Get around web filter at work?

PDA

ilmonster
December 21, 2004, 09:02 PM
Recently our IT dept. at work must have clicked on a web filter for "message boards" (we use Websense), so I can no longer check in on The High Road for a few minutes at work. Any of you computer savvy folks know a way to get around this??? Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Get around web filter at work?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cvela
December 21, 2004, 09:13 PM
use a "public proxy" in IE under tools, internet options, connections, lan settings. check "use proxy server, and bypass proxy..." install a proxy server and port and there you have it. just google them.

admar2
December 21, 2004, 09:18 PM
here's an idea, maybe you should just be "working" while at work.

nothing too exciting is gonna happen on here that you can't catch up on when you get home.

:evil:

Brigrat
December 21, 2004, 09:18 PM
My guess is, if they are smart enough to use websense (like my compnay is), then they are smart enough to not allow you to change server settings, or use proxies. I bring my laptop with me, and use my phone line to dial up when websense hinders my browsing. Works well!

Kruzr
December 21, 2004, 09:19 PM
Try this,
Go to the page:
babelfish.altavista.com/
Put the website name you want to go to in the website translation blank. Select any language and have it translated to english, like spanish to english near the bottom of the pull down list (avoid chinese, it will try to translate and be slow) and it will bring up the page in english.
The IT dept. will still see altavista. I don't know if you will be able to post a reply but you can try it.
If you click on the "View in original language", it opens a new window direct to the link so it will be blocked.

Stand_Watie
December 21, 2004, 09:39 PM
use a "public proxy" in IE under tools, internet options, connections, lan settings. check "use proxy server, and bypass proxy..." install a proxy server and port and there you have it. just google them

That right there might do it.

Now if your company has a policy against bypassing their security it might well cost you your job. I would suggest carefully reading your companies internet usage policy and discussing it with one of the IT guys before doing so.

RickH
December 22, 2004, 12:56 AM
Bribe the IT guy/gal.

Parker Dean
December 22, 2004, 01:33 AM
Bribe the IT guy/gal.

Naah. Better to use their own methods against them.

Blackmail :D

BLiTzNicK
December 23, 2004, 09:54 AM
If your IT department understands web-filters, babelfish and other "web proxies" are going to be blocked. If they've thought ahead a little bit, they've also filtered all web traffic through their proxy server, and shut down outside access to anything but the proxy via the router. Surely they've locked down proxy settings.

They've probably got private IPs, which they also filter. You should probably just "work" when you go to work.

I wouldn't lock down anything if it were me, but I'm sure they've got their reasons. Probably too much bandwith used up for recreational surfing.

Good Luck. :D

sturmruger
December 23, 2004, 11:03 AM
You know what is funny my company has Websense but THR is allowed. GT and some of the other boards are blocked because they are in the "Weapons" category, but not THR. I guess I am just lucky.

Slimjim
December 23, 2004, 12:25 PM
www.jobrelatedstuff.com Gets you into Arfcom.

waktasz
December 23, 2004, 12:55 PM
I have the same issue at work (we also use websense) so I use remote desktop to terminal into my home machine and view the internet through that...it's fairly slow for view images but the message boards work great.

Hazwaste
December 23, 2004, 11:27 PM
I'm an I.T. manager for a large petrochemicals company. We use SurfControl on an MS ISA server. We also block ALL IP traffic to/from the Internet T-1 exept for the proxy. On top of that, we set the proxy settings in IE via group policies. We also use a number of tools to monitor network traffic, so even if it were possible to bypass the proxy (which it is not), we have the capability to detect rogue traffic. We are not, however, blocking weapons sites for some odd reason. :D

Try to change the settings all you want. If your IT dept is even somewhat good, you're going to have a devil of a time going out their Internet connection.

My advice is to wait until you get home, especially if your company has an appropriate use policy.

Vodka7
December 23, 2004, 11:58 PM
You could subscribe to the threads you're interested in while at home, and select "send daily updates by email." I don't know when these updates get emailed, or what your company's policy is on email, but it's one idea that won't scream "I am trying to get around your filters" to the IT department.

Also, there are about a million message boards out there, maybe you could find one that's pertinent to what you do at work and tell your IT guys that you can no longer visit it. They might just open up that specific site, but they could also turn off the anti-board feature for everything, or bump you into a different user group that's allowed to visit boards.

I don't know anything about Websense or what type of user-rights you have on your machine, but if you have read/write/execute priviledges on your own directories, you can install Firefox from the zip (ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0/win32/en-US/Firefox%201.0.zip), and then try this zip (http://www.iamaphex.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=getit&lid=66) with OpenSSL, Privoxy, and Tor. You can search for setup directions from an older post of mine, or read the docs for yourself at http://tor.freehaven.net/.

why_me
December 24, 2004, 07:35 AM
Your job is more important than surfing. And even if you did your company has a legal right to monitor everything you do. So if you do get thru you can get fired for inappropiate use of company property.

DragonRider
December 24, 2004, 10:31 AM
I tend to agree with WhyMe, but at the same time I don't. At the school I work at I they have a SonicWall installed. Stops most things, including webmail, which isn't always a good thing. Being a computer teacher, I need to get online sometimes to find information that is normally stopped by the SonicWall.

I resorted to using Hopster for my wife and myself. The basic plan is 4 dollars a month and is useful for when I want secure and untraceable internet service. It works like a charm and it is fairly easy to switch between secure and non secure modes. However it is installed on my laptop. I would not install this on a company owned machine.

Good Luck

John

JamisJockey
December 24, 2004, 10:35 AM
You folks just should be thankful I can only access a computer at work on my breaks......

"Delta 1-2-9, standby, I just read something about concealed carry and am compelled to respond."

:neener:

jwmoore
January 13, 2006, 04:30 PM
You know what is funny my company has Websense but THR is allowed. GT and some of the other boards are blocked because they are in the "Weapons" category, but not THR. I guess I am just lucky.
THR has made it into the weapons category with the latest Websense update. Along with Cheaper than Dirt. :banghead:

Zundfolge
January 13, 2006, 04:47 PM
If your IT department is even remotely sharp not only will your attempts to get around them not work, worse they'll not go unnoticed.

Screwing with the security of the company's network is a fireable offense in most companies (they don't know if you're just trying to gain access to forums or if you're nefariously sending data to a competitor, or access file sharing networks thus opening the company to liability).

If you really want access to these forums (and others), and you are allowed to use the net on "down time" (like breaks and such) then go to your IT guys and ask them if you can get access ... and if they say no, then too bad.

reason #2345298476 that I prefer working for a small company than a large one.

ngray
January 13, 2006, 04:57 PM
As an IT guy (posting from work), here's a few points:

It's tough to look at logs, and most reports, and be able to tell the time-wasters from the work-related users.

However, once you make the 'problem user' radar, you'll no longer be in the 'pool' of traffic, and instead be moved to the 'microsocope', where it's easier to be questioned for even routine surfing, let alone proxy/dns/redirection/rdp hacks.

If you're in the pool, generating traffic similar to all the other users, you're better off. If some weird app or protocol trips an IDS or monitor (google it), you'll be flying straight (goodbye THR, hello CNN) for months.

YellowLab
January 13, 2006, 06:35 PM
Getting fired cause you were on a BBS is not gonna sit well with your future employer or your old lady/man.

dolanp
January 13, 2006, 06:52 PM
I used to just tunnel through ssh back to my home machine running a local proxy. Good solution because it was fast (not image-based like RDP, VNC, etc) and nobody could see what kind of traffic I was actually sending (encrypted).

Sunray
January 13, 2006, 07:00 PM
"...Bribe the IT guy/gal..." The normal currency is doughnuts or beer(preferably imported and not that stuff made with rice) in multiples of twelve.

Mainsail
January 13, 2006, 07:01 PM
Get one of these for your laptop, you may be able to piggyback on a nearby WiFi.

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/networking/long-range-mobile-wifi-kit.php?PHPSESSID=2315f6fd561231f7352446ed8940d9a5

txgho1911
January 13, 2006, 08:09 PM
ar15.com with www.jobrelatedstuff.com. I can bet that will cost another registration.

Sheldon J
January 13, 2006, 11:05 PM
Your job is more important than surfing. .
A very large AMEN on that one, have you thought of my solution bring your laptop to work and use the phone lines to a dial up, on break time that is.:evil:

Glockman17366
January 14, 2006, 12:27 AM
Don't!

If you try to circumvent any company "censorship" on the internet...you'll likely be written up...or worse.

Work is work...those computers are not for your surfing or enjoyment!

ALASKACAJUN
January 14, 2006, 04:13 AM
I'm the head counter guy at my job and my best friend is the top salesman! We got a new computer system at work and some corporate people installed it, they put all kinds of filters and junk on our work puters.... The day they left we walked into the bosses office and told him we could not look at naked chicks.... He luaghed and turned around to his puter, then turned off the filter.... :neener: I love my job....

- Clint

repsychler
January 14, 2006, 09:54 AM
My site was blocked by Websense (in the weapons category) once. My solution was to go to the websense site and complain that they need to put it in a new category. I think I had it put in hobby, or political....something that wasn't blocked.

Richard.Howe
January 14, 2006, 10:41 AM
Here are a few options:

http://www.the-cloak.com/

http://www.anonymizer.com/consumer/products/anonymous_surfing/

http://www.anonymsurfen.com/

http://www.anonymprom.com/

TechBrute
January 14, 2006, 10:50 AM
Is there some reason that you feel entitled to surf on a computer owned by your company to a site that your company has clearly exhibited that they don't want you to visit? It's not your computer, not your ISP, and except for 2 15 minute breaks a day and a 30 minute lunch, in Texas it's not your time, either.

So, not your time, not your computer, and not your bandwidth. Change jobs if you have a problem with it.

Snagglepuss
January 14, 2006, 12:45 PM
Our school district uses Websense also. It censors all the forums except THR and 1911forum. Thats all I need for a little reading on my freetime. I also use the email notification. That way I can read what others post and then make any replies from home. Oh, by the way, I use my Powerbook to wirelessly access the network.

rick_reno
January 14, 2006, 01:00 PM
Look at Putty - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Fly320s
January 14, 2006, 01:07 PM
You folks just should be thankful I can only access a computer at work on my breaks......

"Delta 1-2-9, standby, I just read something about concealed carry and am compelled to respond."

:neener:
Jamis, isn't that what you mean when you say, "Say again, I was on a land-line."

If you enjoyed reading about "Get around web filter at work?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!