Bulgarian Mak shooting high

PDA

Ohen Cepel
January 3, 2005, 08:44 PM
I tried searching around and had no luck, sure the info is out there somewhere though, sorry.

My Bul. Mak is shooting about 6in high at 10yrds. Rear site is numbered 6. Are the rear sites meant to bo switched out to bring it to point of aim? If so, what are the site increments and does anyone know where I can find rear sites?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Bulgarian Mak shooting high" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
albanian
January 3, 2005, 11:41 PM
Sounds like my Bulg Mak. :barf: Mine shot about 10" high and a few inches to the right at 10 yards. It also couldn't do much better than palm sized groups that that close range. I couldn't see getting that much adjustment out of those tiny sights so I got rid of it for a loss. I was not sorry I sold it by I was sorry that I paid $200 for it! At $100, it would have been no big deal and I probably might have kept it just to have one.

Mine also had a really bad trigger in SA and DA, heavy and gritty and the controls almost broke your fingers off when you engaged them.

My advice is to get some adjustable sights because it sounds like your gun is too far off to fix with the stock sights. If you don't want to spend the jack, sell or trade it on a Bersa .380. The Bersa outclasses the Mak in every way and they are just a few bucks more. Sometimes they are the same price now that Maks have gone up in price. The Bersa also shoots ammo that is available everywhere and it is often much cheaper and has more choice in terms of loads.

Tecolote
January 4, 2005, 12:10 AM
How are you sighting in? Does it do the same with all ammo? Mak sights are set for a 6 o'clock hold.

Mak triggers are rough out of the box. You need to make sure that you removed all cosmoline and that you lubed properly. A drop of lube on the hammer and trigger pivots and on the sear will make the trigger smoother. It usually takes around 500 rounds for the parts to wear in and for the trigger to get very smooth.

No better place for Mak parts than www.makarov.com

MrTuffPaws
January 4, 2005, 12:32 AM
They are set for the 6 o'clock sight picture, but the mak also makes me do strange things when I shoot it. For some reason, I sometimes jerk the pistol up when shooting. I don't know why.

Caseless
January 4, 2005, 01:22 AM
6 o'clock sight picture minus two inches downward seems to do the trick for my Bulgie Mak at 12 yards. The blowback action in this little beast really bites without the MekaWrap grip on. :)

Clean97GTI
January 4, 2005, 02:54 AM
Makarov's don't have the best triggers. For the prices they go for, you can't really expect them to.

Put some rounds through it and you'll feel the parts smooth up. :)

Oh, new sights might help out a lot. You could also drop it off at a gunsmith for some TLC.

Don't bother with a Bersa. They function flawlessly, are more comfortable and lack any sort of character. :neener:

Murphster
January 4, 2005, 07:49 AM
May be the nature of the beast. My Bulgarian Makarov shot high as well. Easily fixed. Once I decided on what ammo I was going to use (Wolf & reloads) I took a file to the range and lightly filed off the top of the rear sight until it shot to POA. File a (very) little, shoot, check impact, repeat. Then I put a little cold blue on the sights. Was initially a bit hesitant to do this, but it worked and looked fine. (While I was at it, I also rounded off the sharp corners on the rear sight.)

wingman
January 4, 2005, 08:23 AM
Please, not trying to flame anyone however if a mak doesnt shoot well
it is normally operator error. The mak with proper ammo is one of the most
accurate small auto's on the market. The biggest complaint is the stiff
double action trigger which can be smoothed with small amount of work.

One other problem I believe is some of the commerical ammo in 9x18
is not the best, I reload so for me not a problem. In the 20 or so that
have passed through my hands the sights have been right on. ;)

Ohen Cepel
January 4, 2005, 08:49 AM
Mine shoots very well, nice tight groups.

Both my brother and I shot it. Great groups for off hand, just 6in high.

Might have to get the file out. Course, might just live with it since it's consistant I'm not too tore up about it.

Mizar
January 4, 2005, 03:07 PM
The sights of Bulgarian military Makarovs are zeroed at 50 m. Change them with better sights. Is it possible, that you have a "recicled" one? With new barrel and finish? Wery often they shoot quite bad.

alamo
January 4, 2005, 03:33 PM
Here's how to lighten the DA trigger pull of your Mak. It works, I've done it. Mainsprings are cheap in the unlikely event you get carried away. See the postings by "CB3":

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22101&SearchTerms=tune,mainspring

denfoote
January 5, 2005, 04:15 PM
You can get different numbered sights from www.makarov.com .
E-mail them, tell them what problem you are having and they will suggest a sight. They cost about $10. I got one awhile back for my Bulgie. If you don't want to do that, experiment with different bullet weights. I'm sure you will find the one the gun was originally sighted for! :)

Missouri Mule
January 6, 2005, 10:43 PM
As mention earlier ...I beleive the Makarov sights are regulated for a 6 o'clock sight picture.

Also mine seem to be fairly ammo sensitive regarding poa vs. poi.
They certainly seem to be individuals with there own personalities.

But I love em!! ;)

Big Gay Al
January 7, 2005, 01:11 PM
Back when I had a Bulgarian Mak (sniff, sniff) mine shot practically dead on at 7 yards. I got more bullseyes with that than I did with just about any other pistol I ever carried.

Damn I miss my Mak. :(

Catbird
January 8, 2005, 11:09 AM
Just FYI:

I bought my unissued Bulgie Mak last week. It shoots tight groups to POA with 95 grain Barnaul JHP ammo @ 10 yds., 15 yds. and 25 yds.

wasrjoe
January 8, 2005, 01:13 PM
My Makarov shoots high as well. .380 (not by choice, but by availability :p) Special Edition. Shoots pretty centered, however.

mainmech48
January 9, 2005, 12:26 PM
I have two Maks, a Bulgie and a Russian IJ-70 commercial. Both will shoot into 2.5" or less at 25 yds (when I'm having a 'good-eye' day), and have been absolutely reliable in function.

Mine shot dead-on for windage with the stock sights. The Bulgie was a tad off (3-4") for elevation at 25 yds using my customary center hold. Going to 6 o'clock explained that. The Russian has the clunky adjustable rear, so it wasn't an issue.

The DA pulls were uninspiring (to say the least) OTB, but have smoothed up nicely with use and proper lubrication. SA has a touch of creep, but breaks clean and is a light 3#. IMO, it could actually use to be a bit heavier for CCW, but that's just personal preference.

My major beef with the Bulgie's sights was that they were tiny, shiney, and hard for my middle-aged eyes to get a good fix on at times. I sent it off to Makarov.com for a set of non-tritium XO sights with the smaller dot up front. This was prompted by both a temporary surplus of disposable cash and the wife's observation that she shot it better and more comfortably than her S&W snubby and might want to switch for her CCW.

Arguing with women or the weather is a losing proposition, IME. All the sweet reason in the world doesn't seem to affect either once they're set on something.

Made a huge difference in speed and practical accuracy out to 20 yds or so. Now shoots dead-on with center hold and Hornady 95 gr. HPs, and infinitely quicker to get good hits with. Not very cost-efficient on a $150 pistol, but makes her happy and me worry less if she's a little late coming home from the city.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bulgarian Mak shooting high" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!