Colt Woodsman age and value?

PDA

rWt
January 6, 2005, 02:53 PM
There is an Colt Woodsman Target model coming up at a local estate auction, serial number 49946.

Can someone help me identify it's age and value?

Thanks. Dick

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Woodsman age and value?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
January 6, 2005, 07:17 PM
More info needed.
There are several Woodsman "Target" models.

The actual Woodsman Target has serial numbers that end with "S".

The Match Target has serials that START with "MT"

Then there are the Colt Targetman with serials ending with "C" and "S".

The just plain old Woodsman with a straight serial number of 49946, would have been made in 1926.
The numbers that year started at 45200, and ended around 50999.

Standing Wolf
January 6, 2005, 07:23 PM
Once again, dfariswheel is on top of it in a flash!

The values of Colt Woodsman pistols vary widely, and condition isn't always an apparent factor. I'd suggest noodling around the auction sites to get a feel for current asking prices.

I've been in the market for one myself for years.

rWt
January 6, 2005, 07:51 PM
Thank you!

Dick

GunStudent
April 11, 2007, 03:04 PM
I was told by my local gun dealer that a Target Model 1st Series Woodsman would have a bullseye engraved on the gun somwhere. Has anyone out there ever heard of this. I get a feeling he's BSing me because where wheeling and dealing, I know I have a Target Model but he doesn't want it to be a Target Model because of the significant increase in price over a non-Target Model.

GunStudent @ hrojj@gorge.net

Ala Dan
April 11, 2007, 03:19 PM
Att: dfariswheel is our "in house Colt expert; always giving accurate
information and full details without fail. I would like to take a moment
and thank him for his expertise~!

Jim Watson
April 11, 2007, 03:26 PM
The first series 1938-1947 Woodsman Match Target had the "bullseye" trademark on the breech end of its heavy barrel.
Not found on the Target model that I can tell.

Steve C
April 12, 2007, 02:49 AM
This website has a lot of information on the Colt Woodsman.
http://www.colt22.com/

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Woodsman age and value?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!