AR Buffer Tube Removal


December 23, 2004, 11:28 PM
I have a collapsible stock on its way, so I have been messing with my lower trying to remove the buffer tube. This thing will not come off! :cuss: I looked over at and there was a suggestion to place the lower in the fridge. I'm gonna try that, but does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR Buffer Tube Removal" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
December 23, 2004, 11:30 PM
I had the same problem get the buffer tube & stock off my firle. I ended uo using a pipe wrench very carefully. I ended up with just one small mark on the buffer tube.

December 24, 2004, 04:48 PM
If you have an armorers wrench or similar tool there is a slot which fits the flats on the stepped down portion of the receiver extention (buffer tube) so you can unscrew it. If it was assembled with some sort of thread lock you will need a vise with padded jaws or a lower receiver block (usually plastic piece that fits into the magazine well, you stick the block into the vise and the receiver onto it).

Good luck, and be patient. :)

December 24, 2004, 06:32 PM
Try a strap wrench.

December 24, 2004, 09:06 PM
Put the receiver in an AR Vise Block and secure in a bench vise.
Play a propane torch over the buffer tube threads and the rear of the receiver until they become uncomfrotable hot.
Let cool a bit and then use an armorers wrench to break the buffer tube free.
Most manufacturers use a bit of Loc-Tite or similar product to secure the tube and heat works best to free the seal.
Jesus christ it's christmas and somebody is making issue over nomenclature

December 25, 2004, 07:15 AM
Play a propane torch over the buffer tube screws

I've never seen "screws" holding the buffer tube to the reciever... One holds the stock to the buffer tube, but the buffer tube itself is threaded and screws directly into the rear of the receiver...

I always remove really tight ones with a strap wrench (Sears sells em). Most of the time an armorers wrench is plenty if you just hold the reciever securely.

December 25, 2004, 11:10 AM
The armorer's wrench is just the ticket if you have one.

If not, a good Crescent wrench will also work. Here's how to get a tight tube off.

1. Remove the buttstock, and the innards from the lower receiver. Leave the pistol grip on.

2. Prop the lower receiver so that the buffer tube is lower than the rest of the receiver, with the pistol grip down.

3. Squirt a good amount of Kroil on the exposed threads where the buffer retaining pin is. (You DID remove the buffer, right?) Let it sit for about 2 hours. After the time has elapsed, take a small hammer and tap lightly around the part of the receiver where the buffer tube screws in. This will help further distribute the Kroil.

4. Lay the receiver flat on a sturdy table, with just the end of the buffer tube off the table.

5. Attach the Crescent wrench (preferably, a 12") so that you have to push down on the wrench to loosen. The threads are conventional; CCW to loosen. Make sure that you wriggle the wrench while tightening the thumbscrew, so that the wrench is TIGHT. You want absolutely NO play for the next step.

6. If you have applied the wrench and tightened it correctly, it should be firm on the flats at the end of the tube, and should stay there. Make sure that the wrench is horizontal, or slightly below.

7. Hold the receiver flat on the table, with the pistol grip under your hand as you hold the receiver. Put some weight on it for the next step.

8. Take a hammer, and rap the end of the wrench smartly. The tube should come loose readily.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR Buffer Tube Removal" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!