Russian police lost 200,000 Weapons

PDA

ALS
December 21, 2004, 05:50 PM
Russian Police Lost 200,000 Weapons in 13 Years
Created: 21.12.2004 22:21 MSK (GMT +3), Updated: 17:23 MSK, 7 hours 21 minutes ago

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2004/12/21/weapons.shtml

MosNews

Nearly 200,000 weapons have been misplaced or stolen as of the end of 2004, an Interior Ministry official announced Tuesday, hinting at a troubling trend in the nation’s police force regularly accused of corruption and arbitrariness.

As of December, 178,344 weapons are registered as missing, Alexander Trudov, the head of the Russian police investigation department was quoted by the Russian Information Agency Novosti as saying.

In 1991, there were only 951 missing firearms, which means that Russian police lost about 177,000 firearms over 13 years — a number that includes not just firearms, but military equipment and other articles.

The missing weapons were either lost or stolen, Trudov said, however there is also a likelihood many of them were sold off illegally by underpaid officers.

The international community has expressed concern about weapons security in Russia, where poorly-guarded nuclear arsenals are the biggest worry.

If you enjoyed reading about "Russian police lost 200,000 Weapons" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.H. Lee
December 21, 2004, 05:52 PM
heh. At least they know what's missing. The U.S. gov has no clue.

NMshooter
December 21, 2004, 05:54 PM
Why couldn't one of them misplace an AKS-74U here? Would that be too much to ask for?

:neener:

LAR-15
December 21, 2004, 05:56 PM
I believe the FBI has some missing MP-5s.

RavenVT100
December 21, 2004, 06:06 PM
Lost? Sure. "Sold" seems more likely.

Rebar
December 21, 2004, 06:12 PM
I'd be interested in the types of weapons. Are these all AKs, or various Mosin-Nagant rifles, Nagant/Tokerev handguns also? The Russians never seem able to throw guns away, the missing weapons could include a significant number of "obsolete" stuff.

PMDW
December 21, 2004, 06:33 PM
I believe the FBI has some missing MP-5s.

From what I've heard, so does the ATF.

Also, there's no dash in "MP5" :)

Standing Wolf
December 21, 2004, 07:16 PM
Sounds like a curios and relics problem to me.

Andrew Rothman
December 21, 2004, 08:47 PM
The missing weapons were either lost or stolen, Trudov said, however there is also a likelihood many of them were sold off illegally by underpaid officers.

Or, in other words, "stolen."

:rolleyes:

Arc-Lite
December 21, 2004, 08:55 PM
Russia, has a growing number of major "mobs" in all the major and most of the minor cities... saying they "lost" 200,000 weapons, means in Russian, we lost 2,000,000 !!!The home of the AK, easy to make, and keeps on tickin !!! Arc-Lite

Nightfall
December 22, 2004, 10:54 AM
200,000 firearms missing over 13 years? Hmmm... exactly how long did Oleg live in Russia? :D ;)

S Roper
December 22, 2004, 12:31 PM
I'm not surprised. If you've ever been to a flea market over there you will find all sorts of military equipment being sold in the open. I was with my friend when he acquired a MiG 25 pilot's helmet for a fraction of what they go for here. A lot of it is probably obsolete stuff that won't be missed.

armoredman
December 22, 2004, 01:23 PM
I still wanna look in Stalin's parking garages, to see what's left over from WWII. I'll bet some of that can be "lost", too! :p
Every government loses weapons, one way or another, and the more disorganized the government, the more theft and "misplacement" of various items, from pens to main battle tanks.....

Arc-Lite
December 22, 2004, 03:00 PM
the true concern, is not 200,000 or 2,ooo,ooo weapons being lost, it is the 67 suit case size nukes, like in BOOOOOOOMMMM that are still un-accounted for, Merry Christmas...to all...and to all a good night. Arc-Lite

El Tejon
December 22, 2004, 03:36 PM
In the early '90s the Armenian mafia was driving them off by the truckload. I wonder who is dealing guns now? Maybe just individual officers selling them to prevent starvation?

Wonder if Mr. Wolf knows from his connections?

armored, they did not lose them. They kept them--everything. Large warehouses full of battlefield pickups during Great Patriotic War. (Went to grad skul with a couple of refusniks who were conscripted into labour battalions and sent East to build/maintain these places. Both survived dedyushka and emiigrated to Chicago).

Turkey Creek
December 22, 2004, 04:02 PM
OK I'll fess up- I won the lottery several years ago and by chance a couple of days later, a neighbor who I will only ID by his first name, which is Yuri, stopped by and made me an offer I couldn't refuse- now Yuri knew I collected military small arms, and in a round about way he said he knew where "a few" might be had for the right price- he told me he still had some relatives in the "Motherland" that might be persuaded for a certain "consideration" to obtain for me some nice examples of his country's former "utilities of defense"- well one thing lead to another and I got hooked and couldn't stop- I found an isolated cave to store things in, put in modern convienences and began to fill it up- now Yuri is somewhere in the Carribean and I haven't heard from him in a while so I guess my "source" has dried up- but who knows, Yuri is a very resourceful type of fellow so I may still hear from him again- really no matter because I figure it will take me the rest of my lifetime to examine and catalogue what he "found" for me- name and address with held upon request! :neener:

Kharn
December 22, 2004, 04:42 PM
Hey buddy, yeah, you. Want to buy a Russian police-marked Kalashnikov? I can do group buys if you want, I've got 200,000 of them. :neener:

Kharn

If you enjoyed reading about "Russian police lost 200,000 Weapons" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!