I've got this deer hide...

PDA

D.W. Drang
March 4, 2003, 11:59 AM
... in the freezer. Been there for a couple of years now. And I need to get it tanned, or LSW is going to tan mine! :what:
Any suggestions as to how I find someone who can do that? Do taxidermists do it? (Seems unlikely, although maybe one could point me in the right direction...) Do they list "tanneries" in the yellow pages, and if so, would a tannery do one pelt?

Of course, if someone here from the Puget Sound (South King Conty preferably, but not necessarily) area knows where I could get it done, that wuld be the best help...

TIA

If you enjoyed reading about "I've got this deer hide..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
meathammer
March 4, 2003, 01:23 PM
My Dad and I usually took our deer hides to a local tannery/leather company and traded a hide for a pair of gloves for example. Deer hides have gone down in value in the last few years. I'm sure they would tan the hide for you, but it might be costly. I actually had a deerskin jacket made (my high school graduation present). It took about 9 deer hides to make it. I guess I would call around, maybe ask a taxidermist if there is a place locally to tan it for you. Sorry, if that wasn't much help. Just trying to give you some ideas.

dongun
March 4, 2003, 03:58 PM
A taxidermist can send it to the tannery for you. It'll cost about $50.

scotjute
March 4, 2003, 04:27 PM
For $8.95 you can get a bottle of Hide Tanning Formula (good for 1 deer hide). Check out website at : www.sullivansline.com
for more info.
I haven't tried it yet but intend to get a couple of bottles. Let us know the results.

gun-fucious
March 5, 2003, 02:50 PM
http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/teacher/highered/crafts/craft20.htm

Jaegermeister
March 8, 2003, 05:34 PM
You can mail it to Uber glove in Owatonna, Minnesota. They do a wonderful job.

www.uberglove.com

I'm 30 and have had about 15 deer hides done there. I grew up about 10 miles north of their plant. Lots of deer in southeast Minnesota.

I suggest the dark brown tan because it doesn't get as dirty looking as cream colored leather. They make custom gloves and mittens too.

thumbtack
March 10, 2003, 12:20 AM
If you want tot do it yourself checkout http://www.braintan.com

If you enjoyed reading about "I've got this deer hide..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!