$2000+ guns....

PDA

natedog
March 2, 2003, 11:50 PM
I'm sorry if this question is too personal. If it is, you don't have to reply.

I see a lot of guns that go for $2k and more. Things like HK stuff (a lot) most Class 3 weapons, precision rifles, custom handguns, fine Italian double barrel shotguns. Do regular people actually plunk down all the cash on guns like those? For me, all of my purchases are always under $1k, no exceptions so far ( :rolleyes: ) . I like to keep it around $500 or below even more.

If you enjoyed reading about "$2000+ guns...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CZ-75
March 2, 2003, 11:54 PM
Most I've paid is $1000, and I only did that once.

J Miller
March 2, 2003, 11:55 PM
natedog,

I have no problems with spending such ammounts buying a gun. There are several I would love to have. But in all my life I have never been financially well off enough to put down that kind of money.
Maybe someday. My main wish is a nice, real nice, 1st or 2nd generation Colt SAA with real ivory grips. That will go over the two grand mark.
Do normal people plunk down that kind of money? I guess some do. But I'd also guess most don't.

Blackhawk
March 3, 2003, 12:14 AM
I'm sorry if this question is too personal. If it is, you don't have to reply.I don't have to reply even if it's not, but I did anyway. :rolleyes:

Marshall
March 3, 2003, 12:14 AM
I haven't hit the 2K mark yet. I have surpassed the 1K mark on a several ocassions. Remember, when you start adding in $5-700.00 in scopes bases rings etc. it's easy to spend 1,300-1,500 on a gun. Get into O/U's and it's damn dear a prerequisite.

Blackhawk
March 3, 2003, 12:20 AM
For a production shooter? Naw.

But I would for an authenticated historical gun I really wanted.

Tamara
March 3, 2003, 12:27 AM
Only two; Beretta AR70 and HK91.

Kenneth Lew
March 3, 2003, 12:27 AM
Do regular people actually plunk down all the cash on guns like those?

I do.

Redlg155
March 3, 2003, 01:27 AM
Ok...$2000 for a gun? Probably not in my lifetime with the wife I have, which will most likely be for my lifetime. :D

1K is acceptable, even $1500 after a lot of saving and buying over time. For 2K I'd rather purchase one of those hunting trips of a lifetime and a nice rifle to go with it.

Good Shooting
RED

BerettaNut92
March 3, 2003, 02:27 AM
Not quite $2000 but am planning on a Wilson CQB.

I cut costs in other areas by giving up the meaningless things people my age normally do.

voilsb
March 3, 2003, 02:28 AM
well, I don't know how normal you consider me, but as soon as I can possibly afford it, I plan on dropping the cash for a registered M16 and for a barret M82 (separate purchases), both of which are more than triple your "$2k" figure.

granted, it will be years before I can afford it, but I *definately* am willing to.

why? because I can. it's a right. same reason I speak and pray. because it's a right.

BigDeeeeeeee
March 3, 2003, 04:11 AM
In the next month or so I'm going to order myself a Springfield Professional or the equivalent from Baer or Wilson. Somewhere in the 2k neighborhood anyway. My most expensive so far was a Bushmaster, a little over $800.

And like voilsb, I'd like a Barret M82, someday.:)

Kahr carrier
March 3, 2003, 05:54 AM
Yep I have on a Springfield 1911 that I had completely gone thru by a great pistolsmith.I havent had a hiccup with that gun yet.:)

redneck2
March 3, 2003, 06:17 AM
how many guys do you know that have $15,000 in a Harley??

$20-30,000 in a boat???

$40,000-$60,000 in a car and pick-up

They could have a dozen nice guns instead. Difference is, in a few years the car, boat, and maybe the Harley will history, but you'll probably still have the guns.

Depends on your priorities. The REAL difference is that cars and boats can be bought on payments, and very very few Americans today have enough patience to save for anything.

Americans are probably the only people in the world that complain 'cause we can't buy more stuff, then complain 'cause we don't have a place to put what we've got.

Wanna buys some nice guns??? Do like me and my friends do. Buy a good SUV (we have Cherokees) that will go 300K+ miles. Pay it off. You'll have NO payments, really low insurance, and you can get a nice gun every two months with the money you save.

But instead, most guys have to get a new ride every 3 years. They'll make payments of $400-$700 every month, FOREVER.

Lesse....$600 per month times 12= $7,200 per year. If you work 50 years, that's $360,000 dollars (for vehicles you don't even own anymore).

Oops, double that 'cause you've got 2 cars...

If you think $2,000 could buy a cool gun, think what you could do with $720,000

swingset
March 3, 2003, 06:17 AM
I'm lucky my interest are in milsurps, where that kind of coin is rare - unless you're addicted to rarities or snipers. I've paid $1000 to $1200 but no more.

But, I'd have no problem justifying it if my interest were benchrest or custom guns. Think about it. You might have what, 2 or 3 of these guns total? That's $6000, right?

How much does a Harley cost or a nice motocross? How much is that restored '69 Camaro? What about a custom-shop Les Paul or a nice R/C rig?

Makes a $2000 gun seem cheap, if it's your sole and most valued hobby.

echo3mike
March 3, 2003, 07:36 AM
When I had the disposable income, plunking down the cash for a NIB M1A didn't seem all that hard to swallow. Right now, it's rough to scrape up range fees.

To most people, it's a matter of priorities. Rent / mortgage, food, car payments, etc. Once those are satisified, then you can play. That's why we either save up for things, acquire our desires peicemeal, or leave those desires unfullfilled.

But it's also about value...not the character / morals kind. Imagine you're making 10 times the amount you are now, same bills, same responsibilities. If you've got that level of disposable income, and you KNOW it's not going away, that kind of money isn't as "serious". An MP5 or a Barrett isn't that impossible, nor does it represent the "investment" that it does now. You might even start to fancy one of these beauties (http://www.hollandandholland.com/gunrooms/newyork/usedguns/9910101040914-5.htm) ...yeah, $85,000 :what:...for a USED rifle...(oh, wait a minute...it's a pair of rifles. That's MUCH easier to justify). It represents less time and effort from the buyer than from the average working stiff.

Sadly, the rest of us still need to keep chugging away, toting that barge, lifting that bale...

I don't have much experience with it, but I'm a great fan of money! (sig line from somewhere)

S.

Ian
March 3, 2003, 08:10 AM
I've never paid more than $700 for a gun - but one of my Dad's friends bought a Japanese Type 5 rifle (their copy of the M1 Garand) for a whopping $20,000 (tweny thou).:what:

HSMITH
March 3, 2003, 08:18 AM
Spending $1500-2000 is easy to do on quality shotguns, by the time you get a rifle "tweaked and tuned" and glass and all of that it is easy to have over a $1000 in a common bolt gun. 1911's are easy to go over a grand too. I only have two that cost over $1200 anymore, most went down the road because I found something cheaper that did it better.

El Tejon
March 3, 2003, 08:57 AM
Sure, one of the joys of firearms is that you get what you pay for. However, I'm still strying to rationalize that $1300 Chinee STEN.:D

nate, just think of it as good incentive to study in school. Just wait until you find out what a tactical golf vacation costs.:p

Jeeper
March 3, 2003, 09:00 AM
It is easy to go over $2K in a gun purchase. But like it has been said before it is a hobby. If your hobby was classic cars 2K would get you an engine or half a paint job.

cslinger
March 3, 2003, 09:22 AM
We have never hit the $1000 dollar mark but there are three such firearms that I would like that fall over this mark.

A nice P7 M8
A nice M1A (well actually aftern owning a Garand I think I could scratch this off the list. Heck I would rather have a couple more Garand's then a new M1A.)
A nice custom/semi-custom .45 (High end Kimber, Les Baer etc.)

Other than that I would love to have a nice original 1st generation Colt SAA and a nice Original Winchester Lever Action. those two are pipe dreams though.

Chris

Outside of those I really have pretty much gotten all the pricy stuff that I want in my collection. Heck we went to the gun store the other day and nothing really floated my boat except for a Kimber Ultra Eclipse. There is usually a whole rack or two of something that gets me going.

I guess that means it's time to start buying training and accessories. :D. Did everybody just hear Sheslinger groan in agony....I swear I think I just did.

Intune
March 3, 2003, 09:27 AM
I got a good deal on my $2,100.00 Beretta Silver Pigeon II. So, no, I haven't spent over 2 grand on a weapon. ;) My SAR 1 may not be as "pretty" but still has a beauty of its own.

JohnBT
March 3, 2003, 10:27 AM
Well, yes. In the last couple of years.

I haven't always been able to, but finally I can. I'm trying not to brag, but to explain my position. I'm 52 and one year and one month away from a 30-year early retirement should I decide to take it. I can buy more guns if I don't.

I'm divorced with no alimony, no child suport, no mortgage and no car payment. And yes, I have a house and a 2002 car.

I don't often spend that kind of money on a gun, but I can. I wrote a check for an $1800 safe Saturday at the gun show (plus tax, plus $150 delivery.) My hand is still shaking. I'm a cheap son of a gun after all those years of pinching pennies.

When I bought my home in 1980 the heat had been off for 2 years and it hadn't been taken care of in at least 10. I went out on a limb for a 1915 house that was last owned by an inner city hospital. The payment on a $41k house took 75 cents less than HALF my monthly income at that point. I pulled this off by talking my ex-girlfriend into signing the mortgage application(legal), but not putting her name on the house. She was moving out west and, being a starving artist, trusted me to make the payments and pad her credit report.

Now the houses on the block are assessed at $150k to $230k. I'm in the middle somewhere.

John

mpthole
March 3, 2003, 10:54 AM
Do regular people actually plunk down all the cash on guns like those?
Absolutely... when the disposable income is there. When I was making big bucks (to me anyway) in technology consulting, the very first rifle I ever bought was a used AR-10 w/ a Leupold scope and 6 20-round mags for $1,600. Not too long after that I added a Benelli, a Colt, a Bushmaster, another H&K USP, etc, etc.

A buddy of mine is into off-roading and 4-wheel drives. I'm sure he's spent just as much on his hobby and all the trips he's taken as I've spent on mine.

BigG
March 3, 2003, 10:57 AM
Yep. I can easily see it and have done it. But it's even better to buy one for a reasonable amount and watch it skyrocket up to the stratosphere like I did with the Colt AR15 carbines prior to Y2K. Lucky timing.

Sven
March 3, 2003, 12:09 PM
The $1300 I spent on the Valtro saved me multiple hundred dollar purchases that I would have regretted on the way to owning the Valtro.

Mute
March 3, 2003, 12:30 PM
Remember. There is need, then want, then desire. Guess in which direction the price range moves.

ajacobs
March 3, 2003, 01:05 PM
While I have never paid over 2000 for a firearm I have over a dozen (with out painstakingly looking at receipts) that I have 2000 into. I don't tend to be High end wilson's, I buy base model 1911 and then send them to a smith. I have over 2400 just in gunsmith work alone on one pistol.

I am young, don't make allot of money but I work hard. I guess I am just a simple person. I save allot of money and my only splurge is guns. I am perfectly happy driving my 94 ranger with 80,000 miles. I rather spend 3 hours in the woods than three hours out at the movies. Now I know if I had a little ones I would be broke.

Soap
March 3, 2003, 02:30 PM
just think of it as good incentive to study in school. Just wait until you find out what a tactical golf vacation costs.

What do you think gets me through "Introduction to International Relations"? :D

10-Ring
March 3, 2003, 02:50 PM
I've gone over a grand once in a handgun & twice back when I purchased a couple of HK rifles. $2k? Nope, that so far is a scary figure I'm not ready to flirt with. (yet)

firestar
March 3, 2003, 03:20 PM
The most I have spent was $1140 on a Colt .45. My dad spent well over $2000 on a hunting rifle. It was a Rem 700 which he had some custom work done to and added a Leopold scope. Nice gun but I just couldn't do it. Give me a stock Rem 700 and a $200 scope and I doubt I could tell the differance.

Good scoped rifles are so darn accurate that I would never be able to tell the difference in the field with no rest. I doubt many people would be able to tell the difference between .5" and 1" groups under field conditions. Same with pistols that cost over $2000, most people would never be able to tell the diffence in accuracy. There is a big difference between a stock $400-600 gun and a slightly customized one that might run up the price to about a $1000. Beyond that and you are into the realm of dimminishing returns.

If you are talking about collectable guns then everything I said goes out the window. People buy with their hearts when it come to the old guns. Rarity and nostalgia play a big role in it.

braindead0
March 3, 2003, 03:28 PM
Go to Bulletfest and you'll see a hundred of them ;-).. I'd love to know what it cost for the GE Minigun..that must've been a bit pricey.

muddyboots
March 3, 2003, 06:18 PM
I've never paid even close to $2000 for a gun. But I have four that are worth over that. Two evil, black HK's that the federal government has increased in value for me over five-fold. A pre-WWII Colt National Match that I inherited. An 1865 Spencer carbine that I got in even trade for a Weatherby pump.

DrDremel
March 3, 2003, 06:51 PM
I paid 2k for my subgun. I don't mind paying the money for the gun, I can't stand the guys that pay that much and baby them. Use the thing!

CWL
March 3, 2003, 06:51 PM
What's the hang-up over some dollar amount?

Different people, different likes/dislikes, different income groups.

Big deal.

BerettaNut92
March 3, 2003, 07:37 PM
Finding a smaller place and living with a roommate makes up for the cost after 9 months ;)

six 4 sure
March 3, 2003, 08:00 PM
I've made several purchases over $1000, but I haven't cracked $2000 yet. I look at my guns as an enjoyable investment.

six

rageman
March 3, 2003, 10:05 PM
Not yet, but when I get a MG42 (my dream gun), thats gonna cost way over $2000. Same with the StG44, and most of the other guns I want to get. Damn you hgh prices for rare automatic firearms!!

TechBrute
March 3, 2003, 11:05 PM
I've never spent $2000 on a gun at one time, but I have a couple of rifles that I've got more than that sunk into. You start with an $800 Remington 700, drop a $1200 NighrForce scope on it, a $250 H-S Precision steel floorplate, $250 worth of rings and a base, a $250 Vias muzzle brake, a $250 Jewell trigger, an $800 Krieger barrel, a $100 Harris bipod, a $200 Pelican case, a few magazines, and oh yeah, if you are going to be doing any precision shooting, you had better be hand loading...

I could see spending over $2K on a nice over/under. I could also see someone spending that on a colectable gun. I just don't see spending that much on a modern handgun, when there are so many great ones for under $500, and so many more under $1000.

Kenneth Lew
March 4, 2003, 02:13 PM
I paid 2k for my subgun. I don't mind paying the money for the gun, I can't stand the guys that pay that much and baby them. Use the thing!

Thats the reason one should by 2 of everything. One to keep as a safe queen and the other to practice as a MALL NINJA.:neener: :scrutiny:

Kenneth Lew

cratz2
March 4, 2003, 03:50 PM
Without going into too much detail, let's say I have over $10,000 in guns. Much of that has been spent finding out exactly what I like and what I don't. I tend to sell off that which doesn't interest me specifically and those that will likely never have any significant value but I rarely sell for much of a loss. Several of the guns I currently own are perfectly good guns that for whatever reason, I no longer desire.

Back on topic, I would gladly keep about four of my current guns, sell the rest so I could afford about four top quality rifles. I'd get an older Sako in 243 or similar and another Sako in 6.5x55. Put a 6x42 Swarovski or S&B scope on each of them and would gladly trade nearly any six of my current rifles for those two.

Handgun-wise, I could happily live with my P32, my Dan Wesson 22 revolver, Springfield Loaded Stainless Target and 686 along with my upcoming Kahr P9 Covert... that means I could get rid of about 10 or 15 guns and never miss them. I'd trade those 10 guns for a Munden worked Bisley in 44 Magnum or 45 Colt and a upper line Rock River or Springfield Pro.

So while I haven't ever spent $900 on a single firearm that I can recall, I'd rather have a select few excellent pieces than 30 mediocre pieces. ;)

telewinz
March 4, 2003, 08:42 PM
Wish I could spend 3500 on an AUG, but that will never happen. The same AUG has been on the same dealer's shelf for over 10 years now when it was first going for 2500. No matter how neat the gun, after a few weeks the "luster" wears off and then you say "I could have gotten 3 or them, 4 of those, and 2 of them for the same price":)

Pendragon
March 6, 2003, 05:52 PM
I want a few $2k range guns.

I want a Steyer Scout and one of those Co-Pilot 45-70 break downs - those arent quite $2k, but close.

My objective is to own maybe 8 really excellent guns and perhaps another half dozen beaters for teaching newbies or for throwing in the glove box or whatever.

My Valtro is my top notch 1911 - now I need a nice bolt rifle, big bore lever, repeating rifle and a shotgun or three - then maybe a really sweet revolver or two - a hunter, a snub and a medium size (625) one.

No more cheap or crappy guns for me. Not everything has to be custom, but I could not buy say - a Rossi or Taurus - fine guns by all accounts, but its a matter of confidence...

50 Freak
March 6, 2003, 09:30 PM
Only did it once. My 50 cal was over $2,000, and add scope rings and "enhancements" and a good scope and all together, it was approaching almost the $3,000 mark.

Britt
March 7, 2003, 01:57 AM
Funny thing about buying guns, or nearly anything else for that matter... I feel like I'm nearly always on the broke side as far as cash in hand, but if it's one that truly interests me and holds my interest I'll pay for what I want. For the most part the $2k mark is further than I'm willing to stretch, but I'm about to break it on a commercial Oberndorf Mauser. Beyond that, I don't worry about the price too terribly much. I spent nearly 1,500 getting a varmint rifle fixed up just right and yet the second best shooter I own (behind the varmint) is a 1917 Enfield that cost $125 complete with $40 Tasco 4X scope. I bought the rifle just for the action yet it shot a .6" 5 shot group two weeks ago using handloads. I sincerely doubt if the $2500 Oberndorf will come anywhere near this accuracy, but it'll sure look good doing it. Hope my wife never sees this, she might not see the logic. BD

BigG
March 7, 2003, 08:35 AM
Well, I joined the club, now the next level is $3,000, or is it $5,000? :eek:

PJR
March 7, 2003, 09:42 AM
Sure have and well beyond too. The mortage is paid and I don't take costly holidays or own a boat, ATV, classic car, etc.

High dollar guns are probably a better place to put your money because they depreciate in value far less than many other luxury/entertainment items.

In the meantime, I get to shoot and enjoy some of the finest guns available.

Paul

Scott Evans
March 7, 2003, 09:51 AM
I do not see the difference between 4 guns at $500.00 each ( let’s say over a two year period) or one for $2000.00.

If you can budget and save $500 bucks for something that you want then $2000.00 (or more) is just as attainable. Time and discipline are the only other factors. If one were not convinced that an item was worth the price tag why would you buy such even if you had the cash in hand?

Wakal
March 7, 2003, 10:24 AM
I don't own a gun that I paid that much for. My wife, however, has a $3,000 racegun that I paid for :neener:

It is pretty easy to hit the $2k mark. My Limited gun, were I to have actually paid for it instead of winning it, would have been $2,300. I have that much in JUST magazines for STI's, easy, and probably close to that in magazines for Para P14's. Hell, just one drum for my Tommy is worth over $750 now :confused:

Buy what you like (and can afford). That said, if you want chocolate cake don't buy a Twinkie. While a Twinkie has its place, you won't be happy until you have chocolate frosting on your fingers. I see a lot of folks blowing money on M9's, P95's, and similar entry-level junk when they really want something halfway decent, instead of saving for a bit and buying the toy they want the first time.

Just my 4.2 cents.

Alex

CGofMP
March 10, 2003, 10:39 PM
Pendragon: If serious about a good bolt gun check out Nor-Cal Precision

http://www.norcalprecision.com

I do Jerry's website and he does work that is simply amazing.

http://www.norcalprecision.com/testimonials/cahrlestestimonialtarget2small.jpg

The above is in totally untrained hands (mine) and was done before I really became familiar with the rifle... it was very shortly after break in that thsi photo was taken. Those are 1/4 inch squares.

I could go on about the trigger feel ballance, etc...etc.. but...

Charles

trapshooter
March 11, 2003, 01:59 AM
Yep. And I will again, one of these days.:D :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "$2000+ guns...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!