My Bedroom In Alaska

PDA

Cosmoline
December 20, 2004, 01:21 AM
Believe me, this is high living for the extreme north. I hear tell Wildalaska still sleeps rough in Spenard.

http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=19628

If you enjoyed reading about "My Bedroom In Alaska" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BamBam-31
December 20, 2004, 01:23 AM
Handguard?

Cosmoline
December 20, 2004, 01:27 AM
Mods--on second thought my bedroom may not be sufficiently gun related to be here. Feel free to move to Roundtable :D

Tamara
December 20, 2004, 01:46 AM
Bedrooms can too be gun-related, even if they're not in Alaska... :D

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9257

RevDisk
December 20, 2004, 01:50 AM
Tamara, what's the make and model of the third rifle from the left? Buttstock and mag looks like AR15, but with a weird upper.

P95Carry
December 20, 2004, 01:57 AM
I see guns ... well Cosmo - a nice Naggant.

What I also see is (an apparent) serious lack of insulation!!! Is that so? Cos if anything I have been told is correct, you guys get some REAL low temperatures right now!

BamBam-31
December 20, 2004, 02:11 AM
Fnc?

Kevlarman
December 20, 2004, 02:16 AM
Yeah, looks like he's sleeping inside a shipping container.
And were you eating cookies in bed!?
:neener:

mnrivrat
December 20, 2004, 02:28 AM
Looks tight and dry to me ! A snow cover outside for insulation if that's an exterior wall , a pinup poster of your favorite vargas on the wall and your set to go . Have a good winter !

Ps: A little jerky to go with them crackers, and bit of peppermint snapps might make a nice midnight snack ! :D

reagansquad
December 20, 2004, 04:53 AM
Tamara,

You like the military style ones, don't you...? ;) lol

wasrjoe
December 20, 2004, 05:34 AM
Tamara, what's the make and model of the third rifle from the left? Buttstock and mag looks like AR15, but with a weird upper.

Looks like a G3A4 copy of some sort.

Edit: Oops, looks like I was looking at the wrong one. This is right, this is left... I think it's a .223 FAL.

Nightfall
December 20, 2004, 10:54 AM
I really can't think of a way to say this without it coming across completely wrong, but I wanna be in Tam's bedroom! :)

Preacherman
December 20, 2004, 11:12 AM
Nightfall, I really can't think of a way to say this without it coming across completely wrong, but I've been in Tam's bedroom!

:evil:

(On the other hand, so have most of her friends, including half the moderators on this site... :D )

sm
December 20, 2004, 11:25 AM
Cosmo,
Reminds me of a hunting cabin or two I've stayed in. I at least had a Franklin or Pot Bellied Stove...

Tamara's Bedroom generates its own heat I see.

You numbskulls want to run around and clear a house?

I'd rather be holed up in Tamera's Bedroom waiting for the po-po too.

<Call to 911 operator>

Tamera-" I have someone in my house, I'm in fear and I am armed"

Operator- "Could you clarify the problem?

Tamera - " Well - I can't make up my mind which gun to use..."

;)

williamcrane
December 20, 2004, 11:31 AM
Nightfall said "I really can't think of a way to say this without it coming across completely wrong, but I wanna be in Tam's bedroom!"

I don't care if it does come across wrong - me too!
:rolleyes:

jamz
December 20, 2004, 11:58 AM
Wait a sec... you shot a bird with a 7.62x54r? And there is still some bird left?

Tamara
December 20, 2004, 12:06 PM
I am freezing my tuchas off just looking at that pic of Cosmoline's digs. Please tell me that there's, like, ten feet of insulation on the other side of that sheet metal. :uhoh:

'Kinda birds did you shoot, there?

41mag
December 20, 2004, 12:09 PM
I can't resist!

Cosmoline?Have you ever,just for fun,licked that wall in the winter time?
Or even stuck your cheek up near it?

spacemanspiff
December 20, 2004, 01:30 PM
theres probably like a wall of propane heaters we can't see in the pic.

we should do a coffee table book: The Bedrooms of Alaska and the Asshats That Occupy Them. :p

charby
December 20, 2004, 01:41 PM
Please tell me you didn't shoot mr ruff with that rifle?

I double dog dare you to lick those sheetmetal walls.

Charby

Cosmoline
December 20, 2004, 02:41 PM
Nope, no insulation, but I do have blueboard underneath. I've also resisted using a heater in there so far. The trick is my patent "Susitna Bed," which is a complex array of blue board, foam pads, and about eight wool army blankets arranged not unlike a spacesuit's layers. Once secured in the bed, I can cope with temps down to fifteen below zero before bailing out and running for the heated trailer. With the addition of wolf or caribou blankets I suspect I could take that down to -25, but there's only so much wool can do. I'm writing an article about it for "Backwoods Home."

St. Herman of Alaska made do with a wooden plank as his blanket, and slept in a cave. So I'm a nancy boy by comparison. :D

Also, those grouse were taken with my CZ 452. But I have taken ptarmigan with the Mosin using FMJ rounds. They're not nearly as destructive as you might suppose, and anchor them down well. I've had big ptarmigan in particular take multiple .22 hits and still keep flying off, though the grouse go down easier.

Cosmoline
December 20, 2004, 02:44 PM
Also, that's genuine Sailor Boy brand pilot bread, not mere crackers. It's ubiquitous in rural Alaska, and can be used as insulation or building material in a pinch.

Ktulu
December 20, 2004, 03:09 PM
At the risk of sounding like a fruitcake...I got to say...I'm a little envious.

While I certainly enjoy the relative comfort of my own bedroom, the implied remoteness of yours does have a certain appeal.

Boats
December 20, 2004, 03:36 PM
Brrrr. Maybe Cosmoline should take to wearing his namesake? :D

Cosmoline
December 20, 2004, 03:43 PM
The trick is to stop cleaning or taking showers. The dirt and grease builds up until you are completely waterproof.

But for some reason, everyone keeps avoiding me since I started doing this.

Zundfolge
December 20, 2004, 04:49 PM
God I love this place ... Tamara shows us a photo of her boudoir and nobody cares that its not pink and there are no lacy "unmentionables" lying about :p

What a buncha gun geeks we is.

Cosmoline
December 20, 2004, 04:51 PM
I'm apparently not the first person to think of using a Mosin with FMJ bullets for upland game:

http://www.kevos4.com/images/bird%20hunting%201.jpg

charby
December 20, 2004, 05:14 PM
This might make a better bedroom? :neener:

http://roselli.org/tour/01_2001/127.html

Once I get settled into my new place maybe we need to have a thread that shows gun orientated, I mean gun nut's no wait... guns enthusist's bachelor/bachelorettes pads.

Charby

Cosmoline
December 20, 2004, 05:17 PM
I want a bunker like that on the compound! Sadly the water table is just five feet down.

charby
December 20, 2004, 05:25 PM
I am moving into a place that a couple of my friends have referred to as the "hobbit hole". To make a long story short its the cook's basement apartment of an old fraternity house built in the 1920's.

Those houses are built like like the old brick and concret dormitories. Moving there due to circumstances beyound my control and its a place that is ready now and cheap (and I get to keep my doggie)

But that bunker would kick major butt but I wonder how to keep the humidity from rusting my blued firearms.

Charby

Feanaro
December 20, 2004, 05:28 PM
My mother has always wanted to move to Alaska. Now I have evidence that proves she is crazy. I live in relative luxury compared to poor Cosmo. :D

R.H. Lee
December 20, 2004, 05:34 PM
The more I learn about Alaskans, the more I think to myself "ya buncha sick, twisted freaks" :neener:

Cosmoline
December 20, 2004, 05:50 PM
Sick and twisted?! Why you tell me what could be better than having grouse hanging close at hand while watching a DVD. You can grab some pilot bread, rip off a piece of raw bird, and have yourself a fine meal right there.

Okiecruffler
December 20, 2004, 06:08 PM
I was offered a job at the Children's Hospital in Providence, but I couldn't talk the wife into it. She said we'd end up living in, well a place alot like your's. And she seemed to think that was a bad thing. Women :rolleyes:

TrapperReady
December 20, 2004, 06:29 PM
And guys in Alaska wonder why there is such a low percentage of women in the state. I bet you get a good night's sleep anytime a heavy rainstorm hits.

BTW, most of the ice-fishing sheds around here would put that place to shame. :)

Wildalaska
December 20, 2004, 06:35 PM
The guys living in a Conex and thinking about me :what:

WildarmmyselfAlaska

Matt G
December 20, 2004, 06:47 PM
. . . so we have to be a bit more careful about what we leave lying around.

But still close at hand lies a box. Who knows what lies in the hearts of evil black boxes? ? ?

Only The Shadow knows! :D Mwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=19647

countertop
December 20, 2004, 06:52 PM
Who knows what lies in the hearts of evil black boxes? ? ?

Who cares whats in the box. . . . I want to know what the heck is an accordian crime? Do you force people to listen to polka till they die of insanity????

armoredman
December 20, 2004, 06:54 PM
You mean there IS someone in Alaska who likes Mosins? COOL! Or in your case, cooooooold......It's a chilly 68 down here today.....wearing the long sleeves, and jacket later....

nitesite
December 20, 2004, 07:08 PM
Matt G,

Them fingertip touch-code lockboxes are very nice,

but yours looks like a 1920s toaster in that picture:rolleyes:

1911Ron
December 20, 2004, 07:08 PM
Shoot that ain't primative they's got shelves on the wall and hangy things for guns and such :D :D

Sindawe
December 20, 2004, 07:22 PM
That looks COLD Cosmoline!!! Colder than even I like (been know to keep the windows open in winter, much to the consternation of guests and cats).

I suppose yuu folks in Alaska know of one Mr. Dick Proenneke. Went up to Alaska in his mid 40s (as far as I can figure), built his cabin by hand, and lived there for 35 some years, by himself. :eek: I just learned of his adventure a few weeks ago. Wow!

spartacus2002
December 20, 2004, 08:40 PM
Quick war story involving dealing with cold...

when I was stationed at Fort Polk, LA, I had a job that required me to live in the back of a Humvee for 2 weeks at a time. Canvas-top Humvees are not known for their insulation, and yes it can get relatively cold in Louisiana (20F high one December -- not cold compared to Alaska, but still unpleasant if outdoors.).

So, I took 4 extra feet of heater vent hose to the field once, hooked one end to the heater vent, stuck the other end in my rubberized sleeping bag cover.

Then, I made a huge loop of 550 cord running thru the interior of the Humvee, tied to the ignition switch.

If i woke up freezing cold, just reach out, give the rope a tug, wait for the orange glow-plug light to go out, then yank it hard till the engine catches. After about 20 minutes, the hot air heats up the sleeping bag, and I tug the rope the other way to cut it off.

Cosmoline
December 20, 2004, 08:44 PM
I gotta keep warm somehow, Wild boy.

Standing Wolf
December 20, 2004, 09:22 PM
No gold star for making your bed bright and early in the morning.

Wildalaska
December 20, 2004, 09:39 PM
I gotta keep warm somehow, Wild boy.

Whoa there Pilgrim, Im married and hetero (guess sometimes ya cant be both in todays modern world)...

Why dont ya dream of Spiffy or Carebear for Petes sakes...or even better I can fix you up with Niels at Gunrunners....hes kinda hot.... :what: :neener:

WildmyheartbelongstotamaraAlaska

seeker_two
December 20, 2004, 10:24 PM
Pretty nice, Cosmo. I thought you Alaskans just stretched a bear skin b/t two moose antlers & made a furry hammock... :D

And Tamara wins the "Most Fun You Can Have With Your Clothes On In A Gal's Bedroom" award w/ her beautiful rack.....

(...of rifles, of course. ;) )

GD
December 20, 2004, 10:37 PM
You've got me curious now. That rifle looks to be a Finnish M91. What variation is it? Tikka? VKT? capture? I can't think of a better place for a Finnish rifle, other than in Finland.

Cosmoline
December 20, 2004, 10:39 PM
The thought of your iron keeps me warm. :neener:

And you only like her because she's got bigger guns.

tex_n_cal
December 21, 2004, 12:42 AM
I was going to comment about last night's 14 deg low in North Carolina, but then I was stunned to realize that I have a more foo-foo bedroom than Tamara. At least there is a cocked and locked 10mm resident, else I'd feel really foofy. :(

SteelyDan
December 21, 2004, 01:48 AM
Cosmo, somebody's got to say it, that's a nasty uninsulated bedroom, grouse and crackers notwithstanding. Now, if it was all I had, I'd find a way to like it, too, and I commend you for thinking positively. But seriously, for $200 you could add some insulation and a space heater and then you'd have, well, a real bedroom. The hanging birds might not last quite as long, but you can always throw them outside.

Ol' Badger
December 21, 2004, 01:01 PM
Hehe
:evil:

R.H. Lee
December 21, 2004, 01:36 PM
Tamara-are you a southpaw? You've got those pistols laying on their right sides. :scrutiny:

Cosmoline
December 21, 2004, 02:04 PM
That guy looks like my neighbor. I'm headed that direction, I'm sure.

The problem with a space heater is it draws down too much power from the honda. A kerosene heater makes it hard to breath and costs $$ to keep fueled. Yes, insulation would be nice. But Alaska isn't about what's nice. I'm saving the blueboard for some new construction in the spring and don't want to waste it on the shed. :neener:

Darkmind
December 21, 2004, 02:19 PM
So, I took 4 extra feet of heater vent hose to the field once, hooked one end to the heater vent, stuck the other end in my rubberized sleeping bag cover.

LOL i used to do that all the time, used to take the vent hose and stuff it behind my second chance vest when i was standing gunner in the middle of winter for 12 hours at a time.

LynnKCircle
December 21, 2004, 05:51 PM
To Cosmoline -- I like the fact that the rifle is a Mosin. M39, right? Those old Ruskies made some great bolt action small arms, didn't they?

If you enjoyed reading about "My Bedroom In Alaska" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!