Bond 21 gun?

PDA

Great Scot
December 19, 2004, 08:12 PM
Has anyone heard if Bond will be carrying the P99 in the next film or if he is going to move to another weapon. I like the P99 but I always thought that he should carry something smaller. With all the full power compacts out there, he wouldn't have to go back to the PPK. Perhaps a Kahr PM9, a Rohrbaugh, or the 9mm CZ Rami. Any thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Bond 21 gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Spackler
December 19, 2004, 08:44 PM
They haven't even cast the Bond role yet, so no word on the pistol.

10-Ring
December 19, 2004, 10:05 PM
:scrutiny: Funny how the movies have become more about the gadgets & the babes more than anything else!

CAS700850
December 20, 2004, 11:03 AM
And this is a problem because...? :)

Great Scot and I have had this discussion before, in terms of what we think a real-world carry piece ought to be, versus the fictional character. I bet they keep the Walther in the film. The name has become too attached to the Bond mystique to change, unless someone pays for a little product placement. Not a bad idea, but I think it's unlikely.

As an aside, I'm pulling for one more Brosnan, or High Jackman.

cslinger
December 20, 2004, 11:07 AM
I always thought he should have carried a P7M8 but that is just me.

LynnMassGuy
December 20, 2004, 11:24 AM
Hugh Jackman or Jason Statham would work well.

otomik
December 20, 2004, 01:38 PM
the thing is the PPK was just to small to read well on film (looks like a toy), they switched to the P5 back in the early eighties (Never Say Never Again and Octopussy) without mentioning it in the film, a bigger gun works cinematically (i'm not saying he needs a "dessert beagle" or anything). I can't say for certain but the gun he has in some of the 70's films looks more like a Beretta 70 or 80 series.

anyway how about Rupert Everett and a SIG P-210 (for something more concealable how about a Beretta Tomcat or SIG P-239)

crt360
December 20, 2004, 02:54 PM
I always liked the fact that a guy with a license to kill, successfully used a .32 or whatever the little Walther was. For some time, though, I've thought he should carry a P7M8 (like cslinger said). I guess it's more gadgety and spy-like. I'd love to see him reach into his coat and pull out a Hi-point. :uhoh:

Great Scot
December 20, 2004, 06:38 PM
Otomik, your probably right that the gun has to be big enough on film to be taken seriously. I guess I was hoping for to much to wish that the character's job and his weapon should go together. The P99 always seemed a little big for under a tux. The Walther P5 compact would be a decent compromise. It would be asking way to much for him to carry an ASP.

I have heard that Clive Owen, the actor that played one of the assasins in the Bourne Identity, was scheduled to take over as Bond. He has the Timothy Dalton kind of grim appeal. I think he is pretty close to what Flemming would have envisioned as the perfect Bond. Not much humor and a lot of attitude.

cstreu1026
December 20, 2004, 07:31 PM
I watched Die Another Day for the first time a few weeks ago and I was majorly disappointed that Bond wasn't carrying a PPK. A lot of people threw a fit over him driving BMW's so they finally went back to Aston Martins. And James Bond carrying anything other than a PPK just seems wrong. I also thought it was one of the worst BOnd movies I had seen. They had gone WAY overboard on the special effects. Someone needs to put the diretors and producers of the next movie in a locked room with all the original bond movies and not let them out until they promise not to ruin a perfectly good series of movies.

Zundfolge
December 20, 2004, 08:05 PM
/me dons flame retardant suit

I'd like to see Bond carrying a Rohrbaugh

:uhoh:

:evil:

cstreu1026
December 20, 2004, 08:19 PM
Well thats better than the ugly P99.

otomik
December 20, 2004, 08:44 PM
I bet they keep the Walther in the film. The name has become too attached to the Bond mystique to change, unless someone pays for a little product placement.
This is true, Bond has shifted on his preferences a lot but not on his gun, not in the movies at least (yes there's the Beretta 418 .25acp from the novels so maybe you could get away with another Beretta).

Dom Perignon now Bollinger
Bentley to Aston Martin to Lotus to Aston to BMW to Aston
Heavy Smoking to Light Smoking to Non-Smoking to occasional mise en scene smoking of Cuban cigar

A Beretta 92/96 Compact in Stainless would be cinematically appealing and suit the character reasonably well, the main thing is to get a gun well proportioned to the actor, if we have a tall Bond around 6'2'' like Connery we need a bigger gun. Tom Cruise is pretty short 5'7'', and he used Beretta 92 Compacts in MI:2 so they would look fairly compact on someone more Bond's size.

Hugh Jackman 6'2''
Jason Stratham 5'11''
Rupert Everett 6'4''

Spackler
December 20, 2004, 09:31 PM
Rupert Everett? You have to be kidding!
Clive Owen, yes. Hugh Jackman, maybe. Rupert Everett? As Bond? No. He'd have made a good Q, but not Bond.

RRTX
December 20, 2004, 10:23 PM
I was just watching Die Another Day this past weeekend and I was suprised at one point to see Bond carrying a 4" or 6" revolver :eek:

Dr.Rob
December 20, 2004, 10:54 PM
True in the books Bond used a Beretta for "years" before Major Boothroyd gives him the PPK. It's been Walthers ever since.

Supposedly Walthers were retired from real 'service' in the mid 70s. Apparently some security MI-5 types etc. used them.

It has to be a Walther.

Hammer-Ed
December 21, 2004, 12:14 AM
Personally I think he should be issued the new Beretta PX4.

Can't be anything without style. No Smiths, Sigs or, Gawd forbid, Glocks.

You see that movie Johnny English with Rowen Atkinson? Beretta 92FS and I almost peed myself laughing at that guy. He's the greatest.

Zundfolge
December 21, 2004, 12:46 AM
IIRC the BHP is still the standard sidearm of the British Army and the SAS carry Sig 226s .... maybe Agricola could verify this.

I'd think that Bond, however, could carry whatever he wanted ... since the PPK is such a Bond tradition, I guess a P99 or P5 make the most sense (like the entire concept of a 00 agent makes sense :neener: )

Dionysusigma
December 21, 2004, 01:15 AM
What about...

http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/guns_525px/fn_hg_fiveseven.gif
The FN Five-SeveN? (http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/hg_fiveseven.htm) :scrutiny:

http://www.hkpro.com/socomproto.jpg
The Hk Mk.23 SOCOM? (http://www.hkpro.com/socom.htm) :eek:

http://www.cz-usa.com/product.img/40.jpg
The CZ-83? (http://www.cz-usa.com/product.detail.php?id=40) :uhoh:

Or...

http://www.sigarms.com/apps/cmt/img/p232-large.jpg
The Sig P232? (http://www.sigarms.com/products/classicpersonalsize-models.asp?product_id=42#) :cool:

otomik
December 21, 2004, 02:47 AM
Rupert Everett? You have to be kidding!:confused: he's been mentioned before as a possibility, there was some stink about whether or not he was going to play a "gay james bond", but i think was a joke that got carried away. from a recent interview related to Shrek 2:
What ever happened to your gay James Bond project? No, I'd like to play James Bond straight.
Well, it’s in flux now, so you should go for it. They would burn down MGM if they got a gay actor to play James Bond.
So that was a misunderstanding about a gay Bond project? No, it wasn't. That never happened.have you seen Cemetary Man? he's perfect for the role physically and can do the snobby thing better than rough Stratham could (i'm coming at this from the perspective of someone that read the novels so YMMV).

slightly larger than the PPK, the SIG-P232 would be great esp the stainless, maybe they could cook up some kind of Fleming detail to give it some extra Bond flair (Titanium frame, rare 9mm Police chambering, etc). heck maybe they could do one of their special rainbow titanium finishes in case Rupert Everett wants to play a gay james bond ;)
http://www.sigarms.com/apps/cmt/img/p239-rainbow-titanium-large.jpg

Spackler
December 21, 2004, 11:36 AM
Rupert Everett is too "Roger Moore" for me. Then again, Clive Owen may be too "Timothy Dalton". He always had that look on his face like he was trying to solve a math problem in his head.

For Bond's pistol, I like the P99.

mbs357
December 21, 2004, 11:54 AM
I watch Bond movies for the guns.
The women and plot just get in my way.
As for his gun...I reccomend the VP-70! Just cause it's cool. Put a more sensitive trigger on it, the stock, and you've got one bad pistola.

Clean97GTI
December 21, 2004, 01:36 PM
The gun should really fit the actor. Big actor, big gun.

My choice is still Brosnan. Anthony Hokins was able to pull off "Red Dragon" and look at how old he was when he did that (no offense to elderly members on THR). A possibility might be Colin Farrell, but I doubt it. What about Orlando Bloom, or is he too young? As for the next female lead, Keira Knightly or Liv Tyler would be awesome.
The car should be of pure blood. BMW is fine with me. Aston is owned by Ford :barf:

The gun should be the Walther P99 without S&W import marks. I think a USPc could also be a good choice.

Zundfolge
December 21, 2004, 01:58 PM
Mk 23 SOCOM?!

He's James Bond, not Solid Snake :p

NMshooter
December 21, 2004, 04:26 PM
I feel strangely compelled to post: Browning Hi-Power. :)

SoCalGeek
December 21, 2004, 06:03 PM
I don't remember where, but I heard a rumor that they were considering the Rohrbaugh. Personally, I think a 232 would look really friggin cool, but it might be considered inadequate. I kinda like the idea of a Para LDA- maybe a Carry 12? Just a thought...

cstreu1026
December 21, 2004, 06:14 PM
I don't think any form of 1911 would look right. I love the 1911 I just bought but I just don't think it has the right look.

The_Shootist
December 21, 2004, 09:08 PM
My vote goes to the Kel-Tec P-32 :neener:

carebear
December 21, 2004, 09:56 PM
Can't be a 1911 or anything American.

Now, being an American old school agent, Felix Leiter could/should have gone the direct, efficient S&W / 1911 route. But they went and jumped (into) the shark with poor Felix. :evil:

Bond is more Continental, he has to be smoothly dangerous, Euro all the way.

Sean85746
December 21, 2004, 11:32 PM
When "M"gave James a Smith & Wesson J Frame saying..."For extra stopping power here is the Smith & Wesson snub nose in POINT THREE EIGHT SPECIAL caliber...it hits like a brick..."

I think Ole Jimmy ought to carry a Browning Hi Power like the "Chaps from Hereford" carried for so long. Maybe a Hi Power Practical.

Any dissenters?

Let's face it, were I a double-naught spy...I'd carry one... :neener: :what:

CAS700850
December 23, 2004, 12:39 AM
IIRC, in "Die Another Day", he borrows the Smith revolver from a Cuban sleeper agent, which makes perfect sense. If you borrowed a gun from someone you really didn't know, with possibly questionable ammo, and withot the ability to test fire it quite a bit, wouldn't you want a revolver? I would. you can function check a revolver without firing a shot, and be sure it would do its part. And, if you get click instead of bang, pull the trigger again.

The Rohrbaugh may be a good choice, but as was pointed out earlier, it may be too small for film, practical though it may be. No, I expect to see the Walther again, most likely the P99. Personally, if it was me, I'd take the BHP as well.

Pylon
December 23, 2004, 05:50 AM
As long as he uses anything other then a Desert Eagle. I know i'm not the only one that is sick of seeing this disproportionately large gun in movies with actors that look just plain goofy with them.

Other then that, i would love to see Bond with a Sig P232, although i think the Walther P99 is still sexy in its own regard and i would have no problem with him sticking with that.

I seriously doubt Bond would ever carry anything American though. Just the general trend i've picked up from all the bond movies.

nero45acp
December 23, 2004, 09:08 AM
Another vote the P7M8

OR

Steyr M9

OR

Vector CP-1

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg54-e.htm

(I know that this is a defunct and unsafe pistol, but we are talking about a fictional character/series, and the CP-1 has a very secret agent look.)

nero

Newton
December 24, 2004, 12:04 AM
Christian Bale would be perfect if he hadn't already landed the Batman role.

The gun has to be a H&K P2000SK in 9mm.

Newton

Clean97GTI
December 24, 2004, 03:34 AM
They could pay tribute to Dr. No and the Beretta he loved so much.

Use a Beretta 9000S. The DAO pistol would appear clean on film and would fit almost any actor fairly well. It is small enough to fit in a tux and packs more "stopping power" than the PPK that was forced upon him.

He could show a little British humor and whip out a Webley.

Great Scot
December 24, 2004, 12:32 PM
The Beretta 9000 might be a good canidate for all the wrong reasons. It looks really exotic and european. It has already had a little movie exposure (Minority Report) and it harkens back to the first Bond film when he was told to give up his Beretta 418 for the more powerful PPK.

That said, I am not a big fan of the 9000. I had the 9mm version briefly and had nothing but trouble with it. The ergonomics were just okay, and it was not reliable. I was also hoping that the controls would loosen up after some reasonable amount of shooting, and that didn't happen. Just some thoughts.

I agree with cas700850 that it was nice to see Bond using a revolver. It appears that he can use whatever tool is available. Happy holidays everyone.

Lofland
December 25, 2004, 11:47 PM
A Korth semiauto would make a good Bond villain's gun. They cost $4,000 plus each. Can't get much more exotic than that. You can find pics at www.korthusa.com.

danbh
December 26, 2004, 04:24 AM
It was my understanding that there was a rif between Walther and England about the use of the pistol on both sides. THe use of the pistol in the Movie was not authorized by Walther, and selling the the P99 Bond edition was not authorized by the British government... I don't think that they will be using a Walther in the next movie.....But maybe there is new info.... :)

Lofland
December 26, 2004, 11:13 AM
Why would a P99 Bond edition have to be authorized by the British government, as opposed to the owners of the rights to the Bond name or the movie producers?

Newton
December 26, 2004, 10:10 PM
I don't think the North Pole authorized the sale of "Santa Cookies" either ;)

Newton

River Wraith
December 27, 2004, 12:36 AM
I like Brosnan, think he's the best Bond ever. I like the P-99 as his weapon as well. We NEED Brosnan to do just one more movie. He's the best.

gazpacho
December 27, 2004, 08:53 PM
I would think the Kahr PM-9 would be ideal.

My vote would be for a Walther PP chambered in .25NAA, then write in some mumbo-jumbo about high-explosive armor-piercing bullets. The bottleneck cartridges would look cool on film, and the slightly larger PP would look better too.

Oh, and the exploding bad guys would be pretty wicked too. :evil:

dsk
December 28, 2004, 02:39 AM
I don't think any form of 1911 would look right. I love the 1911 I just bought but I just don't think it has the right look.

He sure used a 1911 a lot in The World is Not Enough however, didn't he?

The true James Bond should always be carrying an ultra-compact handgun. Just how he manages to conceal a full-sized P99 under his well-fit suits is beyond me. The true James Bond is supposed to be a skilled assassin and an expert marksman, meaning a silenced PPK should be ideal for 99% of his missions (and the bad guy's AK is perfect for the other 1% after he takes it away from him). I agree with an earlier poster though, if it's not a PPK it should be an HK P7M8.

Too many of the recent films have cast Bond not as a stealthy operative, but as a British Rambo. That's what's wrong with the last crop of movies IMHO.

Jeff
December 28, 2004, 09:03 PM
Billy Bob Thornton should play the next Bond. And his sidearm should be a Thompson Center Contender fitted with a Leupold 4x scope and chambered for .45-70.

"My name's Bond....Jimmy James Earl Bond."

If you enjoyed reading about "Bond 21 gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!