In search of a crossdraw holster

PDA

muleshoe
March 4, 2003, 12:34 PM
Who makes a good quality leather crossdraw for revolvers?

thanks...

If you enjoyed reading about "In search of a crossdraw holster" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
March 4, 2003, 01:43 PM
What particular revolver? Also, is this for open or concealed carry?

muleshoe
March 4, 2003, 02:11 PM
7.5" Redhawk

Open carry as it will be strictly for hunting.

Old Fuff
March 4, 2003, 02:40 PM
Any number of companies. I suggest you consider a "pancake" style that rides the gun higher (the trigger guard is entirely above the belt) and makes it easier to carry while seated in a car or truck. I believe El Paso Saddlery (www.epsaddlery.com) can fix you up. They also make several other styles of crossdraw holsters.

Blueduck
March 4, 2003, 08:24 PM
I have a Bianchi Cyclone for my 19. It's ok and I'm not looking to replace it but frankly I think you could do better for about the same amount of money from a number of "semi-custom" places.

Airweight
March 4, 2003, 11:30 PM
not meaning to take over the thread...but does anybody have recommendations for a quality concealed carry crossdraw holster for 2" snubbies (640-1 and 442)?

Standing Wolf
March 4, 2003, 11:49 PM
I have a Kramer (http://www.kramerleather.com) cross-draw holster for my Detective Special that works just fine. It's well made, fits the gun perfectly, and was delivered on time.

forquidder
March 5, 2003, 12:18 AM
Try www.desantisholster.com they have a hunting holster that can be used both crossdraw and strong side. They make one for a 7 1/2" superblackhawk that would probably fit your gun.

Dave Williams
March 5, 2003, 06:56 AM
In his book about snub nosed revolvers, Ed Lovette recommends crossdraw IWB holsters from Alessi (Talon)and Bell Charter Oak (copy of Talon).

www.rfholsters.com
www.bellcharteroakholsters.com

Dave

Mannlicher
March 5, 2003, 04:23 PM
For Cross draw, open carry of my hunting handguns, I prefer the custom leather work of Tactical Leather, in Micanopy Fl. They have made several of my cross draw, full flap holsters for me. One feature I like is the ability to attach a sling to the holster, that I can wear across my shoulder. I hunt a lot in swamps, and wearing the handgun this way keeps it out of the water when wading. It just attaches with two chicago screws, and the shoulder strap has a loop that snaps around the belt to hold it steady.

For CCW, I like the Sam Andrews, Tension Saddle model. These work well for me in cross draw

Old Fuff
March 5, 2003, 06:10 PM
Years ago many detectives carried Colt or S&W snub-nose revolvers in cross-draw holsters (remember “Dragnet” and Sgt. Joe Friday?) Anyway those days are gone, but many of the holsters will be found at gun shows in some exhibitor’s surplus box. Next time you go to a show look around, especially what’s in boxes under the table. If you find something the price will probably be reasonable. I have a collection of this stuff and nothing cost over $15.00.

muleshoe
March 5, 2003, 06:41 PM
Thanks guys, I'm wandering through the sites you've suggested. Has anyone had any experience with Kirkpatrick Leather? Their crossdraw looks very nice.

Old Fuff
March 5, 2003, 06:53 PM
>> Has anyone had any experience with Kirkpatrick Leather? <<

Yes, a growing company in Texas that does excellent work. They've been around forever and are now doing particularly well doing leatherwork for cowboy action shooters. Never-the-less their "modern" stuff is equally good.

JoeHatley
March 5, 2003, 08:02 PM
You may want to check out the Bianchi model 111 Cyclone. Excellent quality, and you can get a good price at www.midwayusa.com

www.bianchi-intl.com/images/prod_large/Hip_Holsters/111%20Cyclone.jpg

Good Luck...

Joe

frankie357
March 5, 2003, 11:12 PM
I have a Bianchi #111 Cyclone that I use on my 586 l-comp. It works great and also fits a Ruger GP 100 3 "

If you enjoyed reading about "In search of a crossdraw holster" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!