Long gun carry in a Jeep Wrangler

PDA

justice4all
March 3, 2003, 05:54 PM
My understanding is that it's legal to carry a rifle or shotgun in one's vehicle in CO, so long as the chamber is empty.

I'd welcome any suggestions as to how to safely secure a long gun in a Jeep, especially from other Jeepers who've done what I'm considering. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Long gun carry in a Jeep Wrangler" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
George Hill
March 3, 2003, 06:16 PM
There are a lot of options...
The one I like the most is a mount that attaches to the roll bar. Hold the rifle/shotgun vertically.

AZTOY
March 3, 2003, 06:19 PM
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/reviews/tuffy/tuffimages/loaded.gif

This box is big! It measures 30" L x 16" H x 35-1/4" W. It is made of 16 gauge steel and has two cylindrical locks for security. These are the same style locks as used in the other Tuffy products. The lid is held closed with a paddle style latch and is supported by two gas struts when opened. In addition to the lid you can easily load and unload your gear via the drop down tailgate. For added convenience the drop down tailgate can be removed. The box uses existing seat mounting holes in Jeep vehicles so in most cases no drilling is required.

Enough of the chitchat. Follow along as we install this box in a 1989 Wrangler.

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/reviews/tuffy/tuffy.html

Coltdriver
March 3, 2003, 07:24 PM
Just a nit, but it is illegal to carry a rifle in Colorado in an Off Highway Vehicle unless the weapon is unloaded in both the chamber and the magazine.

The reason I mention this is you may get an OHV tag for your jeep, find yourself on an OHV trail and get popped for the status of your weapon.

As for how you store one securely I will be watching the thread to see how you do that. I bet there is a lockable case or box somewhere but getting it to fit a jeep is going to be an interesting task:D

JeepDriver
March 5, 2003, 08:24 PM
You can try www.truckvault.com but I didn't find anything for Wranglers.

Depending on the type of weapon you wish to secure Tuffy wakes a lock box that installs behind the rear seat that is 42" wide at the top in a YJ but only 34" wide in a TJ.

If you have a AR shorty or shotgun W/ a folder that should be wide enough. I just measured my SAR1 and a 10/22 they would both fit in the YJ box. But none of the others will

If you enjoyed reading about "Long gun carry in a Jeep Wrangler" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!