Light loads in Rem 1100

PDA

spook
January 2, 2005, 01:35 PM
I have a 12 guage Remington 1100 with 2 3/4" chamber and the gun will be used for shooting clays (5 stand). I'm seeking advice on tuning it for very light loads as I've become less recoil tolerent with age. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Light loads in Rem 1100" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HSMITH
January 2, 2005, 02:15 PM
Do you handload?

My 1100 works well with any 7/8 ounce International type load, and with most 7/8 ounce target loads. The AA Superlites (I think that is what they are called) are a little spotty on reliability, but almost no recoil at all. I have not found a factory 1 ounce load it won't cycle, and recoil is very light. With handloads I have shot 3/4 ounce loads with 100% cycling and almost no recoil.

You are two steps ahead already with the 1100, a great shotgun and IMO the softest shooting auto out there.

spook
January 2, 2005, 03:50 PM
I don't reload for shotgun.

My 1100 doesn't come close to cycling with the Winchester superlight loads which is the load I would prefer to use. Although I bought the gun used it had seen almost no use and perhaps it will function better with light loads with more break-in.

jerryd
January 2, 2005, 04:05 PM
I remember reading in one of the sporting clays magazines, that you have to enlarge the gas ports but i cant find the article, maybe try a search. :)

HSMITH
January 2, 2005, 08:36 PM
You could enlarge the gas port, but it will batter the heck out of gun if heavier loads are used. You should try a few more loads before opening the ports up, or get a barrel specifically for use with the superlites and only them to open up the port on.

If you handload it is quite easy to get light loads working well, slower powders maintain higher pressures further downbarrel and cycling is improved.

If you enjoyed reading about "Light loads in Rem 1100" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!