Proper paint or method for touching up front sight on Browning Nomad 22LR

PDA

bherman
December 24, 2004, 08:02 PM
I have a Browning Nomad 22LR pistol with a 6" barrel. It appears as if the front sight had previously been painted (in the center) with a bright-red paint, which is now quite faded.

What can be used to brighted this up a bit, and allow it to be functional and durable?

Thx

Brad H.

If you enjoyed reading about "Proper paint or method for touching up front sight on Browning Nomad 22LR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
December 24, 2004, 10:00 PM
If it were mine, I'd remove the red paint, sand what's left down to bare steel, and blue it.

That said™, if you want it to be red, the simplest method is to sand off the old paint—carefully, to be sure—then prime it, then add fresh paint. Model airplane paint seems to be the favorite for tasks of this sort. I tried some flat black on the front sight of my pre-agreement Smith & Wesson model 60, but it didn't last very long: holsters are often hard on front sights.

R.H. Lee
December 24, 2004, 10:21 PM
Model paint works fine. I've used Testor's enamel, it comes in little 1/4 oz bottles.

jrhines
December 25, 2004, 12:36 PM
Go to brightsights.com. This stuff is thicker & less likely to run. Good stuff, about $5 + shipping, but they don't make black. I use the blaze orange on my BE iron sights. Holding a black post centered in a black notch aginst a black bull is a bit much for these old eyes. I wonder if anyone makes a "black dot" electronic optical sight?

Clemson
December 29, 2004, 11:12 AM
Five years ago I put fingernail polish on the front sight of my S&W 342. It has ridden in a pocket holster most of the time since then, carried almost daily. The polish is still there, although it could stand a touch-up now. The worst part is sneaking into the cosmetic counter and checking out available colors.

Clemson

enfield
December 29, 2004, 12:36 PM
I like white on my front sights and use correction fluid in a ballpoint dispenser. Whiteout, Liquid Paper, etc. -- they're brilliant white.

Tinkerer
December 30, 2004, 03:44 PM
For touching up white dots I use appliance touch-up paint. It's epoxy based and hard as nails once cured. You might be able to pick it up in black.

cstuard
January 7, 2005, 11:39 AM
If you use model paint and want white, get FLAT white. I'm not sure of the science but it seems brighter to me.I use Brightsights plain white.The flourescent white does in fact work as a flourescent but in normal use has a yellowish tint to it so is dimmer than plain white.Good luck

If you enjoyed reading about "Proper paint or method for touching up front sight on Browning Nomad 22LR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!