Anyone have an example of the CCW recommendation letter?

PDA

bglimpse
December 30, 2004, 01:04 AM
I am looking for an example of the letter of recommendation that is needed for a CCW. Thanks.

bglimpse@yahoo.com

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone have an example of the CCW recommendation letter?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
USP45usp
December 30, 2004, 01:32 AM
bglimpse , you've got to include more information.

Like, where are you at? Here in Oregon you don't need a letter but you do have to get three "character references".

Go to www.packing.org to get more info for your home state if you don't want to release any information here.

Wayne

*edited due to I just realized what I did when I abbrev. the user name.

crawfish
December 30, 2004, 01:44 AM
Don't know where you are but not a requirement here.
Handle it like any other LoR. Consider the person who writes it. An LoR written from your pastor would be better than one from the leader of the local “biker” club. He may be the “salt of the earth” but the LPD will see him as a “biker”. Stick with “the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth”, in your letter. If you are made out to be an ”A” student or a regular attendee at church make sure you can back it up. A letter from a close relative (unless they hold HIGH public office) doesn’t count. Stick to the point of obtaining a CCP.

LBTRS
December 30, 2004, 03:13 AM
USP45usp,

I didn't need any character references to get my Oregon CCW permit. Are you sure that's a requirement in Oregon? Maybe a country requirement for you?

reagansquad
December 30, 2004, 05:27 AM
Character references?!

peteinct
December 30, 2004, 12:25 PM
oops

peteinct
December 30, 2004, 12:48 PM
Dear Bglimpse, Here in Ct. you need 3 letters of reference to get your permit. I used 3 guys from work the ones who got me started. They all had permits of their own. I wrote a letter for a guy who I got started.

What we put in them was the name,address, and telephone of the writer and how he knew the permit seeker and for how long. Longer is better.They all said that that the permit seeker was a safe shooter and where we had shot. Ct requires you to take a safety class before you apply for your permit.Some towns, not mine fortunately require an interview with the cops before you can get your permit.

The letter I wrote went something like this

My name is peteinct, permit # 12345678 and I have known the aplicant XXX for 5 years. We work together at Chemical Co in such and such town. We have shot tegether often at Blue trail range and I have always known him to be a safe and competant shooter. He is a responsible person and there should be no problems with granting him a permit. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Then I put my name and telephone number.

We were told to use local references but my buddy used a Parole Officer that he was roomates with in school. He figured having an officer even from out of state would help. Use people who haven't been in trouble and don't use relatives. Also if someone is wiling to sign a letter but not write it have them dictate it to you and then sign it. One of my guys didn't feel comfortable writing a letter but we talked and I wrote down what he said and he was more than happy to sign it.Always make your letter neat and professional.

Don't joke about anything. Here in CT I feel thay look for reasons to deny you.The NRA should have things to help you. Good Luck, pete

USP45usp
December 30, 2004, 04:14 PM
LBTRS,

I'm not sure if it was a state thing or just Lane. I was issued back in 2001 (or '02? I fogot how long they are good for and mine expires in '06 ).

On my form it had a place for three people to print their name, address, and then sign it and they couldn't be family under a paragraph that stated that they tought I was of good character. So :confused: I don't know.

Wayne

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone have an example of the CCW recommendation letter?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!