentioned. It's the fact that I know that the cities are like a petting zoo for feral predators, with no legal right of self preservation for the visitors.

I'm not a city person. True story: Sometime after I moved out of Chicago, I ran into someone I'd known there. "So," he sneered, "you couldn't take the city so you ran away?" "Well," I replied, "if you fell into a sewer, and after a while decided to climb out and take a shower, would you call it 'running away?' "

True Story #2: My father used to live in Manhattan. He had a little one-bedroom-and-den condo that cost three-quarters of a million dollars. The building had grafitti spraypainted on the sides and street people living on the step.

True Story #3: A friend of mine lives in DC, in a fairly nice neighborhood. He was held up at gunpoint, and even though he immediately cooperated, he was pistolwhipped for no reason other than the desire to inflict pain.

True Story #4: When I was in Chicago, I was held up by some kids -- no older than 12, I'd say -- one of whom had a gun. I will never forget the feeling of revulsion as the other two ran their hands over me to take my money, rings, etc. It happened at the El station; I later found out the reason they were able to gain free access was because so many ticket agents had been robbed that they decided to collect the money on the train itself.

If that's someone's idea of vibrancy and excitement, all I can say is "Thanks, but no thanks."

-0-

Ebbtide
March 3, 2003, 10:06 AM
I have lived in both and must say I enjoy the city. Being out in the sticks is boring and simple and I can only take that for a short time. But it is enjoyable.

I enjoy being able to walk to a store to get milk and bread. I enjoy going to listen to live music and watch movies. I enjoy museums, sporting events, and concerts. I enjoy not having to dig out my car/truck on snowy days, and I like city services (water, sewer, electricity, gas, cable). I'm not a loner and enjoy being around people and friends and not having to drive 60 miles to visit them.

In general, downtown (Cleveland) is a ghost town at night. The inner city is filled with those described (beggars, thieves, gangs, and drugs). These people live here not because of the number of victims they can get in one night, but that is where most services are centered (welfare, WIC, mental health centers, free meals, shelters, etc., …oh, and very often they are minorities, poor and undereducated too. Now I’m not sure about this, but maybe that is why people turn to crime). Those are the places to stay away from if you do not have business down there. The rest of the city and suburbs have their problems but it is not at all bad.

What chaps me the most is the superior attitude so many hive-dwellers take.

I never heard of that, maybe some one has low self esteem? If this is the case, I would suspect it is from an abundance of culture, arts, news outlets, and greater access to higher education, research, government, transportation, and industries. But that is just a guess.

Washington is not really a city in my book. It is more of a tourist and indigent destination. Sorry to here you had a negative experience. Hopfully the Catlin show will make its way to Beaufort Pass, NC real soon :D

ehenz:D

vulcan
March 3, 2003, 11:00 AM
An eyeopener for me was visiting friends that owned a business in DC years ago. Taking their weekly receipts to the bank is a military operation:( . The ritual consist of a double parked car with engine running, My friend running to the car while a shotgun toting wife keeps watch from the doorway until the car gets underway:what: . They been robbed numerous times & had to convert their deli into a fortress with bulletproof glass & a revolving compartment. What a way to live....

Oleg Volk
March 3, 2003, 11:12 AM
Whenever thriller of the week uses the plot starting with "terrorists plan to nuke Washington DC", I always wonder why anyone living in America would try to stop them...

dev_null
March 3, 2003, 12:17 PM
ehenz, the Catlin paintings were fascinating, but the display was terrible. They chose to mount them "salon style," which means they were in rows above rows on the walls, almost to the ceiling. That might work in an actual salon, but in a room with 30' ceilings, it was an exercise in frustration.

One interesting thing was how sketch-like many of the paintings are. Almost a watercolorist approach. My guess is that as someone more interested in simply recording as much as he could, rather than really telling you much about the people or events themselves, he probably would have been quite happy with a camera instead. One gets the feeling that if he'd been born 100 or 150 years later, he'd have worked with National Geographic. Of course, then we wouldn't have these painted records of a soon-to-be-gone way of life!

I would have liked to see a properly mounted and displayed show, perhaps a double-bill with Karl Bodmer. For that I would go to DC with only my Schrade!

-0-

JerryN
March 3, 2003, 05:10 PM
Ive spent far more time in cities than I have wanted to and detest them more and more the older I get. I know there are "city people" who like the urban environment, but man, its not for me.

One of the worst elements of urban life is the noise. There is no peace and quiet. Its noisy 24/7. Cars, trucks, trains, planes, sirens... it drives me nuts! It makes me want to run out into the street and yell "SHUT UP AND GO HOME!" :)

Yep, give me a natural setting any day. I can fish and hunt here. I can walk around on my own land for hours and not cross my own or any other human tracks. I breath clean air and drink my own clean water.

I can look up at night and see the stars. Try that in a city. It won't happen due to the light and air pollution.

I can experience world class "culture" in less time than city dwellers can. In a half an hour I can dine in any of 30 or 40 different restaurants of various nationalities, attend live music events, movies, live theatre, attend Ivy League lectures and classes, view displays of art from the finest artists living or dead. Actually, some of the best artists and intellectuals in the world reside in rural areas. I know, I'm surrounded by em. My nearest neighbors (aprox. 150yds away) are both English profs.

Up until the current recession, unemployment in this area hovered around 1% for the previous decade. High Tech jobs are the area's specialty, though you'll find the offices right next to dairy farms.

Yup, rural life has the best of all worlds. And vastly less crime. And I am able to easily exercise my constitutional rights as well!

Keep your cities. I'm glad that zillions of you prefer urban life. Stay there! :neener:

dance varmint
March 3, 2003, 05:24 PM
The advantages of the cities are overwhel mingly negated by the disadvantages. Traffic itself is a compelling reason to stay the hell away. Concerts and sporting events mean nothing to me--being part of a rabid crowd, paying out the a$$ for Ticketmaster tickets and parking. A lot of people are fatass loudmouths; at least a lot more than you meet in the rest of the country. The cities attract all the letharios and tramps. News outlets--you mean the liberal birdcage liners, and the Kent Brockmans on the local TV stations? Chicago's WGN anchors were misty-eyed about Bowling for Columbine. Being able to walk to the store for milk--you can do that in any small town, and live to tell about it.

labgrade
March 3, 2003, 06:05 PM
Me too, JerryN. The "hum of traffic" can't be escaped somehow.

Even in The Keys, miles from any "city," the hum from Dixie Highway can't be ridden of till you're 3+ miles off the coast. Although not a city per se, try crossing the road during the first daze of lobster season .....

Driving through Denver during Shane's transplant, I got to be propositioned by "disabled vets" at every street corner that availed itself of a consistant through traffic, watched dregs bounce off the street lights & curbs, propositioning of every sort, pan-handled to beat the band, extra kinds of city-fun that I fled from Miami in the mid-'70s - I could go on ....

Although mostly innured to it all, I cannot help myself to think why do cities swarm with this form of activity - & really, aren't there "laws" that say such actions "aren't allowed?" So much for "societal order."

Yup. "anarchism" (with a bit of modernistic defintions) looks better 'n better every time I see these masses of humanity "interacting." (sheesh)

Cities! Vibrant with life. Culture. Everything you'd ever want (to do, or see). More, likely. The Arts! The Culture! The dregs, the crime, the disaster/s, the coondensation of the worst we have to offer.

Having been somewhat on the cutting edge of seeing the re-birth of what Miami's South Beach was to become (yes, I got to be "one of the initial chosen few" to go 'n play in the newly created discos & "re-birth"), I did bail.

You see, the whole thing is, at best, a huge lie.

Pandering to the "best we have to hope - the lights/the big-time fun aspects" is merely a rediculous parody of a kinda fun-thing - for the time being.

All crazy enough to draw the crowds, but nothing to hold 'em long enough for them to live their lives out as they should.

I watched Miami + south, from '56 through the mid-70s. It went from a fairly "fun," but decadant & fun place to be, to an absolute ********-hole - that, & everything around it.

So goes it with any congregation of a mass of humanity who has nothing regards a moral code.

Cities merely seem to concentrate it.

The main reason I live as far away from them as I do.

fallingblock
March 4, 2003, 05:08 AM
My time in Florida was in the late '70's - mid '80's...I was there when those nice coastal spots disappeared under the condos and gated communities. I remember a friend from New Zealand visiting, just out of university and filled with Liberal ideas of brotherly love. We had been down to the Keys and on the way back he insisted on diverting into west Miami...anyway, when I mentioned that this was the kind of neighborhood you don't want to be in after dark (you know the sort of place...) he said that was all an exaggeration. I made him a small wager about how long he could walk unmolested and he got out while I drove around the block.
I got back in about twenty minutes and he had been panhandled repeatedly and threatened by some gang-types. He said: "It was like they hated me....". Duh.:rolleyes:

S.E. Florida must have been a magnificent place in the early years-now it is one of those "I'd rather not go" places for me.:(

JerryN has the idea...live where it's pleasant and the 'culture' will come to you!:D

labgrade
March 4, 2003, 06:36 AM
Can't argue, fallingblock.

Should've been different, huh? & could have been so much better, if only ....

Had some absolutely wonderful times in the early '70s Miami/The Keys/The 'Glades. I could talk about some incredible "walking the flats" in Biscane Bay where Gables-By-The-Sea eventually came to pass ..... other stuff. The City & all it entailed overran it all. (We used to walk/swim from island-to-island in the heart of The City & could catch anything our hearts desired .... absolute freedom.)

Funny, in a way. Took The Wife "back to The Keys a few years back & we (old buds, etc.) were harkening back to the "olden days" & things we used to do (get away with, I'd guess). She says, "Let's go do that! (I hangs head) "Nope, that's a felony now." (actually, likely was then, but who cared? right?)

Along with those that always "knew the score," we had great times. With those that didn't, & what the city became, lost it all.

So it goes.

So much of what is "way cool" has been innudated by those who have no idea of what it is to actually "be there." They come, & by their mere presence, ruin it forevermore.

Alas.

They continue to push the envelope further into the "boonies," & I'm still trying to leave them all behind. ;)

Belize, or Costa Rica is looking better 'n better all the time .....

Art Eatman
March 4, 2003, 10:46 AM
By 1983 I'd pretty much had it with Austintatious. For several years, with respect to the behavior of city government, it was obvious that the inmates had taken over the asylum. I voted with my feet.

I like my little hunk of desert, and the people who live here. A lot of us don't lock a door for days or weeks at a time; we don't have to. Gathering up and visiting and conversation and such is a lot better entertainment than anything Hollywood ever thought of. At least the actors' roles are real-life, not phoney...

Hard to put a bench rest on your front porch, or have a 500-yard range, if you're in the Rabbit Warren complex in Megatropolis. :)

labgrade, I'd pick Costa Rica over Belize, in a heartbeat. Less crime, friendlier gun laws, very high literacy rate. :)

Art

labgrade
March 4, 2003, 02:47 PM
Art,

Always, Bud. You have an endearing touch about you, & you & me should've met long since to hang out & chat a spell - share a camp fire - all that. Maybe soon sometime, huh?

I figure where/when ever the "THR-folk" come "to terms," & call it home, we'd have the "gun laws," etc. as we'd wish. ;) May be Arizona, Colorado (we do have the capitalisation over the most productive watershed ;) ), TX or ?

It'll come - maybe, or not.

During the summers here (winters do have their own impact = cold), we don't even close the doors (let alone lock 'em) - allows the breeze to blow through.

We neighbors chat, but mostly they want their "home-owners' road association" so that they can be locally financed to ply their hobby - I've a letter to write today expressing my disdain.

Thought we'd found a place to hang out. We did, but there's those everywhere who'd want to control anything they can touch ......

Cities?

Frankly, I'm disgusted with people as a general rule.

CZ-75
March 4, 2003, 03:34 PM
I've got something in .45 ACP you can suck. :evil: :cuss:

Original Porno spam deleted. :)

Schuey2002
March 4, 2003, 03:36 PM
LOL! Good one, CZ-75!;)

:banghead: :banghead:

Robby from Long Island
March 4, 2003, 09:40 PM
I worked in Manhattan and its surrounding boroughs for 35 years and can count on one hand the number of days I really enjoyed it.

You always hoped it would get better, but obviously it never does.

You are expected to accept the lifestyles of the thousands of lowlife scum running the streets as they're from an impoverished and underprivileged background. Which is another way of saying they prefer, practice and perfect a life of crime over an attempt at becoming law abiding members of society. With liberals running big cities today, these political wimps are all too happy to prove they have never met a criminal element they don't want to embrace.

And it's not just street crime today. It seems most white collar workers today are working for management that has no interest in anything other than bottom line. The thought of breaking the law is meaningless to them, as is so evident by the Enron's of the world.

Big cities are nothing but massive sewers and they're getting worse everyday.

As I've mentioned before, I'll be in Pennsylvania or Virginia soon and I can't wait.:)

Safe shooting.

4 eyed six shooter
March 4, 2003, 10:30 PM
I lived in San Diego for years, had to pull my .45 auto twice (attempted robbery by two gang bangers and pissed off biker that pulled a knife when I interupted him while he trying to take the tires off of my neighbors truck, all ran like the cowards they are). Many other times could have been a situation in which I would have needed to pull except I managed to avoid them. I got tired of the traffic, crime, bangers, tweekers and anti gun attitude in Calif. and moved to Idaho. As in San Diego, I have a CCW here also. After being here 3 years I sometime wonder why I still carry. Talk about night and day. Where I live there is almost no crime. People tend to respect each other and their property. I'll bet 70% of the cars on the road have a firearm in them and the crooks know it. No street bums, too cold. There are drug users, but far less than anywhere else I've lived. It was the best move I have every made.
Those of you stuck in the city, if at all possible find a place such as I have. The quality of life is so much better and I know that I will most likely add several years to my life from lack of stress.
People here fly the flag, wave to each other as they pass on the street, and when they ask you how you are, they really care to know how you are.
It takes 15 minutes to get to good Elk, Deer, and Moose hunting areas, 10 minutes to get to Trout. Ah, life is good. :D

coonan357
March 5, 2003, 01:47 AM
As I was raised in the Boonies at that time Now sw suburbs of chicago and carted off to grandparents house ( a town called hamlet Ind) during the summers and finally moved to my fathers house in Nw indiana ( rual lake county ) in my teen years ,I often wonder why I moved back to the Sw subs of chicago other than the fact I went to college here , I miss so much of my youth home . I loved the fact that I could go out and plink without getting hassled , and now having to sumit to the state a photograph for my right to own a firearm , and not being allowed to carryone on my persons ,having to put up with the stupity of the people around me , alot of people who know me know I am from the Hoosier and know I am proud of my home state , and know I want to go HOME again , but untill I get someone to buy my condo and find a job that I can keep , I have to put up with the crime and cr*p of this communistic cesspool . its funny how my father and friends tell me to get out of the place before it swallows me . I tell you one thing I won't miss the "Orange Glow" of the city when I leave .

S_O_Laban
March 5, 2003, 02:19 AM
Coonan, good luck, I know you won't regret it.

fallingblock
March 5, 2003, 04:14 AM
in the mid-70's, didn't it?:rolleyes:

Once all those 'new sunbelters' got settled in, they commenced to making changes to make Austin more like what they'd left behind:uhoh:

U.T. expanded pretty significantly around that time didn't it?

Your little patch of desert is a beauty, that's for sure; and it does seem to attract the best folks:D

It is so difficult to preserve the great spots from all the folks who want to 'improve' them. Lajitas was a worry when old Mirscher starting talking about the plans...I hope that all settled down a bit;)

Art Eatman
March 5, 2003, 10:55 AM
fallingblock, I sorta put the turning point (nationwide, not just Austin) at the time that TV political campaigning meant that a pretty-guy-nothing candidate was more electable than some ugly guy with a real track record in life. It picked up impetus during the late 1960s, and the effects really took hold in the 1970s.

Nader's security-blanket, no-risk-world notions and LBJ's do-goodism didn't help, either...

We now have a great scam/foolishness source of entertainment with this "new" Lahideous. http://www.lajitas.com keeps showing ever-bluer water and ever-greener grass: Courtesy of Photoshop. The owner bought it for $4 million; has spent $45 million on it--and has a maybe-$10 million project. And nobody's coming to his party. But the desert abides.

A lot of new folks are doing water-augmentation for wildlife, so there are some pluses to our growth. And most of the back country is still as wild as ever.

:), Art

dev_null
March 5, 2003, 12:17 PM
What I really want is something like Sedona AZ, but without the people. ("I gotcher vortex right here, pal!")

-0-

Moondancer
March 5, 2003, 12:28 PM
FWIW, I grew up and spent the first 40 years of my life outside of small towns in really rural South Central Michigan. I lived in the country until I was 35, then moved into a small town (~ 1,000 people).

Back into the country for a couple years, then onto the outskirts of a town of about 10,000. Lived there a couple years and then moved to the South Bend / Mishawaka Indiana area. Bigger town.

I now work and live weekdays in metropolitan Detroit.

I've been into handguns and martial arts since I was 18. I've lived the better part of my life in condition Yellow. That didn't matter where I was / am. Home town less than 1000, or metro Detroit with millions, still condition Yellow.

I've never been personally robbed, mugged, or accosted, although I've had items lifted from my vehicle a couple times. And that was in the smallest town I lived near. I've never been in a "for real" fight.

I have yet to be anywhere in my entire life where I was afraid to be. Cautious, yes, but that's part of living in Yellow. Afraid, no.

I know that there are places here in Detroit that I don't need to / want to go, so I don't go there. But I've went everywhere I've wanted to!

I like the country and would miss it if I couldn't go back, but I really like the city. I like the convenience, the variety, the activity. So count me in as a vote for liking the cities!

fallingblock
March 6, 2003, 07:12 AM
had dried up and blown away after it was sold. With any luck at all folks will continue to 'stay away from the party'. Making perfectly good Chihuahuan Desert into some poor imitation of a Dallas country club is just plain nuts!:rolleyes:

I believe you're correct with your assessment of the crictical 'change-over' period...L.B.J. (and he was a Texan!:( ) with his 'great society' and then the Nader effect followed by Lillian's boy Jimmy trying so to save us from ourselves just got the horse pointed down the wrong trail, so to speak.

Water augmentation would be a plus for all the critters down your way...has it been as dry in Brewster Co. as over in N.M.?
When I was at E.N.M.U., I worked on a program of "Gallinaceous Guzzlers"...little concrete igloos scattered around the Llano Estacado with a float tank inside them. We used time-lapse cameras to monitor the usage, and everything from hummingbirds to badgers to coachwhip snakes came to them for a drink. With the motion-sensitive video equipment available today, those folks doing the water augmentation would be able to get a pretty good look at what wildlife is in their area.

dev_null...If you get access to one of those vortex gizmos, I'll chip in:D

Moondancer...You've got the right idea if you're going to live in a place like Detroit. Stay in condition yellow and don't go where you don't need to be...that approach goes a long way to making anywhere a better place to hang out;)

Ebbtide
March 6, 2003, 10:11 AM
Wow, besides Moondancer, it looks like I'm the only one who likes the city. It looks like we have simular backgrounds.

However, I'm not fooling myself into thinking that living in the country consists of being a 45 minute drive from downtown. If that were the case I think am ten minutes away from the country.

Having lived 8 miles from the nearest store (to buy my milk and bread), 17 miles to the nearest medical center, 48 miles from the nearest hosptital, having 9 other homes (within an hours walk), a high school graduating class of 46 from the tri-county area, I can say I like the city/suburban life better.

ehenz

NewShooter78
March 6, 2003, 01:55 PM
I really hate city living anymore. I've spent almost my whole life in New Orleans, and can't wait to get out again. They best time I had was in college and that was in a large town (35,000 ppl) in Tennessee. I really want to get back to that kind of place or maybe smaller.

There is just as much culture anywhere you go now with the advent of the internet. Being out "in the sticks" doesn't mean that you are totally cut off from mankind! I prefer a place where people know who you are and take an interest in you personally.

I can do without the crime, and the political corruption for one. Here nothing ever gets accomplished and more and more money is being wrung from the pockets of the individual. I've been out to the country, so to speak, and like it a lot better there. I have to drive miles just to go camping, and the only ranges around here are all indoor places that for the most part suck.

Another part of living in big cities are all the damn suedo-intelectuals. I'm tired of people thinking they are just smarter because they live in a city. I know plenty of "dumb" people from the "sticks" that I would rather spend my time with.

And I too am tired of the pandhandlers, beggars, deadbeats, and thugs that are all to prevalent in metro areas. I know that some of these people are mentaly defective in one way or the other, but that doesn't mean that I should feel sorry for them or to put up with unacceptable behavior.

I can't wait until I can get the money together just to get out of dodge! As soon as I can I'll be gone and I won't look back.

Missouri Mule
March 6, 2003, 01:58 PM
Yeah and then all of the Liberals in St. Louis and Kansas City tell me I can't be trusted with a gun just because I don't live there. :fire: :cuss: :banghead: :barf:

dev_null
March 6, 2003, 02:01 PM
Hey, '78, "where y'at?"

I love NOLA, but only to visit, especially during Day of the Dead (Halloween). Live there? No thanks: too much crime, corruption, humidity, hurricanes, insane sports fans (I was there for the Final Four in '93), and so on... besides, with all that great food I'd be as big as a house in no time! :D

-0-

JerryN
March 6, 2003, 02:07 PM
I think more and more people ought to decide that they love city living. And move to one. Soon. :cool:

Just don't move to a city and then try to make laws that affect both city and country the same way. Its apples and oranges.

blades67
March 6, 2003, 02:39 PM
I enjoy living in the city, close to my favorite shops (Pistol Parlour, REI, Loper's, Home Depot, Checker, AutoZone, Blockbuster etc.), most of which are within three miles of my apartment, and work (within a mile and a half). No commute time and I save big bucks on gas.

The last time I was approached by a panhandler he "tripped" and landed face-first on the deck. I even helped him up and sent him on his way.:evil:

NewShooter78
March 6, 2003, 05:14 PM
dev_null

It's pretty crazy around here. I will admit that the food is pretty much second to none. They craziest time is, of course, during Mardi Gras. There's nothing like watching half a million tourists making fools out of themselves. The thing that ticks me off is that people see all this stuff on tv and the "Girls Gone Wild" series and think that those are locals doing that crap. It's all tourists! :eek:

Blades, I would gladly give up the convienences of all of those things and relegate it to a once weekly trip if needed just to be rid of the downsides of city living. And I wouldn't walk anywhere around here if I could absolutely get around it.

M1911
March 6, 2003, 06:34 PM
There is one advantage to northern cities that some of the southern folk don't seem to realize, which kinda surprises me. Them being hunters, they outta understand the concept of winter kill. Thins the panhandler herd.

In more friendly climates like SF, there's nothing to thin the herd.

blades67
March 6, 2003, 06:53 PM
In more friendly climates like SF, there's nothing to thin the herd.

Not while feinswine is in office.:barf:

If you enjoyed reading about "I hate cities! (Venting)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!