lee dies with speer bullets question

PDA

mrapathy2000
December 20, 2004, 03:57 PM
new to loading using a Lee single stage and speed dies for 9mm. for the moment just sizing and depriming have heard the speed dies are not great for seating. plan on getting a deluxe die set but for now the speed die is convenient for single stage. wish they had one in 40S&W/10mm.

anyway noticed in a box Speer advises that speer bullets should not be used with certain lee dies. all other brands work great.

sure is nice they keep it vague with nothing specific. if I start loading with this setup should I avoid speer bullets. whats the deal with speer bullets and lee dies?

thats all, having fun sizing and depriming for now.

If you enjoyed reading about "lee dies with speer bullets question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Wil Terry
December 20, 2004, 05:18 PM
Are all parts of the same company, ATK.
There is no love lost between LEE and RCBS at all!!!

rbernie
December 20, 2004, 09:27 PM
From the Lee web site:

"Speer Warning on Factory Crimp die

A few years back Speer ran some advertisements on the Factory crimp die, making claims that it destroyed accuracy, ruined bullets, etc. No other bullet manufacturer has a problem with it (Hawk bullet Co. recommends its use) so we included the warning in our instructions.

There is no safety issue in using Speer bullets in conjunction with the Factory Crimp Die."

dodgestdshift
December 22, 2004, 08:01 PM
I have used the speer bullets with the lee factory crimp die, for many years with no problems and good results. I think both companies are acting like spoiled children.

Black Snowman
December 22, 2004, 08:39 PM
First I've heard of it. I know RCBS likes to sell lots of profiled bullet seating plugs so that might be part of the impetus. My Lee pistol dies have a curved cup style bullet seater which can lead to variations in OAL with bullets with an inconsistant profile, but I find it actually helps feed reliability in my autos with cheap bullets if I set the die where it likes it and let the COL vary.

I guess what really matters are the end results, but I can't imagine what the fuss would be. I know my FCD was hurting my accuracy in my .40 loads so I backed it off so the carbide band just takes out the bell. If Speer got a boat load of complaints and narrowed it down to the Lee FCD being the common theme then maybe that's what prompted the statement. Hard to know.

Try it before you spend any extra money and see what happens. IMHO, don't go buying stuff without trying what you've got 1st. :)

Jim Watson
December 22, 2004, 09:09 PM
Lee is not being real straighforward about it themselves.
The original ad wars were over the Lee Factory Crimp die in RIFLE calibres. It closes a collet on the case mouth and if the bullet does not have a cannelure to crimp into, it strikes hard enough to MAKE one. Lee said that helped accuracy, Speer said it hurt it. I don't shoot many Speers but I'm sure not going to bend my Sierras, thank you, Mr Lee.

Not the same as the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die in pistol calilbres, which is just a taper crimp once you have gotten past the sizing ring. Which seldom does anything over a jacketed bullet anyhow.

If you enjoyed reading about "lee dies with speer bullets question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!