Beretta 9000S Range Report

PDA

BLiTzNicK
January 1, 2005, 12:35 AM
I picked up a new 9000s, .40 S&W yesterday. The pistol ran $360 out the door, which seemed like a good deal to me. I filled out the yellow form, and was on my way.

The pistol looks like a cross-breed between a Taurus PT111 and a Beretta. The slide barely rises above the frame, which makes it difficult to rack. The 9000s looks like a futuristic blaster, perhaps lost by one of the MIB during a mission to KY.

The pistol came with 2 mags. One of them has a pinky rest on it, which is supposed to fold up, for carry, and easily fold down when bringing the pistol into action. I found this to be a nice design, but it doesn't quite work as advertised. While the rest does fold up and down, it doesn't happen simply by gripping the pistol.

One of the major complaints about the pistol is the safety. It is small, slick, and works similar to that of a 1911, with the exception being the decock feature activated by pushing the safety a hair past safe. The problem is that it is terribly difficult to manipulate. I would assume that by playing with the safety for a while, it would loosen up.

I headed out to the farm for a little shooting, but it was late, so I only ran 50 rounds through the little booger. I was surprised by the accuracy, seeing as I can't shoot well at all, and the DA pull requires a deliberate, quick pull in order to fire. SA is actually pretty light, and smooth.

After 47 rounds, I decided to try a 3 shot group. Here's the grouping from 7 yds. I fired the first shot DA, and then 2 additional shots SA. I've marked them on the paper.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/BLiTzNicK/2.jpg

I didn't measure the grouping, but that's one of my better with any handgun.

Final Thoughts:

This pistol is fat, and ugly, but works! For a little more than $300 everyone should own one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 9000S Range Report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
outofbattery
January 1, 2005, 03:20 AM
I bought one in 9mm this spring mainly on looks alone - I happen to think it looks great but there's no accounting for taste :p - and like it , and also have similar thoughts about the gun . The slide is a bit of a bear to rack but I figure that the chances of me having to work the slide in a usage scenario are slim to none - that MANY things would have to go wrong by that point - so I see it as more of a minor cold day range nuisance than a real issue . The safety gets much easier to operate with use , I can now flick it with my thumb but when I carry it ( OWB in a Bianchi FWIW , it isn't so much the width that's a PITA for IWB but that the safety,decocker juts out so far - I wish that I had the DAO version ) , I leave the safety on the right hand index finger mode . I don't know if the owner of the shop was blowing smoke , but he said that it was designed to be carried in such a manner and that the safety/decock was meant to be operated by the thumb and forefinger of the opposing hand , over the frame . Mine did not like WWB from the get go but has been 100% on the CorBon , Gold Dots , Law Man and S&B that I've run through it . I've found it to be surprisingly accurate : shoot it from a rest at 25 years . I only use the flip down mag as a range mag : I have big hands and am most comfortable wrapping my pinky around the bottom . The first time I held one , I tried to get my entire mitt onto the flip grip and thought it was terrible - for those that thought the same thing , either try it with the flush mag or with one of the adaptors that allows it to take 96 ( or 92 in 9mm ) magazines . I haven't had a problem with Beretta or Malaysian 92 mags in mine . I agree , it's a good pistol for the money : they got , and still get , their fair share of bad mouthing but people should take the time to actually shoot one and they might just be surprised . I'm not at all unhappy with the $379 it cost and the mag adaptors are only $9 - if nothing else a 9000S in 9mm can be a good quality , 17 round range blaster for a decent price .

Concerning its looks , perhaps it's from being in The Matrix or Minority Report but my non-gunny friends think it's be coolest looking gun I own - even more than SIG's , Walthers , HK's and AR-15's - not exactly sure what that means though !

SouthpawShootr
January 1, 2005, 09:38 AM
After you've worked with the safety for a while it will get easier. I think it's a cross between learning to manipulate it from the right angle and break-in of the pistol. I have a 9mm and I think it's great. Not quite great enough to cause me to retire my Glock 26 for routine carry but still pretty damn good. I paid right at $320 for mine and still consider it one of my better deals. I grateful to Beretta for finally, finally dovetailing that front sight as standard. I like my 92FS Inox, but the front sight disappears, it costs a fortune fot get night sights mounted, and there's not enough metal there for a proper dovetail. The only other thing I'd like to see for this gun is some 12 round standard caps. They were made, but there like hen's teeth.

BTW, I don't think this gun was used in the Matrix (maybe I missed it). Trinity was using dual Beretta 84F or 85F in the original movie and I think I saw her with a 92 in the second one. This gun was used in Minority Report and looked pretty good.

outofbattery
January 1, 2005, 12:50 PM
:D

http://www.posternow.org/images/imagel/m/m14310.jpg

WhoKnowsWho
January 1, 2005, 03:09 PM
I've seen these for a pretty good price, but I just thought it felt way too wide to hold comfortably. They look neat though!

Alan Fud
January 1, 2005, 06:17 PM
How thick is it? I'm not asking about how well it fits the hand because I have large hands and double stacks are not a problem for me but more from a perspective of how much it will bulge under a shirt.

Doug S
January 1, 2005, 06:40 PM
Prior to getting my G26, I considered the 9000. The deciding factor for me was width. I looked at the G26 & Beretta side by side, & to my surprise the Beretta actually made the G26 look "dainty". The G26 being plenty wide enough for my taste was the one I chose. Still I'm tempted by the Beretta everytime I see one because the price seems so reasonable. Do they have a reputation for reliability? If so, I might overlook the girth and pick one up one of these days.

SouthpawShootr
January 1, 2005, 06:58 PM
Mine has been reliable from get go.

BLiTzNicK
January 1, 2005, 06:59 PM
The pistol is about about the same thickness a Glock 30. Expect the same type of buldge. The safetys obviously stick out past the frame, but as far as I'm concerned this doesn't really affect concealibility.

I don't know about their reputation for being reliable, as everything I've ever read about them is a complaint about thickness, and the stiffness of the safety. It is a Beretta, and that's gotta count for something.

Big Bad Wolf
January 2, 2005, 02:09 AM
The 9000S was used a lot in Minority Report.

I had one in 9mm for awhile and I really liked it. Definitely an under-rated gun. I heard the Beretta has discontinued them but I am not sure if that is true or not.

wally
January 2, 2005, 09:35 AM
I think the 9000s is too thick in the slide to be a good CCW gun, but othrwise I like them. Have one in S&W .40 as a "car gun" and one in 9mm for cheap practice.

I particularly like the fact that the safety can be applied with the slide locked back. My wife needs cocked and locked as she can't pull the trigger on most guns in DA mode, and when she can, accurate shooting is out of the question.

Accuracy is very good for the size and short sight radius. Ours have been reliable except for a few failure to extracts wtih Wolf or aluminum Blazer ammo -- did I mention I like cheap shooting :)

Can't beat the quality for the price, run $330-340 at gun shows around here.

--wally.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 9000S Range Report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!