Met 1911 Tuner

PDA

kart racer
January 6, 2005, 06:04 PM
Anybody that gets a chance, needs to meet this man.I met him today and can truly say he is rarity in todays world.He took all the time and answered and explained in easy to understand terms all my questions.It's a good feeling knowing there is someone w/his knowledge close by.Believe whoever ya want about 1911's,but I know who really knows.Once again,a big thanks to tuner-I'm sure I wore out my welcome by the time I left today,but sure have a better understanding of how a 1911 works.Thanks again-if I can do anyhting for ya let me know.

If you enjoyed reading about "Met 1911 Tuner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.H. Lee
January 6, 2005, 06:09 PM
What about the turbo coffee? Ya didn't mention the turbo coffee. Does he have a special machine? Does he grind his own beans? Does he drink it black like God intended, or does he {{horrors}} pollute it with those flavored creamers that come in little packages? :confused:

kart racer
January 6, 2005, 06:12 PM
I'm not much of a coffee drinker,so I'd be lying if I said I knew.There was a coffe maker w/what looked like an old detroit blower on it :D though.

1911Tuner
January 6, 2005, 06:24 PM
Now Joe...Go on and tell the good folks about my welcomin' committee. :eek:
Woofwoofwoofwoofwoofwoofwoof!

Riley...I couldn't get him to go near my coffee. Wise lad... :D

ken grant
January 6, 2005, 06:39 PM
Loved my visit with Tuner,Kelie,collies and yorkie. Time sure does fly by when you are enjoying yourself.
Wish I lived nearby, I would try to bleed Tuner dry of info and not just about 1911s :D

kart racer
January 6, 2005, 06:39 PM
Yeah,he doesn't have to worry about anybody gettin' in his house,they'd never make it past the dogs or the guard cats..

ken grant
January 6, 2005, 06:40 PM
Even got along with the Turbo Cofee :neener:

1911Tuner
January 6, 2005, 06:57 PM
Labs and Collies and a Yorkie, oh my!

Ken...We've added another slipper gnawin' critter to the crew. Bobby is 13 weeks old. His mama was a Chiuahua mix, and his daddy was a Scottish Terrier. Bobby was the runt and tops the scales at a monstrous 2 pounds 3 ounces...but he thinks he's 10 feet tall and bulletproof. So black ya can't see him in the Collies' shadows.

That brings us to 9. Still tryin' to place the Pit/Lab/Boxer pup that I picked up
on the road last June... :rolleyes:

Jammer Six
January 6, 2005, 07:55 PM
It would be good to have someone like Tuner close by, but North Dakota, or North Carolina, or wherever it is (somewhere east of Idaho, so what does it really matter?) is most definitely NOT close by!

He lives so far away that when he fixed my slide, it came back with jet lag. :what:

Hey, Tuner! Starbucks!

19112XS
January 6, 2005, 09:57 PM
A visit to Tuner's is majic. He is very knowledgeable and patient. If your lucky he'll even add an extra scoop to the brew. His turbo coffee makes Starbucks taste like "ruint water."

JeffC
January 6, 2005, 11:10 PM
It would be good to have someone like Tuner close by, but North Dakota, or North Carolina, or wherever it is (somewhere east of Idaho, so what does it really matter?) is most definitely NOT close by!

He lives so far away that when he fixed my slide, it came back with jet lag. :what:

Hey, Tuner! Starbucks!

LOL....

1911Tuner
January 7, 2005, 06:29 AM
It's the talkin' Collies that make the trip worthwhile. I could charge admission. :D

Billy Sparks
January 7, 2005, 07:54 AM
When I visited I had to talk myself out of taking a collie home....Look honey I traded a Springfield for a collie....sigh

1911Tuner
January 7, 2005, 08:51 AM
Billy! If you're in the market for a dog, hit the link and go to available Collies.
There are three new arrivals that are great dogs. Sarge...the Blue Merle...
stole everybody's heart. His owner had to go do a tour in Iraq, and he put his dog in rescue. I'll donate a 50-pound bag of food if you'll go get one of my Collies... :cool:

ken grant
January 7, 2005, 09:33 AM
Sandra will come and get the Yorkie if Kelie will let it go. :D

Billy Sparks
January 7, 2005, 12:11 PM
If I had not promised my dog that she would be the only dog for a while I would in a heart beat.

R.H. Lee
January 7, 2005, 12:28 PM
I'd very much like to meet Tuner, but he might as well be in East Jerusalem he's so far away. Does he have a slow Southern drawl, and look at ya with kinda squinty eyes with his head cocked sideways?

KMKeller
January 15, 2005, 11:04 PM
Had me some of that Turbo coffee today. Not too bad. I would've gone for a second cup but they couldn't pry me off of the ceiling. The caffeine load gave Fed168 a headache... :o

I'll second what everyone else says here. 1911Tuner is a stand up guy and I've come to regard him very highly. Although, he couldn't talk me out of my Rand... but boy did he try. :eek:

1911Tuner
January 16, 2005, 06:36 AM
Yesterday, KMKeller thorougly rocked my world when he walked in and laid on my table what is without question the nicest Remington Rand that I've ever
seen. At first, I thought it might be an arsenal refinish...but I'm not so sure
now that I've regained my composure and thought about it a little. I'd rate the gun a solid 99.5% issue...No joke.

I begged...I cried...I made a perfectly ridiculous offer on the gun, but he wouldn't budge. I threatened to set my dogs on him...which was funny, since they were all sittin' around his feet and takin' turns layin' their chins in his lap...like they'd known him for years. Yep...Bona fide attack Collies... :rolleyes:

Looks like Fed168 will be comin' back soon to get his wheelie slicked up. :cool: Did ya notice how his eyes glazed over when he handled my Smiths? :D You come too! Bring my Rand back with ya!

KMKeller
January 16, 2005, 07:08 AM
Will do. Those wheelies were sweet. Best single action trigger I've ever felt on any guns. And that .41 Mag was VERY tempting.

np15cgg
January 16, 2005, 11:22 AM
Folks that can't make the pilgrimage to 1911Tuner's home really are missing something - and I don't necessarily mean the turbo-coffee and assorted furry (more and less) four- and three legged critters. The coffee is good (and please, don't let's start another discussion of Starbucks!), but the advice and wisdom is exceptional. Tuner and Kellie seem to get a goodly number of visits from forum members; pilgrims with little-to-no idea of what they're doin' (me) to those that do. Everybody reports that they enjoyed the visit, learned something, and were asked to take a dog with'em. Everybody appreciates the world-class hospitaliity. Now that's what I call real community.

Maybe it'd be worthwhile to ship Tuner around the country, turbo-coffe and all. Well, maybe with only two collies. Do you hear me Springfield?

ken grant
January 16, 2005, 12:50 PM
I would like to see a set of "TUNER'S COMMENTARIES" such as Jeff Cooper has.
He has posted enought over the years that they would last a long time.
Of course,that is if he has managed to save them :neener:

1911Tuner
January 16, 2005, 02:23 PM
Quote:

Everybody reports that they enjoyed the visit, learned something, and were asked to take a dog with'em.

Well..I pride myself on my hospitality, but I can't get rid of that dang dog to save my bacon! Looks like somebody would take pity on me sooner or later... :p

Come on! Help me out here guys! He really is a good little guy, and probably won't hit 50 pounds in his lifetime. :cool:

Fed168
January 16, 2005, 07:51 PM
Always learn something new and interesting. The coffee isn't for the weak of heart, and the 18 lb attack cat was on the prowl.

Yes, the slick, slick triggers.....

1911Tuner
January 16, 2005, 08:32 PM
Pssst! Fed! Snitch that Rand and bring it to me and I'll tweak your Smith and GIVE ya that Model 58...AND I'll throw in one of those 1991-A1s...AND a few magazines. :evil:

Jammer Six
January 16, 2005, 08:55 PM
I don't know...

'Tuner, how close is that Starbuck's? :neener:

KMKeller
January 16, 2005, 09:46 PM
Pssst! Fed! Snitch that Rand and bring it to me and I'll tweak your Smith and GIVE ya that Model 58...AND I'll throw in one of those 1991-A1s...AND a few magazines.

Tsk! Tsk! Dontcha know I brought him along for moral support? I'm the weak one here. :neener:

1911Tuner
January 16, 2005, 10:30 PM
Jammer asked:

'Tuner, how close is that Starbuck's?

A Starbucks? In King, NC?? ROFLMAO!!! That'd fly about like a concrete
weather balloon.

Kirk said:

I brought him along for moral support? I'm the weak one here.

Oh, I have ways of wearin' him down though...I saw the way he was eyeballin' that M-58 :scrutiny: He'll roll over in another week or two. :evil:

Fed168
January 17, 2005, 03:12 AM
Hmmmm...........

1911Tuner
January 17, 2005, 07:50 AM
Timmmmmberrrrrrrr!

KMKeller
January 17, 2005, 09:49 AM
Ha hAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I've changed the combination to my gunsafe. Interlopers beware.

Ya can't trust anyone these days!

Brian Williams
January 17, 2005, 10:03 AM
I'll tweak your Smith and GIVE ya that Model 58.
What do I have to do to get in on a deal like this, I am lusting after a shooter grade with PC grips.

And I Love Turbo Coffee.

If I bring Gus along would that help, Shes cute....

R.H. Lee
January 17, 2005, 11:37 AM
A Starbucks? In King, NC?? ROFLMAO!!! That'd fly about like a concrete
weather balloon.
Then you prolly don't have a Jamba Juice, either? :eek:

1911Tuner
January 17, 2005, 02:40 PM
Brian:

>[goodoleboyvoice] What do I have to do to get in on a deal like this, I am lusting after a shooter grade with PC grips<

You'd hafta have a Rand or an Ithaca equal to the one that Keller's got...
A Colt would also be good. A Union Switch in that condition would earn
all that I offered plus a personal slave for a year to do whatever pistol tweakin' you'd need. :cool:

Riley quipped:

>>Then you prolly don't have a Jamba Juice, either?<<

A what? :confused:

Keller declared:

Ha HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I've changed the combination to my gunsafe!

Thanks for the information. :cool: May I introduce my second-best friend...Semtex. :evil:

R.H. Lee
January 17, 2005, 03:02 PM
A what?
Jamba Juice
Where else can you get a Mango-a-go-go, a Kiwi Berry Burner, or a Peenya Kowlada? And, you get a free Juice Booster with every one! You really need to get out more. :p

Looks like there's one in Chapel Hill, and one in Charlotte
http://www.jambajuice.com/where/index.html?s=NC

1911Tuner
January 17, 2005, 06:13 PM
'Twas asked:

>Where else can you get a Mango-a-go-go, a Kiwi Berry Burner?<

:what: In Rural Hall or King???There'd be a traffic jam at the only stoplight
in town from people drivin' by just to look at a place like that...ROFL!!

Half the people here still live in the house that their great-grandpappy was born in...and farm the land! Ralph Cornatzer makes the best "juice" hereabouts...and it didn't come from no Kiwi.(Ain't that a big bird anyway?)
Fruit of the cornstalk...Yessir. I reckon ol' Ralph is a little past a hundred years old now. Nobody seems to know for sure...not even him. He's outlived
three wives, all 17 of his kids and half his grandkids. Last I heard, he had him a galfriend up at the VFW that he was gettin' kinda sweet on, so he could be linin' up on Miz Cornatzer #4. :rolleyes:

'Twas said:

Looks like there's one in Chapel Hill, and one in Charlotte.

I ain't surprised...College town and Sodom in the Piedmont. Liable to have a topless bar and one of them workout spas where they got machines instead of
real barbells like down at the Y. Last time the cops around here answered a call, it was a kid speedin' through King and all 4 of'em went to watch the chief
write the ticket.

Jamba Juice? Starbucks? I don't think so Riley... :neener:

Billy Sparks
January 18, 2005, 07:40 AM
Tuner I be careful about saying what won't make it to King and Rural Hall, it wasn't that long ago that where I live in Stanlyville was sorta on the rural side. I can still remember where the Sam's, WalMart, Lowes, etc is now was Graham's cow pasture. It is coming your way buddy.

1911Tuner
January 18, 2005, 07:57 AM
Quote:

>>was Graham's cow pasture. It is coming your way buddy<<

Hey Billy!

Yeah...I remember when Stanleyville was a wide spot in the road and the only
things there were the old pharmacy, Reynold's Garage, and Pap Tuttle's. :D
I'm hopin' it'll stop before it gets past the old railroad station in Rural Hall.
If it doesn't, I've got Plan B ready...Danbury, here I come! :cool:

About two years ago, some enterprisin' fool tried to get one of those coffee house type things goin' in King...right beside the VFW. :rolleyes: That
was a lonely place. The kids workin' there took more time tryin' to explain
to everybody what latte' was than it took to make it...and after they got through, the question was almost always: "You want HOW much for that little bitty cup? :what: OR: "Uh...Ya got Maxwell House or Folgers?" :D

KMKeller
January 18, 2005, 08:51 AM
Semtex? Pish. Bubble gum. I stir some in my coffee every morning before work.

R.H. Lee
January 18, 2005, 11:16 AM
Jamba Juice? Starbucks? I don't think so Riley... You're not the demographic, Tuner. Starbucks clientele are more Glock-packin' (although a good 1911 wit da bling-bling will get you there), BMW/Lexus drivin', between the buttcheeks nickel squeezin' folk. Jamba Juice customers are more likely to pick up a Kiwi Berry Burner after a stop at the health food store for sprouts and tofu, on their way to the anti nuclear rally. :p

That's an idea for a new flavor, though-"Ralph's Revenooer-Free Corn Squeezin's" :neener:

Walt Sherrill
January 18, 2005, 12:34 PM
Actually, there are several Starbucks in Winston-Salem (and one within walkin' distance of my house) -- and it only took me about 20 minutes (+/-) to get to Tuner's house (and I had never been there before).

So, with thermal cups...

Jammer Six
January 18, 2005, 12:57 PM
Twenty minutes?! :what:

A Seattleite can go through at least two mocha-breves in twenty minutes!

We're re-designing our streets, including our world famous viaduct, so that you're never more than TEN minutes from a Starbuck's.

Seven minute response time for heart attacks, and ten minutes from Starbuck's.

I love Seattle... :D

1911Tuner
January 18, 2005, 01:05 PM
Riley...if anybody around here packs a 1911, I can promise ya that it ain't gonna have any bling on it...Might not even be very much of the original finish left. :p Several of'em carry single-action Colts...and I ain't talkin'
the new generation reissiue guns either. :p (Down Fuff!)

Walt...I try to stay away from Winston ever' chance I get. :eek:
But...like Billy said...It's encroachin' on the last Bucolic Bastion in the Northern Piedmont. :cuss:

Kirk...I reckon that your Bang Coffee trumps my Turbocoffee. :neener:

R.H. Lee
January 18, 2005, 01:05 PM
Jammer-What are ya doin' at Starbucks when ya got Seattle's Best??? Or are they the same-beans grown organically on the eastern side of the mountain, between 7000'-9000', hand picked by a virgin (only between her cycles), and brewed only with distilled water? :p

ruger357
January 18, 2005, 01:22 PM
Never met him in person, but he did help me a few times with 1911 questions. A real stand up guy who has helped countless people on this forum.

Old Fuff
January 18, 2005, 01:39 PM
Tuner:

>> Several of'em carry single-action Colts...and I ain't talkin' the new generation reissiue guns either. <<

THEY DO ... ?????????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Inform them that they can't do such without a special Arizona permit, and that Da' Fuff is the issuing authority.

First thing I need too do is inspect these six-shooters to be ... ah ... well ... sure they are safe ...

Have to ... Its for the children ... :scrutiny: :D

R.H. Lee
January 18, 2005, 01:42 PM
Ya gotta carry 'em hammer down on an empty chamber, so they're only 'five shooters'.

Old Fuff
January 18, 2005, 01:52 PM
What'cha mean?? That will only happen if ya' drop 'um or something ... :uhoh: :D :D

Why ya' think them ol' timers had full-flap holsters?? :evil:

But you do have a point ... Tis' another good reason fer me to inspect 'um.

ken grant
January 18, 2005, 03:09 PM
Sure would like to be a fly on the wall if they ever meet FTF :what:

Old Fuff
January 18, 2005, 04:37 PM
IF I KNOW TUNER ...

He'll sell tickets ... but not before he hides his Colt's and 'Rands - not to mention certain Smith & Wessons ... :neener: :evil: :D

1911Tuner
January 18, 2005, 05:08 PM
Fuff said:

Not before he hides his Colt's and 'Rands - not to mention certain Smith & Wessons<

And Ithacas and Winchesters and... :evil: :neener:

Old Fuff
January 18, 2005, 07:50 PM
YA' DIRTY RAT ... !!! :cuss:

>> And Ithacas and Winchesters and... <<

So you've concealed the long guns have you ... :fire:

And me being so in-o-cent I would have never suspected ... not one little bit .. :uhoh:

But you'll rue the day ... :fire: They don't call me a grumpy ol' man for nothing ... :evil: :uhoh:

1911Tuner
January 18, 2005, 08:01 PM
Fuff whined:

>So you've concealed the long guns have you<

But of course! Ya oughta know that a Jarhead is first and foremost a rifleman.

Can anybody say "Eleven Bang-Bang"? HEW-RAH! :p

Remind me to tell ya about my '03A3 Springfield sometime...The one with the pristine 4-groove, star-grade barrel... :neener:

Jammer Six
January 18, 2005, 08:19 PM
Seattle's Best Coffee?! :what:

You HAVE to be kidding me...

Not on our jobsite...

SBC is for posers, wannabes, gun shop commandos and short, dim women. :D

Starbuck's is for Real Men, and the women who hang with them.

Old Fuff
January 18, 2005, 08:26 PM
Star Gaged Barrel ... ?? :eek:

That's hitting below the belt .... Don't 'spose it has a "C" stock do it ???

Can't take it any more .... :confused: Maybe I can find something strong to put in the coffee ... :eek:

(Fuff slowly crawls back to cave ... )

BluesBear
January 18, 2005, 08:37 PM
Well if you can't get John Conti in your area,
And since Dunkin' Donuts fresh ground by the pound is such a well guarded secret,

I guess $tar$ucks or Seattle's Breast would have to do.

But then again... I'm just a tea swillin' Brit-Billy™ so what do I know.

1911Tuner
January 19, 2005, 05:47 AM
Fuff asked:

>That's hitting below the belt .... Don't 'spose it has a "C" stock do it ???<

Nah...That was the sad part. It just had a regular old issue stock. :(

Now for the real kicker...My father bought it through the NRA back in the early 60s...for 20 bucks + shippin'. :p The mailman brought it. Remember those days?

Billy Sparks
January 19, 2005, 07:54 AM
Don't know about the $20 part but last night I came home to a Garand waiting for me in the carport. Have not even had a chance to unpack it yet. Had to go to Dobson last night for a Firefighter Instructor upgrade. Talk about a dark ride home on 74 last night at 10:00.

Old Fuff
January 19, 2005, 09:16 AM
ALLRIGHT YOU LOW-LIFE TUNER - - I GOT'CHA NOW ...

Because I got one those NRA/DCM Springfields too ... :eek: :neener:

Also got a 1911 .45 pistol for $17.95 plus shipping - direct to my door of course, as there was no 1968 GCA.

So there .... :D :D

KMKeller
January 19, 2005, 09:21 AM
Now we know what puts the "Old" in Old Fuff... :eek:

ken grant
January 19, 2005, 05:21 PM
I guess I'm pretty old as well. In the 60's I signed up mywife,my father,my grandfather and my father-in law.
I bought 5 1911a1's,5 carbines and 5 03A3's. Best I could tell they were all brandnew and all the carbines had Para-stocks.

WISH I HAD THEM ALL NOW :mad:

Old Fuff
January 19, 2005, 06:17 PM
Ah yes, those were the days ... before Lydon B. Johnson became president, and decided to end the DCM program because he was mad at the NRA for opposing passage of the 1968 GCA and other anti gun/gun control proposals he and the Democrats were pushing at the time. Little did he know what his little war would cost his party in the long run. If he'd known that eventually there would be a Republican president from Texas, and that he'd be elected for two terms, ol' LBJ might have fainted dead away. :fire:

sm
January 19, 2005, 06:58 PM
*grinning*

Never met either Tuner or Old Fuff in person. Only through the Forum, PM or Email. On my "list of stuff to do" tho".

I can do coffee, I spoil dogs with peppermint ( I'm their newest bestest friend, and they retrieve my birds first) , I tip my head to the ladies and have that Southern Respect for mentors, and elders.

Just wondering if either Tuner or Old Fuff "do shotguns". Got to figure they have an "old antiquated" Model 97 Win, Ithaca 37 or somesuch just collecting dust...be happy to take care of them for ya...to keep the dust down around the house of course... ;)

Dean Taylor
January 20, 2005, 08:36 PM
Tunner,

I assume as an active smith and forum moderator you are going to the Shot Show next week. I would like to meet you. We can also examine my latest 1911. I will also buy you lunch but I do not drink coffee.

Dean
deanrtaylor@att.net
410-952-7848

1911Tuner
January 20, 2005, 09:18 PM
Sorry Doc..I won't be at the show. [EDITED: Too much information. Fatigue tinged with a little anger sometimes tends to alter my judgement. Apologies} If you ever make it down to North Cackalackeyhe probably won't be , look me up. I'll show ya what real barbecue is...My treat. :cool:

Oh yeah! Once more...I'm not a gunsmith and I'm not a pistolsmith. I'm an armorer.

Cheers!

Dean Taylor
January 20, 2005, 09:34 PM
Tunner,

My best to your mother.

I lived 9 years in N.C. Thats where Bill Gately (look in the Chesty Puller book) taught me about Thompsons.

Barbaque I know - eating and making including butchering, cooking and pulling. There is only one place here to get the real thing. I love it but it is not heart healthy.

Dean
deanrtaylor@att.net
410-952-7848

np15cgg
January 21, 2005, 03:41 PM
I'm Texas born and bred. I live in North Carolina and love the State; wouldn't leave it for the world. The folks are great, the country is grand - but pig cooked in vinegar-based sauce ain't barbeque. :neener:

Tuner, I'm not gonna hold your mistake against you. It's not that NC pig isn't good - it surely is. It's just not barbeque. Barbeque requires some steer, my Grandpa's secret rub and sauce, and the judicious application of Mesquite heat.

And that's the way it is.

1911Tuner
January 21, 2005, 03:53 PM
Leave it to a dang Texican to screw up a perfectly good barbecue... :neener:

Hickory smoked...nice and slow...with Venison in a 50/50 mix, with good Lexington-style sauce. A little Mesquite in the fire wouldn't hurt anything as long as it's not overstated.

Vinegar? Wheredahell have you been eatin' barbecue??? :confused:

R.H. Lee
January 21, 2005, 03:57 PM
Well, there's Southern BBQ, and there's Texas BBQ, and there's Santa Maria style BBQ. They're all good, but different. Here's our local version:

http://www.mosbbq.com/

sm
January 21, 2005, 05:46 PM
California BBQ . :confused: Now I have heard everything . :evil:

I Forgot I was in NC once. I was headed back from Jamacia, well technically Miami, and the weather got real nasty. We took a detour and had to land...I guess dropping 20 ft a bunch of times will make stuff work loose on a plane. Anyway we stayed and the Airlines sent out for BBQ.

Okay - the BBQ was good - what is the deal with a mustard type sauce??? I damn near got slapped by a AA employee from the UK.when I asked if this was a hot as it got. :uhoh: Now really confused as to what a lady from the UK knows about BBQ...now CA.

Here in AR we do BBQ. We do Beef , Pork , Chicken...hell we even have a HUGE annual event in Gilette AR " Coon Supper".

If it lopes, scoots, runs, flies or slithers - we BBQ it. :D

Sauce damn sure ain't got a mustard or vinegar touch to it either...

CA BBQ ...must have something to do with ferrets for pets... :neener:

R.H. Lee
January 21, 2005, 05:56 PM
Actually, it's not California BBQ. Mo went on a 3500 mile, 10 state tour through the 'barbecue belt' and brought back the best barbecue recipes. Beans, onion rings, coleslaw, pork ribs, pulled pork sandwiches, sweet potato pie. Here's where he went (wonder why he missed Texas and the Deep South?)
http://www.mosbbq.com/images/map.gif

np15cgg
January 21, 2005, 06:03 PM
Here's where he went (wonder why he missed Texas and the Deep South?)

'Cause he got lost?

:evil:

Oscar Orum
January 21, 2005, 07:09 PM
Hi Tuner,
Here I wuz with a opinion of you that should have be reserved only for the lawd himself and are putting the bad mouth on the Texicans. Ya know the members of this Republic like their fat back, grits and collards as well as any- body but they are epecially proud of their Bar- BQ lawd are they proud) :fire: , chili, and Tex-Mex. You might have to lose your place in line for cannonization unless you truly repent.
Lawd save us all.

1911Tuner
January 21, 2005, 07:13 PM
Ah repents, Oscar! Ah truly does...and Ah'd be beholdin' to ya if'n you'd
fetch me a big ol pot of that there Tex-Mex chili if'n ya ever get up in this neck of the woods...A bottle of real bygod Mezcal wouldn't hurt none either... :cool:

Oscar Orum
January 21, 2005, 07:35 PM
The lawd blesses you for shur, Tuner. I feel you truly repent of your transgression toward those Texican people. I would be much obliged to bring you the chili and somethin' to wash it down with. I'm a comin'. How do I get to your place?

1911Tuner
January 21, 2005, 07:47 PM
Oscar, mah fren...Jes' go to Memphis and pick up I-40 Eastbound. When ya get to Winston-Salem, hang a northbound on U.S.52 and when ya get to Pilot Mountain, pull off'n the side of the road and fire three shots into the air. I'll come getcha in the pickup truck, less'n it's rained hard and then we'll jes' hafta hike back up the hill. :cool:

Oscar Orum
January 21, 2005, 08:02 PM
Tuner,
Will get to making the chili and have some of the orginal Texicans gittin' the belly wash made. Will give you advance notice and ETA to be sure you are clear. You are back in the short list for cannonization maybe Spring or Summer.

1911Tuner
January 21, 2005, 08:08 PM
Oscar...Ah sho' nuff hope ya like dogs. Let me know when ya get ready to make the trip and I'll give ya specific directions straight to the front door.
That neighborhood in Austin, Tejas you hail from...Has it a name?

Oscar Orum
January 21, 2005, 08:47 PM
As Tom T Hall wrote, Ole dawgs, children, and watermelon wine are the only things you can depend on when your down.
I live in the Northwest part of Austin called Northwest Hills. A stone's throw from the intersection of Steck and MoPac (Loop 1). Have any connections in the area? I have an old friend in Durham who I havent seen in years and want to go visit. We spent a lot of time together 30 years ago in Houston.

R.H. Lee
January 21, 2005, 08:47 PM
Would you guys please speak in English? :p

1911Tuner
January 21, 2005, 10:19 PM
Oscar asked:

Have any connections in the area?

I got a couple of Scottish cousins that'll treat ya rite. ;) Durham ain't far...
Just down the road a piece. You might be able to find suitable lodgings if ya
talk to'em in a meaningful way.

Riley...We'uns is speakin' Reb-Bonics. I'll give ya a crash course if'n ya ever git out this way.

Lesson 1: Dog is pronounced "dawg"...not "dahg". :p

BluesBear
January 21, 2005, 11:47 PM
Now you can Barbeque Pork, You can BBQ Beef, You can even Bar-B-Q Mutton and Goat.

But you CANNOT Barbeque Chicken. Or any other bird (except Ostrich).

Why, you ask? (Yes you did I heard you.)

Because the flavors will not permiate the meat.

You can COAT chicken with BBQ sauce, you can smoke it for hours, and in some cases it will even taste good, but it still ain't barbeque.

Jammer Six
January 22, 2005, 02:04 AM
I don't believe either one of them speak English.

Therefore, no, they can't speak English. :neener:

Fed168
January 22, 2005, 03:55 AM
Mind that, proper BBQ sauce is vinegar based, on pork, not that stuff basted in tomato base. And certainly not cooked with gas.

np15cgg
January 22, 2005, 06:15 AM
Mind that, proper BBQ sauce is vinegar based, on pork, not that stuff basted in tomato base. And certainly not cooked with gas.

It's poor misguided souls like Fed168 that makes me glad Al Gore invented the internet. ;) No, Fed, that pig that you get at Bullock's or anywhere else in the Bull City ain't BBQ. It's real good, but it ain't BBQ. I understand your confusion. Heck, before I moved to NC, I thought I understood the game of basketball.

For my NC brothers/sisters - and anyone else who'd care to learn - I would gladly provide a tutorial on what BBQ is and ain't at the 'Que Shack.

A bottle of real bygod Mezcal wouldn't hurt none either...

Tuner, again, God bless Al Gore. Mezcal is fine, but it is not meant to accompany chili. Well yes, in Hollywood it does, but remember their 1911s just fire blanks. It is beer, most likely Shiner or another premier brew, that brings out all of the Lord's best intentions in chili. Mezcal should go before or after.

A warning, Tune. I'm sure Oscar is a fine individual and means well. But unless you've played ball or coached at UT, cannonization in Texas just ain't possible. Unless artillery is involved. :p

1911Tuner
January 22, 2005, 09:36 AM
np15cgg said:

Tuner, again, God bless Al Gore. Mezcal is fine, but it is not meant to accompany chili.

Mah fren...my experiences with Tex-Mex chili and Mezcal have proven two things to me...

One is that when the chili hits ya, you don't give a rip what you use to wash it off your palate. :fire:

Two is that, after about 5 hits of real Mezcal, all thoughts of "Which wine with which meat" go out the window. It numbs the pain and I can eat mo'
chili. Then I soon need more Mezcal...and I can eat mo' chili...and so on.
Pretty soon, I can not only execute a fine hat-dance...I don't care who will remember it the next day. Plus, the chili has the added advantage of gettin' rid of any life that may be left in that little worm that brought on the feelings of invincibility. :D

Tequila! The milk of amnesia! Ariba!!!!

Fed168
January 22, 2005, 10:01 AM
No, you can't really get good stuff unless you hit Wilburs, Stephensons, Speedys, Allen and Sons. Bullocks is blah! :D

np15cgg
January 22, 2005, 02:31 PM
Fed said with some pretty impressive authority:

No, you can't really get good stuff unless you hit Wilburs, Stephensons, Speedys, Allen and Sons.

OK! I still don't think it's BBQ, but in the spirit of honest inquiry and an open mind, I promise to go and eat a bunch at all of these establishments. It's dangerous duty but I'll take the mission.

As for that reprobate, Tuner. Sure, you can wash down chili - aka the Gift - with mezcal (another gift, but recalling several mornings/afternoons after, I'm not so sure of the Giver :evil: ) but why? Chili is more than heat and meat. Man, there's taste there! I mean you can mix good scotch with Coke and it'll work, but why would you do it? Oh the tragedy of it all ... :neener:

BluesBear
January 22, 2005, 06:10 PM
I think the real debate of tomato based vs vinegar based boils down to the fact that REAL Barbeque sauce doesn't start out as CATSUP or KETCHUP or however you happen to spell that condiment in your area.

Most store bought glop that impersonate Barbeque sauce started out as reject catsup/ketchup.

Now a REAL Barbeque sauce CAN be tomato based and vinegar is an important component, in the proper porportion.

But ketchup based sauces are just too sweet and sissyfied.

And to say they taste just like real BBQ sauce would be like saying Franco-American Spaghetti-O's taste just like REAL Spaghetti.

And while Mexcal IS quite good with Barbegue if you're eating REAL Barbeque Bonded Bourbon is really the best way to go.

(sadly I just found out yesterday that Old Fitzgerald Bonded Bourbon isn't sold in Washington State. Now I have nothing to toast the memory of my dear late Father on his birthday. [Jan 25] If anyone out there happens to have some please drink a short OF & 7up on Tuesday to the memory of a great man for me.)

Oscar Orum
January 22, 2005, 07:17 PM
Ya'll makin' fun of me? I'm only fluent in two languages and Southern is one of them. I nev'r been to NC but been told they only barbeque pork, there. That is fine but in Texas we barbeque most anything. Don't tell the Methodist and Baptist churches that you can't barbeque chicken, they been selling it as fund raisers for years. Build a lot of churches with it, too.
BluesBear- I'm on your side as to barbeques sauce. Ain't got no catsup in it, at all. But it does have some vinegar and a multitude of other things. It just depends on what the maker wants to put it it.
You can get cannonized in Texas without being born he'e. Crockett and Fannin were. Cuzin Darrell, 'xcuse me, Coach Royal is next on my list and he's from North of the Red River. Tuner has done nothing but make us proud of his work and helpin' folks. If he wants his drink from the Spoetzl Brewery or from the cactus plant it's his choice. I hope to carry him what he wants.

sm
January 22, 2005, 08:59 PM
Riley...

They wuz speaking English. We just prefer the name "Southern". :neener:

I doubt you have any Moonshine in CA...Try a straight Bourbon Whiskey ( non of that blended crap) . Put on some stuff recorded in Luckenbach , TX ( Willie, Waylon, and the Boys) , Then find a Album of Jerry Jeff Walker, David Allan Coe.

Sure wish Art's Grammaw was not around...I'd share some "language" lessons...

Next thing you'll be posting about Momma, getting drunk, prison... and ...err..."tinkling in the wind"....I got past Grammaw with that - right? :p

Bill Z
January 22, 2005, 09:57 PM
Here's the answer to real BBQ, ya'll ken quit fussin' now, you jus' have to come to Georgia for the real thang.

http://www.sconyersbar-b-que.com/history.htm

saltydog452
January 27, 2005, 12:30 PM
About the only places in Augusta that I remember was 'Snappy's Hamburgers" next to Richmond Academy, the 'Waffle and the 'Brass Rail' downtown. And the 'Varsity Drive-In'.

salty.

19112XS
January 28, 2005, 11:30 PM
Oh NO! Chili and Mezcal together? Somebody needs to start filing the environmental impact statement. I’ve heard the quote for years that computers let mankind make more mistakes faster than anything else except handguns and tequila. Looks like all three are coming together in King. The place will never be the same.

No offense at all to Gus, but Mrs. Tuner will be almost impossible to surpass. Guess that’s why her and Tuner are together.

Cactus and corn squeezins are OK, but for a good time call Lagavulin or Dalwhinnie (legal age of course.) As is stated in another thread, about another subject, the "Glock is (Cactus and corn squeezins are) a cheap hooker. 1911 (Lagavulin or Dalwhinnie ) is a professional escort. both will get the job done, but one just makes the process so much more enjoyable. "(and treats you better the next day :) )– Borrowed from a thread on THR that quotes something posted on Glock Talk by p01ic3m4n 12-31-2004.

Tuner, howzit goin’?

Fed168
January 29, 2005, 01:14 PM
Chili + mezcal = weapon of mass destruction and a haz mat cleanup crew.

bratch
January 29, 2005, 02:52 PM
Corn...Fluids... I experienced that once lasted two days.

Time to run across the street to the little trailer house with a giant ceramic pig out front.

Phyphor
January 29, 2005, 03:14 PM
You're not the demographic, Tuner. Starbucks clientele are more Glock-packin' ..

HEY!
I'll have you know, even though I *DO* own a Glock 19 (along with a genuine Colt 1911A1, ) I sure as H*LL never set FOOT in any Starbucks, and I sure ain't gonna do it. Please don't tar all us Glock packers with such a wide brush...ya makin' me feel like one of them tree-huggin' beret wearin' poetry writin' coffee shop fools. :evil:

carpettbaggerr
January 29, 2005, 03:31 PM
Pretty soon, I can not only execute a fine hat-dance...I don't care who will remember it the next day.
Because you certainly won't remember!

Mezcal, the Mezkin Water of Lethe.
Ai Chihuahua!

If you enjoyed reading about "Met 1911 Tuner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!