Big 5 gun with a broken extractor...

PDA

jrhines
December 28, 2004, 10:28 PM
I have a Winchester 70 in .416 Rem Mag in the shop with a broken (MIM) extractor. It dropped a hippo and then FTE'd with another one (hippo) coming. It also reduced the gun selection for the rest of the hunt to 1 (bummer). Where can I get non-MIM extractors for this puppy. Not Brownell's, I have three cast ones from them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Big 5 gun with a broken extractor..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Barrelmaker
December 29, 2004, 12:26 AM
Go here.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/rifles/winchester/70pre.html

New model extractors should be the same as the pre -64 type. The extractor collars have been changed to accept the new gas block.

brian roberts
December 29, 2004, 06:43 PM
i thought Win. put steel on all (maybe its ONLY on CS)custom shop guns in the bite, slash, rip, tear, eat, stomp, calibers. i had 4 FWTs in here, ALL had salts bleeding out, then i happened to bend one of those extractors, getting it off. no big deal, i started to GENTLY straighten it as i had been trained to work on springs, POOF! gone. 3 of the 4 owners got the Wisener's extractors & they've been very happy. Win. stated aghast, "why, we've NEVER had ANY trouble w/our (POS) extractors, i don't know HOW THAT COULD have happened". and, standard response to the litany of crap list, "well, send it back, we stand behind our products" "then you're an idiot, was MY rejoinder, because you should know better!!! and i'll tell my customers that if, in future, they are planning to go somwhere where there are DANGEROUS ANIMALS about, to buy an older Winchester, if that's what they GOTTA HAVE, an' i'll just totally RE-BUILD it, because that's what ITS, GOTTA HAVE, otherwise, i won't let it out of my shop, & i'll tell their wives to MAKE SURE they have double indemnity on the ol' man, before he goes on the trip" well, there was silence on the line, then, "well, send it back, we'll make it right" "are you going to put a steel extractor on it?" "well, we don't make them for that caliber(6.5x55)" "well, what's the sense of sending it back, you didn't make it right to begin with, how can you FIX it?? i'll just get new extractors & fit 'em to all these guns, goodbye". typical American victim to the bean counters. (or maybe there's something sinister at the root of all this, :scrutiny: RE: the lawsuits, maybe this is just another part of THE CONSPIRACY-tah DAAAHhh.) :cuss: out.

jrhines
December 29, 2004, 09:27 PM
This Mod 70 is a custom safari gun (think $7K) all tricked out by a well known builder. Magnificent wood, printed action, kilobuck plus scope, the broken extractor is nicely jewled...

If you enjoyed reading about "Big 5 gun with a broken extractor..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!