Lead removal help

PDA

Noban
December 27, 2004, 11:46 AM
My new Ruger single six has an enormous amount of lead built up around the barrel throat that I can't remove. I've tried all the regular potions, even soaking that part of the frame overnight in Hoppe's #9. Any suggestions short of Tannerite?

Thx

Kev

If you enjoyed reading about "Lead removal help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JoeHatley
December 27, 2004, 12:18 PM
Pop over to www.brownells.com and buy a Lewis Lead Remover.

About $14... IIRC.

It will not only clean your barrel and chambers, but comes with an attachment just for the forcing cone.

Good Luck...

Joe

Noban
December 27, 2004, 12:26 PM
Joe - I'm familiar with the Lewis system, but have never seen it offered in .22 caliber. Brownells doesn't offer .22 either. Have you seen it elsewhere?

Thanks

Kev

Bill Z
December 27, 2004, 01:47 PM
The Lewis would be too detrimental to the fine rifleing of a .22 I would think anyways, I may be wrong, but I normally don't even run a brush through my .22's.

Kleen-Bore makes a couple of products that I would use if had the problem though. Basically they are the same.
One is the Lead-away patches:

http://kleenbore.bizland.com/store/media/CC-Lead-Away-Patches-new.gif

And the other being the cloth:

http://kleenbore.bizland.com/store/media/CC-Lead-Away-Gun-Cloth.gif

This way you have something to get right at the leading without hurting your rifleing.

Either should be available locally at a hunting/fishing store or directly from Kleen-Bore.

K-B Website (http://www.kleen-bore.com/)

Noban
December 27, 2004, 01:56 PM
Bill - Thanks. I have some of the Lead Away patches but have been reluctant to get near any bluing with them. I may have to give them a try - CAREFULLY!

Standing Wolf
December 27, 2004, 09:10 PM
Brownells doesn't offer .22 either.

It's never been made. I don't know why, since the screens are just bronze, and couldn't hurt a .22 caliber bore. In fact, I don't know why the Lewis lead remover isn't made for rifles.

Looks like a marketing opportunity to me.

stans
December 28, 2004, 05:57 AM
Have you tried cleaning the leading with a strip of copper mesh Chore Boy wrapped around a bore brush? Works great in centerfire caliblers. Cheap too!!

Swamprabbit
December 28, 2004, 08:55 AM
I can't speak for cleaning .22s but for my .45s, .38 and .357s, I just run a patch through soaked in Shooter's Choice (maybe let soak for a few minutes if the leading is real bad) then follow that with a bronze brush with some more SS poured on it. After a couple of dry patches, the bores are good to go.

Noban
December 28, 2004, 11:53 AM
Guys - Thanks for all the advice. The area I'm most interested in cleaning is the forcing cone. There's a good deal of lead in between the cone and the top strap that I can't get at.

GaryK
December 28, 2004, 11:54 AM
I have also had good luck with Chore Boy. The stuff that I use is silver in color. It works great and does not hurt your bore. I recently had need to use it frequently. I bought a case of American .45 acp. It has lead bullets and leaded the bores of my 1911s badly. A little Chore Boy wrapped around a .22 cal bore brush made short work of cleanup. Of course I am never going to buy another case of this ammo.

JoeHatley
December 28, 2004, 04:59 PM
Sorry Kev. I didn't read your post closely enough to see you had a single six.

For the area between the topstrap and barrel, the lead wipe aways work pretty good. The worst of the lead can be scrapped away with a small pocket knife blade. A popsicle stick and those small plastic "dental picks" help get the cloth in the tight spots.

Good Luck...

Joe

Tinkerer
December 30, 2004, 02:57 PM
I have in my collection a Ruger Super Single Six bicentenial (1976) model, and a matching one I bought a year ago. The 1976 version is smooth as silk. The more recent version was rough as a cob, had a burr on the bolt that was dragging against the cylinder, and the barrel throat was so rough cut it was spitting lead all around the OUTSIDE of the barrel building up on the frame. I bought dental/gun cleaning picks to scrape off the lead.

I was greatly displeased with the action and quality of work in that pistol. Being a moderate tinkerer, I went to work cleaning it up and polishing all working parts. I removed the burr from the bolt and polished it. Polished all internals, frame and parts. Best of all, I bought an 11 degree forcing cone cutter and polishing lap from Brownells for .22 pistols. After cleaning and polishing the forcing cone, I no longer have lead spitting problems. And, the action is as smooth as the Liberty model.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lead removal help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!