TLC crime quiz: mugging

PDA

CZ-75
March 3, 2003, 01:33 AM
According to the quiz, when being followed, keep walking.

When being mugged, give them all your money and don't make eye contact and try to remember details; don't try to resist.

The segment was accompanied by actual footage of muggings taken by DC street gangs perpetrating the crime so they could keep the memories of their crimes.

Needless to say, I didn't like what I saw and would do everything I could to avoid having the crap beat out of me.

The strategy given indicated that you should not try to antagonize the perps and try to be of help to the police, when they arrive. :barf:

Hollow, very hollow. They could've avoided several minutes of worthless advice had they mentioned CCW.

If you enjoyed reading about "TLC crime quiz: mugging" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gordy Wesen
March 3, 2003, 01:57 AM
I've seen the tapes of these muggings and found them interesting. They offer clues about what to watch for.

Blackhawk
March 3, 2003, 01:58 AM
After finding out that I had a 43.7# adrenal gland, I knew that being mugged would end up with somebody being hurt so I got some MA training and experience courtesy of the Army followed by a nice peaceful packing civilian life all of which was to make it less likely that I would be the one hurt in a mugging.

CZ-75
March 3, 2003, 02:05 AM
It goes about the same for their home invasion scenario.

Make friends with the invader, etc.

Everything is contingent upon the attacker not wanting to hurt you for their advice to work.

ball3006
March 3, 2003, 03:26 PM
them and be done with it.....chris3

firestar
March 3, 2003, 04:20 PM
So their advice is to just to not resist? Kind of like negotiating with terrorist don't ya think? Sure it is an easy way out once but as soon as word gets out that people can do whatever they want, they will (and then some).

This kind of advice is making life MORE dangerous for everyone. If the bad guys think this is what we are going to do, then they will be more likely to mug us or invade our home.

It is fine for those of us that carry and have home defense guns but what about the rest of the sheep? Oh well. I guess you can't protect everyone.

Statistically, we are far more likly to be killed by some local criminal than by a terrorist but people still want to ban gun.:rolleyes: How many of you out there really feel a threat from a terrorist? Not me. It could happen but if I hang out in the wrong "hood" for long enough it WILL happen.

My advice is to surprise the mugger with overwhelming force once you decide what he is up to. Don't give him a chance to counter attack, just let loose with whatever you got, fists, rocks, guns, knife, whatever. It works in the wild with animals, I have seen smaler more agressive aniamls back down larger ones. Wolverine vs. bear, weasel vs. fox, etc. You got to remember that these bad guys are operating on the animal level so trying to reason with them is pointless, you have to talk to them in the only language they understand, violence. It is sad but true. I know I'm preaching to the converted but it gets me mad when I see this type of advice.:banghead:

I told my wife to fight back with all her might if she is attacked. I believe it is the best action, I wouldn't risk her life just to be macho. I truly think that if she went beserk on someone, she could get away. She kicks like a mule, don't ask me how I know.:rolleyes:

Betty
March 3, 2003, 04:33 PM
When being mugged, give them all your money and don't make eye contact and try to remember details; don't try to resist.

"So, what did your attacker look like?"
"I don't know, I didn't look at his face. TLC said to not make eye contact. But I can tell you what the pavement looked like."

Preacherman
March 3, 2003, 04:38 PM
Pastor I may be, but anyone (or any group) trying to mug me will speedily find out whether the faith I profess has any substance - i.e. they will know the answer to the age-old question, "Is there life after death?" After being shot twice, getting grenade fragments in one leg and mortar fragments in the other, stabbed once, and beaten up a few times, my tolerance quotient was exceeded many, many years ago.When being mugged, give them all your money and don't make eye contact and try to remember details; don't try to resist.I'll give 'em "don't resist!" :fire: :fire: :fire:

JPM70535
March 3, 2003, 04:47 PM
When they attempt to mug me, I will show them how to take a Dirt Nap. Whenever I am confronted by BGs I fear for my life and therefore must take the appropriate action.

When my home is invaded, I hope the BGs read the sign on my door, it says "Those found here at night, Will be FOUND here in the morning"

Fight or flight, your choice, I have already made mine.

beemerb
March 3, 2003, 04:52 PM
That non resistence crap might of worked many yrs ago.BG's have gotten more violent and are more prone to killing for kicks.
Instant response with whatever you have now days is the only chance you have.
Bob

labgrade
March 3, 2003, 06:11 PM
Having taken The Test (regards: are you a vitcim" posted elsewhere - as if it mattered .... ) & being anywhere from a -24 -
-42, I'll go with my instincts.

"Antagognizing the perp." = That's a good'un.

"Antagognizing" in my book is shooting 'em so full of holes they are incapable of doing anything but begging you to dial 911.

I'll be absolutely "complacent" up to the point anyone decides that they'll use force against me (mine) to have what they desire.

At that time, they're smoked.

LawDog
March 3, 2003, 07:13 PM
If I am so bloody indecently gormless as to allow a mugger to sneak up on me to the point where he has the upper hand, I will indeed go out of my way to avoid antagonizing him.

However, by staying the hell out of Condition White, practising my observation skills, and maintaining an aura of not carrying enough money to be worth the pain and/or grief, I have managed to go almost four decades without having been mugged.

LawDog

Standing Wolf
March 3, 2003, 09:31 PM
I have a hunch two warning shots from a .357 magnum to the head, followed by two more warning shots to the chest, would probably be more effective than attempting to placate criminals.

Minute_Of_Torso
March 3, 2003, 09:47 PM
"warning shots . . ." That cracks me up :)

I never saw this supposed educational video and I probably never will.

I pray to God every day that I'll need not take another human life but, as I've posted elsewhere and often: When my family's safety is at risk, LETHAL FORCE IS ALWAYS AUTHORIZED!

Carlos Cabeza
March 4, 2003, 11:50 AM
I finally convinced my mother to keep a .38 snubbie in the house when there was a late night break in / murder very close to her home. Some goblin decided to rape,rob and then strangle an 84 year old DEFENSELESS woman only blocks from mom's house. I am sure the woman did everything she was asked to do yet was still killed for her compliance. I want to throw up in disgust when I hear the advice given by people who have armed guards to protect them from harm.:fire: Mom knows now that IF SOMEONE KICKS THE DOOR IN, EMPTY THE GUN IN BG'S CHEST !!!!! I'll tell you, I am very proud of her for taking some responsibility in her own safety as it generally takes the police 20 minutes to respond to a call.

griz
March 4, 2003, 12:26 PM
TLC response to what did your attacker look like?

"I don't know, I didn't look at his face. TLC said to not make eye contact. But I can tell you what the pavement looked like."

THR response:

I don't know, the front sight blocked my view.:p

CZ-75
March 4, 2003, 12:28 PM
Face?

He doesn't have one of those anymore.

:evil:

MLH
March 4, 2003, 01:37 PM
Don't forget this was DC, a defense free zone!:barf: :banghead:

fedlaw
March 4, 2003, 01:52 PM
According to the quiz, when being followed, keep walking.

IMHO and based on several unsuccessful muggings where I was the intended victim, the above advice is likely to leave you poorer in both health and wallet.
I have avoided being a victim by:
(1) Always being alert and aware of my surroundings;
(2) Always maintaining "in control" body language;
(3) Never responding to the BG's demands, either orally or by action, but maintaining direct eye contact with their "spokeman" while using 'third eye' and peripheral vision;
(4) Never allowing the BG's to outflank me;
(5) Always having a weapon I know how to use and being prepared to use it without hesitation or mercy.

cratz2
March 4, 2003, 03:59 PM
While I had a few close calls during my pizza delivering days (man that seems like a lifetime ago) I've been relatively fortunate. Of course, I'd like to think that I've played an active role in that fortune. I used to be pretty hot headed and maybe even slightly prone to the occasional bout of roadrage. When I started carrying, that all really changed. Having kids also helped change the road rage thing. I think the knowledge that (editorial) you are pretty well prepared and observant lowers your likeliness to need to become involved in a controntation. Same thing with a mugging... I'd like to think that I could avoid having to use the firearm that was convinient but the knowledge that it is there and my compotence with it helps.

Also, things like number of attackers, and if they are visibly armed would play into it. Four guys at various distances with their hands in their coat pockets are much safer than the one guy that punches me and keeps his hands held in a defensive boxing position. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "TLC crime quiz: mugging" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!