Learning to reload .. first post

PDA

spalit
January 3, 2005, 08:56 PM
Hi,

I just started with reloading, and wow, is it fun.. :evil: loaded 50 .308 rounds for my new Tikka T3 (yes, yes, it's the non-exploding kind :rolleyes: ) . I'm using a Lee Dipper since i'm loading for consistency and practice rounds for now - it is just so simple to use, a Lee turret 4-station press (neck sizer -> charger -> bullet seater -> crimp die). 38.46 gr of H4895. Sierra 168gr MK bullets, Black Hills cases from my first (and hopefully only :evil: ) 3 boxes of factory ammo.

I'd like to thank all the contributors on this forum, for all the very interesting info I was able to pull up while lurking.. great stuff, I learnt lots..!

I do have a question.. here's what i figured is the fastest and safest way for me to reload - comments, suggestions welcome on how i can improve on this

1) I setup 3 bins for the bullets. first bin is only for dirty used brass.
2) I de-prime, neck-size, do a quick check to make sure neck is tight enough - so no loose bullets. I had a few in my first batch.
3) Then I clean the primer pocket, fix brass to zip-trim: then trim, chamfer, clean inside of neck, then polish with some scotch brite.. (love those shiny bullets ) Put brass in second bin.
4) I do this for all brass. Now I can put away the dirty brass bin.
5) On a clean benchtop, I hand prime all cleaned sized brass with the Lee hand prime. It goes pretty quick, and lets me focus on just priming, so i can count the primers in the tray, no powder or fouling or brass chips lying around. All primed shells now go in third bin.
6) After putting primers away, I charge each shell with the dipper, letting the powder flow into the cavity, then use a business card to cut it. Then I seat the bullet, crimp, and put each finished cartridge away in the shell box. I do weigh the charges every so often, just to make sure I'm not too far off the mark.

I figure this way, I get the hard work (cleaning, sizing) done in one batch over a few days if need be. I dont have to worry about primers/powders etc.. Priming by hand just feels safer to me, and I do it without any powder present. Then charging and bullet seating just seemed to be one natural activity.. besides, the lee turret (originally bought for my .357) doesn't auto-index well with the long .308 case.. go figure!

So how am I doing so far in my procedures..? :) I figure there's folks on this board reloading since before I was born, so this is nothing new to most.

If you enjoyed reading about "Learning to reload .. first post" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
oneshooter
January 3, 2005, 09:14 PM
Welcome to THR.
First off you sound like you have a pretty good system set up.

#3 There is no need to trim on each loading. I trim for my Garands every 4 loadings. Also you will find that a vibrator cleaner is a lot easier,especially when you have 200-300 rds to clean. A

#6 A powder measure is a real time saver. I dump a slightly light charge and put on the scale, use a trickler to bring it up. I shoot Highpower so this may not be right for you.

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

spalit
January 3, 2005, 09:24 PM
I do have a powder measure, and will probably land up getting a trickler - particulalry when i start working up the loads. Just haven't used it yet. No plans on getting into Highpower, not yet anyways.. but with all the money I'm saving on ammo - who knows - a new rifle might be in order to fill competition needs :evil:

Kamicosmos
January 3, 2005, 09:51 PM
You do have a powder scale right? The dippers are good to get you close, but really really need a scale.

If you have a scale, disregard this.

taliv
January 3, 2005, 09:52 PM
i concur. sounds like a good plan. i still do much the same thing when i load 308. i like to prep all my brass in a batch, and sometimes i will put the primers in as a batch. but i always seat a bullet immediately after putting powder in a case, as opposed to putting powder in all cases, then going back to seat all the bullets.

i also agree with oneshooter that a combination of dipper and trickler would serve you well. dip a half-grain less or so and then trickle the rest in. tricklers are cheap, and will get you a very accurate weight.

MaterDei
January 3, 2005, 10:00 PM
Fun, isn't it?

Welcome to our world. :)

spalit
January 3, 2005, 10:04 PM
taliv.. I think i just understand why you said (dipper + trickler.. ) doh! :banghead: I was wondering how to bridge the gap between what the dipper measures and getting up by a grain or so of weight.

Having said that.. what brand trickler comes recommended.. ?

HSMITH
January 3, 2005, 11:21 PM
Spend some money on a trickler, get an RCBS made of METAL or a Redding. Any other older METAL trickler works good. The newer and/or cheaper ones made of plastic suck. They are very easy to tip over, even from just turning the handle. They can be made to work good by putting a handfull of lead shot in the bottom cavity or some cast bullets and then smearing silicone in to keep them in place. I have a Hornady that I did this to and it works fine, but before I weighted the bottom it was a disaster looking for a place to happen. I still prefer my RCBS though.

Jim Watson
January 4, 2005, 12:07 AM
A teaspoon or a small dipper will get you started on the measure, then trickle system.
Or you could get some Ball or ball-type powder and load ammo. That stuff will measure so close as to make no difference.

taliv
January 4, 2005, 12:34 AM
i've been using the aforementioned plastic hornady trickler for a couple years. it doesn't exactly exude quality, but it gets the job done. i've never accidentally tipped it over.

even so, it's about the simplest, bottom-of-the-line design you could have, so i imagine just about any other trickler would be preferrable.

tex_n_cal
January 4, 2005, 01:03 AM
Fun ways to get more out of the Hobby:

digital scales are worth the money, as they save a lot of time.

Buy a copy of Pet Loads by Ken Waters, read it cover to cover even if you never load 99% of the calibers listed; the wisdom there is priceless, especially his thoughts on reading pressures.

Get a chronograph. It is a valuable and fun tool that will make fellow shooters envy and admire you at the range :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Learning to reload .. first post" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!